Please, I really need your opinion.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Flutero

Please, I really need your opinion.

Post by Flutero »

Hi guys, nice to find a forum like this one.

Im 19 years old. Ive been playing the Recorder since i was 14, i can say that i play very good.

Yesterday, i saw a chinese transvesal flute in 200 dollars. I can buy it, but i have heard that if you learned first how to play the Recorder it would be almost impossible to learn the tranversal flute.

Im also worried about my age. Am i too old to learn how to play flute?

Thanks in advance
beowulf573
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Please, I really need your opinion.

Post by beowulf573 »

Flutero wrote:Hi guys, nice to find a forum like this one.

Im 19 years old. Ive been playing the Recorder since i was 14, i can say that i play very good.

Yesterday, i saw a chinese transvesal flute in 200 dollars. I can buy it, but i have heard that if you learned first how to play the Recorder it would be almost impossible to learn the tranversal flute.

Im also worried about my age. Am i too old to learn how to play flute?

Thanks in advance
I hope not, I started at 34. And I know folks who started in their 40's, 50's and 60's.

If you are serious about getting a flute I would read the archives of this site for suggestions on good starter flutes before simply buying one because it's cheap. Then go for it.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

I agree with Beowulf on this. I can't see why a previous recorder experience should prevent you from learning the flute. And at 19 you're still a kiddie anyway ("too old" :lol: ). If you want to play the flute, just go for it!
artsohio
Location: Far enough north to get the new "Dr. Who" on the CBC!

Post by artsohio »

By that logic, wouldn't it be impossible for a whistle player to learn to play the flute?

Nothings "unlearnable", just give yourself time, the right tools and patience.

Good luck!

-Janet
"Colors changing with the keys, uneven timbre, even defects in intonation were elements of instrumental playing... Lover's eyes change into virtues the beloved's defects."

-Michel Debost, "The Simple Flute"
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

What's this "too old" crapp?!?!?!??!

CONGRATULATIONS, JANET!!!!!!!!!

M
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

You may want to have a look at a recent thread along similar lines:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=24025

Oh, and try not to use the expression "too old" around here. That is liable to earn a dope slap, especially when it comes from a 19 yr old. Personally, I am standing on the frontier of geezerhood and tho' it may be a bit late to plan for an international career playing the Irish flute I will learn to play it.

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I was in my 40's when I started flute, late 30's when I started whistle. There was a time when I had set my sights low due to my advanced age and lack of dedication. I'm just as old now, but with more dedication, and I'm determined to be a damn fine flute player in a few more years.

Congratulations, Janet. Is this your first? I also thought I wouldn't make a decent parent since I started in my 40's. Parenthood's even cooler than fluting, though!
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
artsohio
Location: Far enough north to get the new "Dr. Who" on the CBC!

Post by artsohio »

I wanted to add that I think it's easier to learn a lot of things (including instruments) as an adult. You really want to learn, you appreciate the time you find to practice and try to make the most of it rather than just going through the motions because mom wants you to practice for 20 minutes.

Sometimes adults try to bite off too much though, ending in frustration when skills don't come quickly enough. Remember baby steps and patience!
chas wrote: Congratulations, Janet. Is this your first? I also thought I wouldn't make a decent parent since I started in my 40's. Parenthood's even cooler than fluting, though!
It's my second! We'll have 6 years between my son and this one. I'd take parenthood over fluting any day. Morning (and afternoon and evening) sickness on the other hand... nah, I'd even take that over fluting because it's all worth it in the end!
"Colors changing with the keys, uneven timbre, even defects in intonation were elements of instrumental playing... Lover's eyes change into virtues the beloved's defects."

-Michel Debost, "The Simple Flute"
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I play modern orchestral flute, Irish flute, and Baroque flute. I also play whistle and recorder...and I played recorder before I ever had the opportunity to learn a simple system flute.

Knowing the recorder isn't a liability; rather, I think you'll find it to be an asset.

--James
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

Too OLD!! I started the recorder at 35 the whistle at 48 and the flute at 50 I'm going to move on to the fiddle when I'm 60... now where did I leave that zimmer frame...
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Congratulations, Janet. Are you hoping for a girl this time?

With regard to learning to play the transverse flute, I played the recorder many years before I even thought about wanting to learn the flute again, after giving it up as a lost cause in grade school. I was around 50 when I started playing the flute again. The fingering seemed strange at first, because I was used to the recorder fingering, but at this point I have completely forgotten the recorder fingering. When I try to play my alto recorder, I keep missing the notes.

I taught myself how to play the fiddle after I was 45, and now at 61, I have been thinking about the piano accordian. From what I have learned on this board about session etiquette, I think that it would be a perfect session instrument. :D
bildio
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am registering due to interest in flutes and small pipes. I also have an interest in numerous other musical instruments.

Post by bildio »

Doug_Tipple wrote:, and now at 61, I have been thinking about the piano accordian. :D
Doug,

Reminds me of when I purchased a used piano accordion from a senior citizen. I asked why he was selling such a fine instrument. He said that he could no longer lift it. Now, as I am older, I understand what he meant.

Bill

PS: I prefer a button accordion.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I was only joking abut the piano accordian. I owned one once, but it is definately not the instrument for a person with a bad back. I don't know if I should mention this on the flute forum, but I recently have developed an interest in whistles. So far I have a Clark sweetone in D and a tweaked Shaw D whistle, which looks like Jerry Freeman went after it with a pair of visegrips. I have ordered several plastic Susato whistles, just to see how they sound and how they are made. I also have tried numerous times to make a good PVC whistle, but so far I haven't been satisfied with the results.

I have a question about whether notch flutes are ever used in the Keltic tradition? They allow you to play with the flute in an upright position, which feels more relaxing to me. At the same time they allow you shape the note with an embouchure, as on a transverse flute, in contrast to the fixed fipple of the whistle. Just curious.
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

Doug_Tipple wrote: I have been thinking about the piano accordian. From what I have learned on this board about session etiquette, I think that it would be a perfect session instrument. :D
I saw a second hand trombone in the market yesterday... anyone play trad on the trombone?
chas

Post by chas »

Doug_Tipple wrote:I also have tried numerous times to make a good PVC whistle, but so far I haven't been satisfied with the results.
I suspect this has occurred to you, but just in case it hasn't, you might want to fork out the $70 or so and get a Water Weasel from Glenn Schultz. Having one of those in your grips will teach you more about how to make a PVC whistle than any other method possibly could. Other than visiting with Glenn himself, of course.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.