THe Undisputed's Lovely Experience

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

THe Undisputed's Lovely Experience

Post by Dale »

I just had one of the peak moments of my 25 year career as a psychologist. I wanted to share with my whistle-blowing friends.

Some of you may remember that I do a website called www.parentingteendrivers.com, designed to do a little to combat the plague of auto accidents among new drivers. In addition, I have a workshop for parents I do on this topic...I've been doing it two or three times a year for 10 years.

So, I got invited to the Reform Temple here in Birimgham, Temple Emanuel, to do my workshop for a crowd of about 50 parents, who also brought their soon-to-be-driving kids. I did it today at 9:30 a.m., leading up to the Shabbat service. The parents were very receptive and the young people looked appropriately miserable, since much of my talk is designed to motivate parents to be tough on this driving thing and to keep firm rules and insist on a "driving contract," etc., etc.

At the conclusion of my talk, they began the Shabbat service and I was privileged to attend. The rabbi did a remarkable job of finding and preaching on an appropriate passage from the Torah and then tying it nicely into a message for the young people about protecting themselves and others by making smart choices about driving and other perils of life.

The rabbi then had all of the teenagers come up and, slightly sullen tho some were, they all recited a prayer in Hebrew together. Then the parents came up, put their hands on their own kids, and, again in Hebrew, recited a Traveler's Prayer, which according to the Talmud, should be said at the beginning of a journey. Then each young person was presented with a beautiful key chain. On one side of the key chain is the picture and logo of the temple, and on the other, this short prayer, in Hebrew and English:

May God guard our going out and coming in, for life and for peace, from now and forever.

The Traveler's Prayer should be recited at the beginning of a journey, according to the Talmud. In the prayer, the traveler asks for a safe trip.

Here is a translitered version of the Traveler's Prayer (from The Transliterated Siddur):

"Ye-hi ra-tson mi-l'fa-ne-cha,
A-do-nai e-lo-hei-nu vei-lo-hei a-vo-tei-nu,
she-to-li-chei-nu l'sha-lom,
v'ta-tsi-dei-nu l'sha-lom,
v'tad-ri-chei-nu l'sha-lom,
v'ta-gi-ei-nu lim-choz chef-tsei-nu,
l'cha-yim ul-sim-chah ul-sha-lom.
V'ta-tsi-lei-nu mi-kaf kawl o-yeiv,
v'o-reiv v'lis-tim v'cha-yot ra-ot ba-de-rech,
u-mi-kawl mi-nei fur -a-ni-yot,
ha-mit-ra-g'shot la-vo la-o-lam.
V'tish-lach b'ra-chah b'chawl ma-a-sei ya-dei-nu,
v'ti-t'nei-nu l'chein ul-che-sed ul-ra-cha-mim b'ei-ne-cha,
uv-ei-nei chawl ro-ei-nu.
V'tish-ma kol ta-cha-nu-nei-nu,
ki Eil sho-mei-a t'fi-lah v'ta-cha-nun a-tah.
Ba-ruch a-tah A-do-nai,
sho-mei-a t'fi-lah."

"May it be Your will, Lord, My God and God of my ancestors, to lead me, to direct my steps, and to support me in peace. Lead me in life, tranquil and serene, until I arrive at where I am going. Deliver me from every enemy, ambush and hurt that I might encounter on the way and from all afflictions that visit and trouble the world. Bless the work of my hands. Let me receive divine grace and those loving acts of kindness and mercy in Your eyes and in the eyes of all those I encounter. Listen to the voice of my appeal, for you are a God who responds to prayerful supplication. Praised are you, Lord, who responds to prayer."

Anyway, there were many non-dry eyes in the house, including many of the parents, a scattering of the faux-sullen teens, the rabbi, and yours truly. I am grateful for the experience.

Wanted to share.

Dale
carrie

Post by carrie »

Very lovely, Dale. A non-dry eye here as well. My daughter turns 16 in May.

Carol
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

My 2nd goes for the license this month.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

You do a great service for all of us, Dale, and I'm glad you get some reward in return.

As soon as my little one is able to see out the front of the car, I'm going to start pointing out the pitfalls, right and wrong things to do behind the wheel.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

My older girl just finished her first session in a car with an instructor today - a very timely message, and a wonderful tale to go with it.

I've visited Dale's site before - methings it's time for a return visit, with my daughter.

Dana
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

This is excellent, Dale. I'm going to print it out, one copy for each of my kids and one for me to carry with me, to read as I begin each journey. It's particularly appropriate for me, as I'm going to Israel in a few months.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Jim Wright

Driving prayer

Post by Jim Wright »

That prayer would work well for our armed forces personel .... they are constantly in harms way.

May they arrive at their destination safely and may it be home.

Thanks Dale

Jim
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

That's what I dig about you Dale: Always doing some good for the neighborhood :) Groovy.

Loren
Paul

Post by Paul »

Good on ya, Dale. I concur with Loren. And I'll add that those kinds of things DO make a difference. :)

Best,
Paul
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Nice story Dale. Sounds like an innovative Rabbi. At Shabbat services, our own Rabbi frequently asks people who are planning on traveling within the next several weeks to rise, and he offers the same prayer. Even travel done for fun carries some level of anxiety, and this is really a nice gesture and a comfort.

For those who like this traveler's prayer, it is available in portable form:
http://www.jewishsource.com/cgi-bin/sgi ... 11&UREQA=1

This item resembles a mezuzzah that you'd find on the doorpost(s) of a Jewish home, but it contains the prayer that Dale mentioned in his posting, not the usual Bible quotations normally found in a mezuzzah. My wife and I received these as a gift from a non-Jewish relative. At first I thought somewhat cynically about it, but I find that I really enjoy having it in my car. As I bustle about from place in a typical 21st Centurey rush, it reminds me of the more important aspects of life.
Mack.Hoover

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Dale,
That is a wonderful prayer!

Had I known it, I would have said it for my wife to be. Then for my three kids. And for my older sister who was almost 60 before learning to drive. I took them all for the tests. And now my grandaughter, who is learning. is certainly going to have its benefit! Thank The LORD I don't have to take her!

You're a hero; that I know!
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

That's really cool, Dale! Something like that would probably go over really well at our own church.

Robin
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Thanks for sharing and thanks for doing good in this world. Very appropriate to the season. My oldest gets license in 15 mos or so, fwiw.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Daniel_Bingamon

Re: OT: THe Undisputed's Lovely Experience

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Very nice, this would make a nice song (I'm sure they already a version - many scriptures and siddur prayers are put to music).
DaleWisely wrote:Here is a translitered version of the Traveler's Prayer (from The Transliterated Siddur):

"Ye-hi ra-tson mi-l'fa-ne-cha,
A-do-nai e-lo-hei-nu vei-lo-hei a-vo-tei-nu,
she-to-li-chei-nu l'sha-lom,
v'ta-tsi-dei-nu l'sha-lom,
v'tad-ri-chei-nu l'sha-lom,
v'ta-gi-ei-nu lim-choz chef-tsei-nu,
l'cha-yim ul-sim-chah ul-sha-lom.
V'ta-tsi-lei-nu mi-kaf kawl o-yeiv,
v'o-reiv v'lis-tim v'cha-yot ra-ot ba-de-rech,
u-mi-kawl mi-nei fur -a-ni-yot,
ha-mit-ra-g'shot la-vo la-o-lam.
V'tish-lach b'ra-chah b'chawl ma-a-sei ya-dei-nu,
v'ti-t'nei-nu l'chein ul-che-sed ul-ra-cha-mim b'ei-ne-cha,
uv-ei-nei chawl ro-ei-nu.
V'tish-ma kol ta-cha-nu-nei-nu,
ki Eil sho-mei-a t'fi-lah v'ta-cha-nun a-tah.
Ba-ruch a-tah A-do-nai,
sho-mei-a t'fi-lah."
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I love your new avatar, Daniel! :)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato