Are you Left or Right Handed

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

What is your Handedness

Left
23%
Right
68%
Ambidextrous
9%

Total votes: 79

GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

IDAwHOa wrote:Righties Rule
Lefties Drool!!!!

:lol:
Yes! Yes! Righties forever, we are The Norms! Death to the sinisters and unnaturals! :x Long live Norms! Long Li....

Sorry... :oops: We've had highly-motivating Team Yawns here all week and the gung-ho corporate morale-upsizing is infectious...

There's nothing wrong with not being a Norm... sorry.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

Cheers mate....,

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

GaryKelly wrote:There's nothing wrong with not being a Norm.
People who frequent a tinwhistle board would have to say that really wouldn't they? :D
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

You would be surprised at the number of left-handed guitarists (e.g. Mark Knopfler) who hold the guitar "normally" and the number of right-handed guitarists who hold it "upside-down".

BTW, I am an "unnatural" (ambi who slightly favors the left) who holds both the guitar and whistle "normally". :D

And no, we don't all stutter.

Watch for a companion poll! :boggle:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

I'm pretty sure some of the musicians on dubhlinns' list aren't left or right anymore :roll:
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

alespa wrote:I'm pretty sure some of the musicians on dubhlinns' list aren't left or right anymore :roll:
Dead centre.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Let's see if our poll approximates the world-wide average of about 13% lefties.
/Bloomfield
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I'm always right.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

talasiga wrote: .... I am ambisinistrous. Aren't we all?
Very nice. :)
/Bloomfield
rh

Post by rh »

i'm ambivalent. or maybe not.
there is no end to the walking
Caj

Post by Caj »

The Anglo concertina is actually a little better for lefties. So is, allegedly, the typewriter keyboard (E, T, and A comprise about 30% of English text.)

You'd be surprised how much around you has a right-handed bias without you ever noticing. For example, how many people ever realize that ATMs are right-handed? They all have the screen on the left side, with the card slot on the right. And if buttons are along the screen (or on the screen,) they will be in a column along the right edge. The assumption is that if you ever touch the thing, it will be with your right hand.

I was at a meeting where a signup sheet was passed around, and one employee remarked, "holy crap, this is a left-handed pen!" It was indeed a left-handed pen, but all of the righties thought he was either joking or crazy. After all, how can a ball-point pen be left-handed or right-handed?

It was fun watching people puzzle over the thing and not figure out what he meant. Those silly people who run the world just don't get it, eh? :wink:

Caj
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I thought that most of the ambidextrous people were just lefties who were forced by the nuns to write with the "proper" hand.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Caj wrote:
You'd be surprised how much around you has a right-handed bias without you ever noticing. For example, how many people ever realize that ATMs are right-handed? They all have the screen on the left side, with the card slot on the right. And if buttons are along the screen (or on the screen,) they will be in a column along the right edge. The assumption is that if you ever touch the thing, it will be with your right hand.
Very curious in light of the fact that drive-through ATM's, at least in the U.S., are always on the left side of the car. I am lucky in that respect for not having to get out of the car or lean my entire body out of the window to use it.
burnsbyrne wrote:I thought that most of the ambidextrous people were just lefties who were forced by the nuns to write with the "proper" hand.
Nope, I went to public school, so I'm just a freak of nature! :P
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Caj

Post by Caj »

BrassBlower wrote:Very curious in light of the fact that drive-through ATM's, at least in the U.S., are always on the left side of the car.
Well, they have to be on the driver's side. I wonder if drive-thru ATMs are designed to be less right-handed, because everyone has to use them lefty. I bet not, because right-handed is the standard.

BTW, I don't mind putting up with right-handed items (I just avoid power tools) but there is one manner of right-handed item that ticks me off. When people take a perfectly simple and ambidextrous item like a wooden spoon or frying pan, and give it some hip fancy new design, they often unwittingly make it right-handed.

Here you have an invention that people have gotten right for thousands of years, like a spoon, and some idiot redesigns it so only certain people can use it. Just like the Web has revolutionized the printed page so that colorblind people occasionally can't see it.

Caj
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

BrassBlower wrote: Very curious in light of the fact that drive-through ATM's, at least in the U.S., are always on the left side of the car. I am lucky in that respect for not having to get out of the car or lean my entire body out of the window to use it.
Still wondering, why do the drive-up machines have Braille?
Reasonable person
Walden