my neighbour thinks ITM is something for the Middle Ages!!!!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
wallacepiper1

Post by wallacepiper1 »

Hello,

this happened to me:
As I was warming up my whistle with a few tunes, a sudden knocking on the wall made me cool down again.

My neighbour was fed up with my sweet ,joyfull, charming, pleasing, singing whistle playing :lol: ...not to mention my rich , crisp sounding half concert set. At least, this I could understand.

What he said next made me very very sad...
"it is as if I'm back in the Middle Ages" the man said.
I rather took it as an assault.

What to do now? Do I have to punish him physically? :D

Even worse is that I don't dare playing anymore. Not to avoid disturbing him once a day, but it's more that music comes from my hart and knowing that somebody is hating my 'expression' is keeping me from playing...

what about your neighbours?
MikeyLikesIt
antispam: No

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

I live in an on-campus apartment with five other people, and as long as I respect their space and when they need quiet, they don't mind too much. My housemate from Germany is actually having me teach him whistle in return for lessons in German. The most frustrating thing for me, besides being poor and isolated from other pipers, is that I live in a supposedly very open-minded town where the people will try anything once. But, every once in a while I'll be practicing and hear a group of people walk by outside my room, stop, start laughing, and attempt to do some riverdancing sarcastically along with my music. This kind of narrow-mindedness and disrespect toward another's fiery passion is what really bursts my bubble. :twisted: :twisted:
maw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by maw »

I must be a fortunate one, we moved into a stone terraced house in the Derbyshire High Peak District earlier in the year and the first time I practiced, I wondered what the neihbours might think, particularly as we are renting and they know our landlady rather well. But what a surprise, both neighbours have encouraged me to keep playing as they really like ITM :boggle: How amazing is that, not one set of neighbours but two sets like it :party: :party: :party:
And to top it all, the views from the window of my bedroom where I practice, are absolutely stunning over looking Kinder Scout 8)
The Mechanoids will obey the DALEKS... or be exterminated!!!
boyd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

you should post a picture of the view......
maw

Post by maw »

Where can I upload my picture to get it on this forum??? :party:
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Here's one for ya':

http://www.imageshack.us/

Wallacepiper1, Mikeylikesit......uh...you want that I should get my cousins, Vinny and Guido, to pay a 'friendly' visit to your neighbors?
maw

Post by maw »

Cheers Joseph :)
Here's the summer view of Kinder...

It'll be even nicer soon as the snow arrives :party: :party:
Joseph E. Smith

maw wrote:Cheers Joseph :)
Here's the summer view of Kinder...

It'll be even nicer soon as the snow arrives :party: :party:
It is a nice view...snow? I miss the snow. Don't get much (any) where I currently live.
maw

Post by maw »

When we have some I'll take a pic then for you :) . we never used to get any in the city so it was a bit of a culture shock when for 3 weeks last february we opened the curtains to see the tops completely white :boggle: And we couldn't even park the car on the sloped drive because it was too slippy.
Right now the mist is rolling in over the peak. 8)
Joseph E. Smith

That would be most groovy. :)
Thies

Re: my neighbour thinks ITM is something for the Middle Ages

Post by Thies »

wallacepiper1 wrote:[...]
what about your neighbours?
Well ... I guess my direct neighbours don't care so much ... they are Finns and even if I would disturb them, they might not let me know (not to offend any Finn reading this ... but that's my experience :wink: ).
The biggest problem I'm having is the female person living with me ... So I took the consequeces and moved my pipes to my workplace and play them down in the basement in a nuclear shelter. That's pretty soundproof! :lol:

P.S.: My 100th posting! Hurray! :party:
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

I just couldn´t resit this cause I have been thinking on it myself for quite some time:
Buy a second hand telefone-booth (if you still can get one) and replace one screen by a plexiglass-bulk for the drones. You could even build a deluxe-version with a humifier, speakers and a barrel of Guinness.
Best,
Hans
brianc

Post by brianc »

Your neighbor says that your music reminds him of the middle ages?

How old is he - 70?

:lol:

Your story reminds me of the joke about the young lad from Scotland who moves away to find his fortune in life. He winds up in Sydney, Australia, where he finally gets time to call his Mother. He waxes poetic about how strange the neighbors are in his apartment complex... one of them, next door, seems to cry all the time. The neighbor upstairs constantly pounds on the floor. Still another, downstairs, can be heard screaming most times. His Mother becomes concerned that he might be associating with such strange folks. "Oh, no, not me, Ma. I keep away from them and just stay in my apartment practicing my bagpipes all day."

:D
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

MikeyLikesIt wrote: But, every once in a while I'll be practicing and hear a group of people walk by outside my room, stop, start laughing, and attempt to do some riverdancing sarcastically along with my music. This kind of narrow-mindedness and disrespect toward another's fiery passion is what really bursts my bubble. :twisted: :twisted:
I see people pretend to stepdance every now and then when I'm playing. Fortunately it's usually complimentary or at least good-natured. Sometimes it isn't. It's just part of playing trad music anywhere nowadays.

Get a thick skin about being ignored and/or unappreciated, it's absolutely necessary if you want to play any musical instrument well and that is especially true of the pipes. You want to play the pipes? Then Foxtrot Ultra Charlie Kilo the Begrudgers.

Do I make myself clear, soldier? :)
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
It is a nice view...snow? I miss the snow. Don't get much (any) where I currently live.
You can have some of mine.