So ... who's getting a whistle for Christmas?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
LisaD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

So ... who's getting a whistle for Christmas?

Post by LisaD »

Or hopes to get one? :)

Which one?

I received mine earlier this week ... a Humphrey "D" with "E"/"Eb" tubes, and am loving them.

Happy whistling, everyone!
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

I'll have to ask old Father Christmas what he's planning to bring me. Whistles are good... ocarinas... instruments in general... I need a new C French harp... Cash works too. Maybe he'll bring me some cash. Let's just hope it's not a Mervyn's gift card.
Reasonable person
Walden
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

Not me...just got a new one (an O'Brien) for my birthday in late October...lovely whistle...will eventually post something of my playing with it (apologies in advance for that! lol ;-) ).

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I had this weird experience on this topic. A year and a half ago, I ordered a high G from Mike Burke because my folk band needed a piccolo type part and I thought it was cool. Well, he doesn't make em very often. The long and short of it was that he just wasn't going to fill the order. So I forgot all about it and figured the order cancelled.

Then about a week and a half ago, I sent back my C because it has problems. A few days later, I saw this package on the doorstep and thought, "wow, that was fast."

Inside was a new blacktip alum high G. Now, the band is broke up and we don't have the gigs for the other band that might need it. But I guess I am going to keep it and pay the Mastercard fee.

So, its not really a present but is a new whistle. My latest thought is to get a new Bb and Eb so I can play along with Frankie Gavin on the Homage to Joe Cooley record. But I don't think anybody is going to give me a fancy-pants whistle for xmas that I don't pay for....

Oh yeah, about the G. It offers the option of doing those tunes you might have wanted to do with the low G with the added bonus of making some ears bleed. Playing in the upper register is sorta like that electrical shock aversion therapy. You go up at your peril and wince while you do!
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
tommyk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tommyk »

The Weekenders wrote:Inside was a new blacktip alum high G. Now, the band is broke up and we don't have the gigs for the other band that might need it. But I guess I am going to keep it and pay the Mastercard fee.
Cool! Good hands, then. I'd bet anything that is the high G I waited about four months for. I simply can't get away from wooden whistles; that sound and playability is just too dear to me. I'll still be able to "make some eardrums bleed" I'm sure; I'll have an Abell high G before Christmas.
waltcamp45

Post by waltcamp45 »

Last x-mas my favorite present was a low G whistle made by Mack Hoover. This year, I'm sure my favorite will be the low D that I ordered from Mack (er, um ... on my wife's behalf) a week ago.

Walt (who can't imagine playing -- or trying to play -- a high G)
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Well, it won't be ready in time for Christmas, but I'm getting a Busman whistle for my Dad. He'll get an IOU under the tree.

I never expected Dad to be interested in whistles, but when he saw and heard my Busman, he got that "musical instrument acquisition fever" eyes-glazed look (which in his case is usually only induced by guitars and mandolins). The really neat thing is that Paul is making the whistle out of wood from a tree that grew on the property where my Dad was born and raised.

Of course, I couldn't resist having my own whistle from the same wood, so I ordered two.

Cheers,
John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Cool story, John. :)

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

My wonderful wife along with my twins have bought me a Chieftain Tenor Eb. Its under the tree. Can't wait to blow some air through it.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
sandal

Post by sandal »

Alba Alto F tuneable and Trevor James P2 (Böhm)!

:party: :D
...the difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

i'm giving myself a copeland lowD brass and an goldie-overton lowD. :party:
andreaz54

Post by andreaz54 »

My wonderful hubby is getting me a Busman made of Macacauba wood with brass fittings!!!!!!!!Now THATS a Christmas gift!!
springrobin
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

Can't say for sure, but there's a charge to Whistle and Drum that I didn't make. I wasn't snooping- honest. Just went in to pay the bill....
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Just sold our house (closes 12/7) and will have 100K laying around.....

Any ideas? :lol:

That is actually new house building material and since I have an Overton Bass A on the way and have been quite active in the whistle market (I am on two waiting lists for 3 wooden whistles) I will probably not be doing too much more this year. The fact that I spent $4000 on camera equipment this year kinda tempers things too. :oops: I have sold a lot of reptiles and bonsai to offset some of that cost though. :D

I did make a deal for a tunable Alba High D for Renee though. Shhhhhhh, she does not know about it. She told me I could sell her non-tunable one when our Syn Alum showed up but she has mentioned the Alba a couple of times since then sooooooooooooo.......
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Yes, Barry alerted me to a wonderful deal on a Chieftain Low F. So, I shall be getting that and a flute that someone is making...