Pinky Problem and Poll

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Where is your bottom hand pinky when you are playing a high D whistle?

Firmly planted on the whistle while I play
16%
Sometimes floating, sometimes planted
47%
Free floating (and my whistle doesn't bounce along the floor as a result)
37%

Total votes: 62

fpoulenc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Pinky Problem and Poll

Post by fpoulenc »

Yikes! I was just starting to get really comfortable with my hand position, when I got Grey's flute and whistle book, where he makes clear that he believes the bottom hand pinky is essential to a stable instrument. I should note this question applies to the high D whistle, since my Low D has arrived yet. In addition to your poll answer, I am curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Andy
Ailin
antispam: No

Post by Ailin »

Something I had to actually stop to think about, but I believe the pinky always is somewhat firmly planted on the whistle.

Ailin
He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Mine is lightly resting on the whistle most of the time,but it leaves the whistle sometimes,and although I'm not sure quite what those times are,there is some kind of pattern to it.I haven't got a whistle with me at the moment (I'm at work),or I'd play a bit and try to analyze what exactly I do.
-Kelly
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Just like that Eagles song:

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling.
I know you won't let me down.
'Cause my pinky's firmly planted
On the whistle.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

mine floats freely, sometimes, it is below the whistles itself, and when i then lift it, i sometimes knock the whistle with my pinky-fingernail, audible to me of course..
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I was taught to use my D finger for stabilizing the B and C# fingerings. It took some getting used to--the having to make a mental note to put it down in the right paces and pick it up in the right places--but now I'm better at it.

Odd thing is, the tunes I learned before I mastered it I still have trouble with. It's like there is a sequence of muscle movements I use and I can't alter them.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

I use the pinky if I need it (say, when playing C#), tend to lift it if the right hand has fingers down, and otherwise it varies on the sequence of notes. It all happens quite automatically....
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

FJohnSharp wrote:Odd thing is, the tunes I learned before I mastered it I still have trouble with. It's like there is a sequence of muscle movements I use and I can't alter them.
I've noticed the exact same thing with tunes in general -- my playing has improved a lot, but the tunes I worked on hard when I was just starting out still sound disturbingly like I'm just starting out....
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

That's a problem I'm having with the Grey book, alot of it is very black and white (this wrong, that right). I never played with my pinky and was doing fine. Then I read that, put my pinky down, and it gives me trouble on some tunes. So I don't make a conscious effort to keep it down, it falls there when it needs to.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

My pinky is too short. I tried putting it down but then I had to play with my fingertips or with the piper grip. Now I just let it fly free.
Mike
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I saw a guy at a session who played with his left hand thumb off the whistle completely. The whistle was supported only by the right thumb and the left fingers seemed to fly above the whistle. Occasionally he put the thumb on the whistle for certain notes, but I didn't want to stare long enough to see which notes they were.

I tried doing it when I got home, just to see. My fingers felt a tiny bit faster, but the lack of stability wasn't worth the gain. It was probably an illusory benefit anyway.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

This may be an artifact of playing some other wind instrument. I know that since I came to whistle from recorder (where lifting the RH pinky is necessary) I normally keep it high.

I do touch it down when necessary for stability (actually, for some notes, I may put both R3 and R4 down when it doesn't affect the tone).

This is very definitely not a claim this is the one correct way - it's just what I do. And it may change if I find the pinky-down style works better for me. But for now, it seems to slow down my RH playing speed.

Dana
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

I learned from Robin Williamson's book to put my right ring finger back down on the bottom hole to keep a grip on the whistle when playing c# or gracing the b. On the vast majority of whistles out there this will not effect the tone of those notes. I've only encountered 1 whistle that has a problem with this and that is in the second octave.

Cheers,
David
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I started out with it floating, but after seeing my Burke aluminum fly up and out, coming down on ceramic tile, I began planting it. (Fortunately, the result was just a couple of minuscule dings, but I didn't want it to happen again.)
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
jen f

Post by jen f »

My pinky is too short to reach the whistle.