OT - The Home Computer in 2004 - A 50-year-old Prediction

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Darwin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT - The Home Computer in 2004 - A 50-year-old Prediction

Post by Darwin »

A friend sent me this photo from a 1954 Scientiific American. I thought that it was worth a look.

For the visually challenged, the text says:

Scientists from the RAND Corporation have created this model to illustrate how a "home computer" could look like in the year 2004. However the needed technology will not be economically feasible for the average home. Also the scientists readily admit that the computer will require not yet invented technology to actually work, but 50 years from now scientific progress is expected to solve these problems. With teletype interface and the Fortran language, the computer will be easy to use.

Back in the early '60s, Willy Ley wrote an article for Analog magazine, comparing the actual pace of technological progress with the expectations of the man on the street, scientists, and science fiction writers. He found that, in general, the actual pace far outstripped even the predictions of science fiction writers.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Dang. I like that cool steering wheel. Whatever happened to that???
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Looks more like submarine. What were they watching on that TV hanging on the wall, pre-cable and satellite days and there are no rabbit ears!

And what's with the large helm? a precursor (not Flyingcursor) to the joy stick of future computer games.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Nanohedron wrote:Dang. I like that cool steering wheel. Whatever happened to that???
I think that went to a hydraulic system that would allow unmounting of the hard disks. You know, the 10 kB disks that were projected to weigh only a half ton.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Nanohedron wrote:Dang. I like that cool steering wheel. Whatever happened to that???
Me too. You could, perhaps, install one on the front of your desk.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

and the Zenith monitor is just too cool...
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

do you mean that your computers don't look like that. where i bought mine there was a bridge for sale too.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Darwin, thanks for this. It gives me hope that they will overcome their actual little problems with lightspeed too and that human colonies in other galaxies might become reality one day.
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

This was a post that I ran on another thread. Although the incident happened 13 years after your picture was taken, computers were still pretty big machines in 1967:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My hat goes off to Tim Joyce who was in Mrs Moore's high school math class with me in 1967. True story:

Following Mrs Moore's explanation of why we needed to understand how to solve problems algebraically, Tim pointed out that he didn't need to learn the stuff because he was going to have a computer do the work for him. After everyone finished laughing at poor Tim and chiding him because no room in his house would be big enough to hold his future computer, he simply replied, "It's going to sit on my desk." When the laughter from that died away, Mrs Moore responded, "But if you want it to work, you're going to need to know how to program it." Tim remarked, "Other people will have already done that for me." Freaky stuff -- Tim was either a prophet or a time traveller . . . I'm still not sure which.

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

MarkB wrote:Looks more like submarine.
It is a submarine. Or rather, a mock up of the maneuvering room of one from a Smithsonian Institution exhibit -- http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/computer.asp
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

The unit pictured there is actually much smaller than the first computer that I actually got to touch. It was really interesting to walk through the memory. However it was rather warm from all of those vacuum tubes. I forget whether it was one tube per bit or two tubes per bit. They had 26 volt filaments that were operated on 12 volts to prolong the life. That was computing then. It was much less complicated. Of course we didn't have Bill Gates.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

gonzo914 wrote:
MarkB wrote:Looks more like submarine.
It is a submarine. Or rather, a mock up of the maneuvering room of one from a Smithsonian Institution exhibit -- http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/computer.asp
Very funny! Just last week I was telling the friend who sent it to me how to check Snopes after she sent me some bogus story.

Can't believe anything anymore. :cry:

Thanks for pointing that out, gonzo.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
emmline

Post by emmline »

Leave it to Snopes to straighten us gullibles out.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Re: OT - The Home Computer in 2004 - A 50-year-old Predictio

Post by Tony »

....Scientists from the RAND Corporation have created this model to illustrate how a "home computer" could look like in the year 2004....
I'm so 'there'... now where did I put my 3D glasses??
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

emmline wrote:Leave it to Snopes to straighten us gullibles out.
I sure took the bait: hook, line & sinker. Although I thought the steering wheel -- or helm -- was a little fishy.

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!