Playing two whistles at once....how do you do it?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
boyd
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

I like the idea of playing three :lol:

B
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

boyd wrote:I like the idea of playing three :lol:

B
:wink:
Rod Sprague
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Rod Sprague »

I have seen pictures of instruments that consist of two six holed whistles connected together or made as a unit in one piece of clay or wood. I believe the trick was to use the pipers grip with one hand and the fingertips with the other hand on one whistle and do the reverse hand wise with the other whistle. By holding the hands and bending the fingers just right I believe you could play any two fingerings, even with half-holings, with the same dexterity it takes to play the guitar. I imagine playing notes in two different octaves was where things could get complex, but perhaps using the tongue to reduce the airflow to the lower note might do the trick. A novice probably had to do things rather slowly and work up in speed after getting the hang of the instrument. When I think about how hard it would be to play such an instrument, I imagine it took a lot of practice, but would not be much harder than playing different notes and rhythms at the same tempo with both hands as required in much of the keyboard repertoire.

Rod
bjs

Post by bjs »

There was a guy from (I think) Sicily touring with Kathryn Tickell a year or two back. he played two `whistles' at once. I understood this double thingy to be a standard instrument in some out of the way place. The music was fantastic and I've often wondered if a recording is available somewhere.

Brian
michael_coleman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

I suggest using the same brand of whistle as using different whistle makers means that each note pitch will have a greater chance of being different. I did it with 2 sweetones a few years back and it worked wonderfully. Playing things in G tends to work the best....
Impempe

Post by Impempe »

Has anyone seen "Big Voice Jack" play 2 whistles? I have a CD of his - absolutley awesome. He played with the Dave Matthews band a few years back with 2 whistles - different keys Low G and C I think - and brought the house down.
Democracy without morality is impossible. Jack Kemp
John S

Post by John S »

You can do this with 2 GHB chanters by blocking holes 2,3 and 4 on one and holes 5,6,7 and 8 on the other. Normal GHB pipe fingering gives a scale with an A drone.

John S