Taking a Step Up. Little Help?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Crevan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Taking a Step Up. Little Help?

Post by Crevan »

Hello all,

I often read this forum but I don't often make a post. I'm a quiet guy, what can I say?

I'm looking for a more professional, high-end, excuse for spending lots of money on whistles, whistle.

I know what I need in a whistle but not what types of whistles will deliver said needs.

I would like something durable that I will not be afriad to break or use as a workhorse. I enjoy a sweet tone such as a Clarke ... Sweet Tone. I enjoy whistles that require quite a bit of air. With that said, I generally don't like whistles that have an airy or very traditional sound. I don't like the Feadog whistle very much for example.

I enjoy the sound of the original Clark whistle but it doesn't have enough oomph. I enjoy the volume, control and feel of the Susato, the tone of the Sweet Tone and the character of the Generation. If only there were some way to combine their greatest attributes into one super-whislte.

Well, there you have it. I tried to describe my whistle needs in a way I could understand. I'm looking for something versatile in the key of D, something to fill that little void in my heart that says: "There's a whistle out there for you Crevan, you just have to find it!" Any suggestions? I could use a little help narrowing down the choices.

Thanks!
-Kevin
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

A couple of thoughts come to mind: either a Sindt or a wide-bore brass pro Burke might be worth trying.

--James
Crevan

Post by Crevan »

I was considering a Burke but the Sindt is a new idea for me to look at, thanks for your opinion!
-Kevin
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

I second the Sindt.
mdutr0

Post by mdutr0 »

I don't have any experience with the Sindt, but I can vouch for the Burke! That baby is designed to be a workhorse. Just make sure you get something larger than the narrow bore models if you like to blow a lot.

Micah
Once you go Hoover, you never go back.

Winner, Honorable Mention, 2003 "Excellence in C&F Posting"
"Need assistance in ingoring the rules? I can help!"
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

Most DEFINITELY, NOT a Sindt! It is the most pure-sounding whistle on the planet and doesn't require much air. In fact, I think it is the total opposite of what you are asking for.

A wide-bore Burke is closer, but it's not airy-sounding.

you want something durable, so how about a delrin Abell? It will have oomph and that slightly airy sound you like in the Clarke. Yup, that's my recommendation.
~JessieD
Crevan

Post by Crevan »

Thanks for the help guys. You've given me a good idea as to where to start the research.

As for having to choose between the two finalists... I'll probably end up buying a couple anyways. :roll: I can't help it. My friends and family tell me I have a problem. Don't look at me like that.
-Kevin
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Crevan wrote:I'll probably end up buying a couple anyways. :roll: I can't help it. My friends and family tell me I have a problem. Don't look at me like that.
I'm in the Burke camp, but only because I haven't tried the others. To be clear, I'll always be in the Burke camp and may also join the Abell camp (or the Sindt camp) when the opportunity presents itself.

As for family concerns about your "whistle" problem, tell them not to worry. I'm sure there must other vices that are less socially acceptable. Besides, collecting whistles is less expensive than most other collectables; takes up less space and will provide you with many opportunites to make new friends in pubs, taverns and bars around the world.
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Crevan wrote:I would like something durable that I will not be afriad to break or use as a workhorse. I enjoy a sweet tone such as a Clarke ... Sweet Tone. I enjoy whistles that require quite a bit of air. With that said, I generally don't like whistles that have an airy or very traditional sound. I don't like the Feadog whistle very much for example.
empahsis added above
JessieK wrote:Most DEFINITELY, NOT a Sindt! It is the most pure-sounding whistle on the planet and doesn't require much air. In fact, I think it is the total opposite of what you are asking for.
A wide-bore Burke is closer, but it's not airy-sounding.

you want something durable, so how about a delrin Abell? It will have oomph and that slightly airy sound you like in the Clarke. Yup, that's my recommendation.
I had to read it a couple of times to get try to get what he was asking for. I did not think Clarkes were pure and not airy either, but based on his quoted desire above, maybe he is looking to change to a more pure tone?

Anyway....

Burkes are probably a good choice but what about the Busman Delrin??? The sound is not absolutely pure, but it is very close. My only question would be in the volume catagory compared to the Burke wide bores.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

If you don't want a traditional sound or a pure tone, and you like a lot of air, look into a Seery delrin whistle. They may be right up your alley. But avoid a Sindt or a Burke as neither are highly un-traditional in their tone nor would I class either of them as air hogs. You *might* also like the sound of a Shaw.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Well, he likes the Sweetone sound. That's not pure.
~JessieD
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Personally, I don't think you can wrong, no matter what sound or playability you think you're looking for, with the Burke Black Tip D Brass (which is the newer wide bore session model with delrin fipple). I also have an Abell delrin, which is closer to what you describe as Jessie said, and it's one of my favorites as well. Abell mouthpiecess may take some getting used to though - they're sort of well, stubby. Good luck and enjoy.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Crevan

Post by Crevan »

Sorry for my confusing description. I'm not completely "down" with the lingo just yet, that's why I tried to use preferred whistle types as opposed to my confusing terminology.

All suggestions duly noted. Thanks guys!
-Kevin
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

It seems you really only have one perfect solution. Start by getting one each of the following:

Burke wide-bore brass black tip
Burke narrow-bore aluminum black tip
Sindt
Syn aluminum
Busman Delrin
Humphrey

Try them for a while and sell the ones you don't like (if any). If still not satisfied, sell them all and go on to another group.

You see, it's really very simple. :) Within a year or two, you should have settled on a couple dozen that you really like.

The Syn aluminum is inexpensive ($38 at Gaelic Crossings) and very sturdy. Its tone is a bit like the Burke narrow-bore, but it doesn't seem as loud.

The Busman Delrin is also very sturdy. It takes pretty aggressive playing, especially in the second octave. If you're just noodling around, you may drop back into the first octave.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I was quite happy transitioning from a sweetone as my primary whistle to a Silkstone PVC.