WHAT MAKES JIGS & REELS & AIRS DIFFERENT???

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

colomon wrote:
FJohnSharp wrote:I doubt that anyone is confusing reels and jigs. But there are several reels that share the names of jigs, and vice versa. That gets confusing.
Actually, in the wider world of trad music, it's not that uncommon to mix-up the tune types. The example that comes to mind is "Farewell's Reel", which is a jig by Emile Benoit, but I'm pretty sure there are quite a few similar examples out there.

I stand corrected. I also remember that there are hornpipes that are played with a lilt and those that are played straight, like a rell. This is confusing too.

The bottom line is, there is no guideline or roadmap or shortcut mnemonic. It takes years to learn it, one wonderful tune at a time.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

if you can hear a rhythm going :
1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4..etc, then it's a reel.
if you can hear a rhythm going:
JigedyJigedyJigedy...well, then it's a Jig. :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

peeplj wrote:
Edited to add that reels are not necessarily played very fast; in fact, the slow reel is a valid form in itself.

True, but even a "slow" reel moves along at a pretty decent moderato. I think a lot of the relaxed feel of a slow reel has as much to do with the way you feel it and play it as with the actual tempo.

--James
Pace make the reel fast or slow. Not wanting to nitpick, but take, for example, L. Nugent's playing of The Windy Gap (which is also known as Far from Home) followed by Lady Anne Montgomery (track 9 on his 3rd album The Windy Gap). I don't know if that's moderato or not, but, to credit your point, it's WAY relaxed for sure! Slow, even. Same thing with track 4 on the same album, Cuz Tehan's/The Old Grand Spey. On the other hand, Marcas Ó Murchú also played Fir an Ghuail (The Coal Miners) as a slow reel on his album Ó Bhéal go Béal, but at a slightly faster clip than the abovementioned, and the feel was more deliberate and even jaunty despite the pace. I don't know from moderato. Maybe these reels are such. In any case, they're slow to me. :)
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Nanohedron wrote:As for 4/4 or 2/2 for reels, it's all in the playing. You can play a reel "one two THREE four", too, which is something I like to do because the flute allows it. Varying the emphases in the course of playing a tune isn't out of the question, which is perhaps why the 4/4 designation serves well.
2/2 versus 4/4 doesn't really have anything to do with emphasis; it's about where the pulse of the music is. Heck, it's pretty common for Sligo flute players to play "one AND two AND" -- but I guarantee you if you counted out "one two three four" to start a reel, they'd think you just counted two measures of music. Reels have two beats to a measure, it's as simple as that.

(Okay, being the picky basmati that I am, I feel obliged to point out that there are occasional exceptions -- there's a great Emile Benoit reel whose B part is in 3/2, for instance, and some nice French-Canadian tunes that drop a beat.)
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

colomon wrote:Heck, it's pretty common for Sligo flute players to play "one AND two AND" -- but I guarantee you if you counted out "one two three four" to start a reel, they'd think you just counted two measures of music. Reels have two beats to a measure, it's as simple as that.
Only for those grounded in standard Western music theory. I'm not. :lol: See, if you're thinking "one-and-two-and", what you're saying makes sense especially since you specified that angle of thinking. Without that, any number of people might have misunderstood. It's not something that's self-evident; not all musicians have theory. It doesn't make them lesser ones for it, just not on the same page when it comes to talking shop. For me, every note's a beat. It's for me to emphasise it or not. Every now and then I have to remember to think differently when I'm dealing with formally trained musicians for communication's sake. The job gets done all the same, in any case.
:)
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

colomon wrote:It's pretty common for Sligo flute players to play "one AND two AND" -- but I guarantee you if you counted out "one two three four" to start a reel, they'd think you just counted two measures of music.
Just flute players from Sligo? ;)

Actually I think the counting might depend on how fast you play the reels. I spent a lot of time listening to and watching a well-known fiddler in sessions in London years ago. When the reels began to come to the boil he would start tapping his foot in double-time, heel and toe - four to a bar. This was a sure sign that the excitement level was about to head into the stratosphere.

In more than one band I have played in I or another musician would count a whispered 1-2-3-4 as a lead in to fast reels, and that was one bar's worth.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

FJohnSharp wrote:I doubt that anyone is confusing reels and jigs. But there are several reels that share the names of jigs, and vice versa. That gets confusing.
You'd be surprised. I don't know about websites, but I have a couple of books that have jigs listed as reels and vice versa (and one that even has a hornpipe listed as a "jig"!). The Mel Bay books are notorious for messing such things up (don't even get me started on their translations of the Irish titles!).

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Sandy Jasper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sandy Jasper »

Well put Peeplj!

S.J.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Nothing. They're all the same.

From time to time we start on different notes for variety's sake.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

amar wrote:if you can hear a rhythm going :
1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4..etc, then it's a reel.
if you can hear a rhythm going:
JigedyJigedyJigedy...well, then it's a Jig. :)
Three jigedys? Wouldn't that be a slip jig?

My own way of explaining it is that if it goes did-dl-ey did-dl-ey, did-dl-ey did-dl-ey it's a jig.

If it goes diddle diddle, diddle diddle it's a reel.

Jigs and reels are very easy to tell apart, and if you listen to one after the other then you'll probably never confuse them. What can sometimes baffle a beginner is telling the difference between reels and hornpipes.

Airs tend to be slower, and tend to be done in a much looser kind of time. For example, Boolavogue is often written down in waltz time, but if you listen to many recorded versions where it's done air style (not as in air-guitar though), particularly the Dubliners instrumental version you'd probably never guess what the time sig was supposed to be.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

I think the bottom line with airs is that they are song tunes. Some move along quite briskly, some are very slow, some are highly ornamented a la sean nos singing, etc.

I can't remember who came up with this mnemonic, but it's stood me in good stead:

A reel: "watermelon, watermelon"

A double jig: "jiggedy, jiggedy"

A hornpipe: "upsy-daisy, upsy-daisy"

Redwolf
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Redwolf wrote: A reel: "watermelon, watermelon"
A hornpipe: "upsy-daisy, upsy-daisy"
:lol: :lol:
I think I feel a tune coming on... with these great titles, somebody ought to have written them by now:

Watermelon Reel and Upsy-Daisy Hornpipe

Or should we really confuse them and write the Upsy-Daisy Jig and the Jiggedy Reel... :P

Jennie
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

And which kind of jig goes with "paradimethylaminobenzaldehyde"?

Best wishes,
Jerry
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Jerry Freeman wrote:And which kind of jig goes with "paradimethylaminobenzaldehyde"?

Best wishes,
Jerry
Double jigs. Just try singing it to the tune of "Irish Washerwoman" :wink:

Redwolf