Ideas for the whistle and preschoolers?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
fpoulenc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ideas for the whistle and preschoolers?

Post by fpoulenc »

In a shamless bid to get more playing time on my whistle, I agreed to play for 15 minutes with my daugther's preschool class. I have several ideas of songs with motions, dances, etc. but wondered if any of you have ideas or have done something similar. I don't have enough whistles to let them all play (and wouldn't want to be in the room if I did), so this will have to be some kind of interactive thing where I am playing and they are listening, moving, or singing. What do think?

P.S. If someone would mention how important it is for me to have several hours to practice each night, I can print this thread and show it to my wife... :D
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Is that your daughter in the picture? Sounds like fun!

One thing I've found that little ones really love is to hear again (and again, and again, ad nauseum) the tunes they know. If you can have a handy list of popular preschool songs, and work them in somehow... or have a time to take requests.

If you want them to be seated during music time, you can have them use a prop (beanie baby or doll) to move to the music, and try slow and faster tunes.

On the same note, using a story they already know and then working in music as you tell it can be pretty much fun. Sort of a la Peter and the Wolf, if you have a short theme for different characters or events, you can have kids dramatize a story. Or use motions that go with each tune.

Since the desire to toot is so strong, is there a way you could have one child, or maybe two, have a chance to blow into a whistle each time? Make out a schedule so they each get a turn (like the snack server) and you hold the whistle and do the fingering for them. Or have them do the fingers and you blow. Just something to consider.

I bet you will all have a blast. :D
Jennie
Feadan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Feadan »

Well you could first play The ABC song. Follow that with Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star and round it all off with Baa, Baa Black Sheep.... :wink:

(sorry...couldn't resist :D )

Cheers,
David
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Feadan wrote:Well you could first play The ABC song. Follow that with Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star and round it all off with Baa, Baa Black Sheep.... :wink:

(sorry...couldn't resist :D )

Cheers,
David
:lol:

Just so long as it's not Danny Boy. :devil:
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

fpoulenc

My daughter is a music teacher in VA. I went to her class for the artist in residence program this past March. The smallest children were pre-K. I played "The Butterfly" for them. They each had a long scarf to hold like wings and they loved fluttering around to the music. I played it on my hammered dulcimer but it is really neat played on the whistle too. I played Shephards Hay on my whistle for an older group of kids and they danced to it. When the students come into the class room they have a Welcome (circle) song they sing and before they leave they sing a goodbye (circle) song. I learned the goodbye song and they sang it with my whistle. I don't recall the name of the song now but it was a very simple melody.

They will love whatever you play. I taught them about low and high tones and soft and quiet sounds so it was also a learning experience for them. I had as much fun as the children and I learned a new respect for the patience my daughter has being a teacher! :lol: :boggle: Have fun! Oh and 15 minutes will fly by very fast with a group of preschoolers!!! :lol:

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
flatlandfiddler

Post by flatlandfiddler »

Pop Goes the Weasel - it's even traditional.

Dingle Regatta - they know it as "Bippity Boppity Boo"

Seriously, they'll love anything. I play whistle for kids all the time. The sheer fact that an adult is playing music for them is weird enough ("I thought music came out of little boxes") that you'll sell it on shock value alone.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

oooo Kathy, I like the "Butterfly" idea!!! I may have to try that one with my little ones here at home. :)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

izzarina wrote:oooo Kathy, I like the "Butterfly" idea!!! I may have to try that one with my little ones here at home. :)
It was wonderful fun! :) The kids loved it as much as I did. I am sure that there are lots of songs about animals that could be adapted for this kind of thing. Like the "Baby Elephant Walk", "Spotted Pony".

Lolly Cross has some great whistle tunes on her both of her CD's that kids would love. She made the first CD with her Grand Daughter Lisa in mind. You can check them out and get a listen on CDBaby.

The first CD is here: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/lollycross

The 2nd one is here: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/lollycross2

Cheers,
john swinton
Location: in front of a computer, whistle in one hand, mouse in the other

Post by john swinton »

something they know the words to like old macdonald had a farm.

also, get them up and about for some and sit them down for others.

enjoy :lol:
* # ~ WHISTLE TILL YOU DROP ~ # *

(or your lungs colapse!)

John :lol:
fpoulenc

Post by fpoulenc »

Thanks everyone for the input. My preschool "gig" is next Friday, so I will certainly be incorporating your ideas. Jennie, that is my daughter in the picture. Thanks too, David for your suggestions, I happen to know all three of those songs; if only I could figure out some way to put them together in a medley or something :)
Kathy, I don't believe I know the Butterfly song; is it a familiar tune?
chattiekathy

Post by chattiekathy »

fpoulenc wrote: Kathy, I don't believe I know the Butterfly song; is it a familiar tune?
If you go to the clips and snips site here here on C&F. http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/jigs.html It is a jig. There are 3 examples of it there. Lolly's version is nice and also down at the very bottom of the page, is one by Jason King that is on a low whistle it is also really nice. The sheet music can be found at: http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/findtune.html Just type in The Butterfly and click the "Find Wide" button and you will get a bunch of versions of it.

I hope it all goes well for you! Best of Luck! Let us know how it went!

Cheers,
fpoulenc

Post by fpoulenc »

Thanks so much, Kathy! Between the Butterfly, Christmas songs, all the standard kid songs I play at home, I should have plenty of music and lots of fun!
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

izzarina wrote:oooo Kathy, I like the "Butterfly" idea!!! I may have to try that one with my little ones here at home. :)

This is where all the menfolk gradually filter into the other room.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

Flyingcursor wrote: This is where all the menfolk gradually filter into the other room.

Wimp! :D

Cheers,
David
fpoulenc

Post by fpoulenc »

Feadan wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote: This is where all the menfolk gradually filter into the other room.

Wimp! :D

Cheers,
David
Darn, David! You beat me to it! :D