Anyone played the Low D Aluminum Whistle by Cillian O'Briain

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
fpoulenc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by fpoulenc »

Have you played this whistle? What do you think?
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

i'm sorry but the last i've heard is that he stopped making low D's, and he sold his last low D this summer.
he only works on uilleann pipes.
run a search on "cillian o'briain" for a review. and if you like it, somebody might be willing to sell...
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I had a low C/D set earlier this year. They are VERY free blowing and take a bit of air to keep filled. Nice sound and made well. The finger stretch was harder than my Overton Low D. I opted to stick with my Overton for a metal low D.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I agree that the Low D was a bit too free-blowing, but I have an F# that is terrific.
~JessieD
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I had a Low D by Cillian for a short time. It is a little breathy, but thought that it was a very fine Low D all around. I also heard that he had halted making whistles to focus all his time on pipes.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I have a tuneable Low D and a non-tuneable Low F. I like them both; someone else on the Board, who loves Overtons, did not like them. The D has relatively large tone holes which could be a problem for some.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Fergmaun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fergmaun »

Uilleann piper Paddy Keenan plays Cillian O'Briain low whistle D and E on the cd he made with Tommy O' Sullivan "THE LONG GRAZING ACRE"

http://www.paddykeenan.com/grazing/index.htm
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
Sam_T
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Sam_T »

Also, piper Martin Nolan plays one on his "Bright Silver Dark Wood" album. I bought one on the strength of his rendition of "Over the moor to Maggie" and have never looked back. Sure, the finger spacing takes some getting used to but they make a really beautiful, distinctive sound - really quite different to any other low D I've played/heard.

Sam
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I have his low F that I never play.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

if anyone's still interested, shanna quai sells maybe the last of the o'briains
http://www.shannaquay.bigstep.com/item. ... RID=872458
moxy

Post by moxy »

lixnaw wrote:i'm sorry but the last i've heard is that he stopped making low D's, and he sold his last low D this summer.
he only works on uilleann pipes.
run a search on "cillian o'briain" for a review. and if you like it, somebody might be willing to sell...
He still has a low E and low Eflat I think. I met him a few weeks ago, in his shop, and he showed them to me. I couldn't play them at all, but that's because I couldn't get the right grip (not used to it yet). They're nice - 150 euros each.

(but like someone said, perhaps some shops still carry some of his previous stock)
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

I'm with Sam on this one (well put Sam), only I went looking for one after I heard Paddy Keenan play his on 'Mary Bravender' from the Long Grazing Acre cd.

In my opinion, well worth the efforts of getting to know it! Of course, the tone may or may not be your cup of tea. Listen to the clips to get a rough idea of what they sound like-it will be different in person. It does require a bit more lung capacity, and a good finger stretch.
~~~~
Barry