Favorite Ballads - Songs that Tell a Story

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Star of the County Down

Maid Who Sold Her Barley

The Rising of the Moon

Foggy Dew

Kevin Barry
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

The Humors of Whiskey
There Were Roses
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Among my favourite narrative ballads would have to be Martin Carthy and Dave Swarbrigs version of this song.

http://www.elyrics.net/go/l/lloyd-lyric ... ns-lyrics/

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Joe_Atlanta
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Joe_Atlanta »

Saw a pretty good movie last night, October Sky, based on Homer Hickam's Rocket Boys, a must see for Chris Cooper fans or anyone looking for feel good movie (or anyone like me who can actually remember the '50s :D ). It was set in a small Appalachian coal town and got me thinking about mining songs.

Blue Diamond Mines - Jean Ritchie
1913 Massacre - Woody Guthrie (never heard it by Woody, but Jack Elliot has a couple of recorded versions)
Paradise - John Prine (not a ballad, still a good story song)
TomB

Post by TomB »

Almost anything by Chris de burgh. Most folks may know him only as the guy who sang "Lady in Red" but that song really does not do him justice. His lyrics are typically phenomenal.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

As this thread goes way past Irish Trad musuic, here are a few of my current favorites

Irish - Lough Melvin's Shore (Chulua)
Kevin Barry

Leonard Cohen - The Gypsy's Wife

Emmy Lou Harris - Michangelo

Lyle Lovet - This Old Porch
- L.A. County - (country stalker story with rock beat!)

Kasey Chambers - Paper Aeroplane
Nullarbor Song (feels like a ballad, but I'm not sure)

On the subject of Kasey Chambers, can any of our Australian friends offer any insight as to how she's preceived there. I find her voice a little odd, but very appealing. Her song writing is good and geting better.
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Thanks for everyone that has contributed so far, over 200 ballads with many a forgotten favorite. Here are some links to some that were mentioned above So many stories shared, I wonder at the richness of life that connects us so.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
ancatsidhe

Post by ancatsidhe »

hm... I don't think I've seen any of these posted yet:

Child Noryce (the version with which I'm familar is done by Kornog on their self-titled album)

Edward

Willie's Lady

The Errant Apprentice (Andy M. Stewart-- very funny)

Go Home, Girl
New York Girls (both of which are really story-songs, I guess, but they amuse me, too)

The Two Sisters (which has been posted several times... I still like it)

Gypsy Davie (and any variation thereon)

Willam Taylor (same deal, though the first rendition with which I fell in love was Patrick Streets)

The Slip Jigs and Reels (performed by the House Band. I think they wrote it too, but I don't have the linernotes to check...)

I also noticed that there was no mention of 'Rocky Road to Dublin.' Couldn't that be considered a story song as well? or is everyone too drunk by the time they get around to singing it that no one notices?
"... Even the Atheists are Lutheran-- It is a Lutheran God they do not believe in." ~Garrison Keillor
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

ancatsidhe wrote:The Slip Jigs and Reels (performed by the House Band. I think they wrote it too, but I don't have the linernotes to check...)
Steve Tilston wrote that song -- it's on his Of Moor and Mesa. Fairport Convention also covered it. He's written a number of other great story songs -- "The Naked Highwayman" comes to mind.

I think my current favorite story song is "Tickle Cove Pond".
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)