Bellows to bag Flex Hose

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Bellows to bag Flex Hose

Post by Tony »

This subject has been discussed several times, so I thought it best to give it a thread of it's own for easier search in the future.

Currently, most pipers are using smooth thick walled black rubber radiator hose with a 16mm (3/4") inside diameter. It's cheap, about $1 a foot from any auto parts store. The problem with this hose is many pipers find this hose usually too rigid for comfort.

I had a traditional leather hose on my O'Grady set and it was too soft. I ended up inserting soft clear plastic tubing inside the leather to keep it from kinking and closing off the airflow.

There is a clear vinyl/plastic hose available from The Home Depot that has white woven reinforcing but it's no better than the radiator hose.

A few pipers have been seen using a ribbed hose but none of them have revealed their source.

Instead of radiator hose, I did a search on steering boot and came up with this source:
http://www.tconl.com/~chase/steering_shaft_boot.htm

Is this the elusive hose we seek??

djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

That certainly looks the part, but I wonder what the dimensions are. My blow pipe tube is 0.5" ID. I'll have to chase this one down at the auto store or Home Depot.

Also, while I understand the basics of a quick disconnect, does anyone familiar with them know if they can be adapted to a flex hose like this?

Thx,

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
upiper71

Re: Bag to Bellows air hose

Post by upiper71 »

Ever try the type of indoor water-line hose for your house and covering it with a piece of leatherette for esthetics?

Daryl
peterbb

Post by peterbb »

There is a corrugated plastic hose frequently used on boats for bilge pump discharge, etc. It has a flat section every foot for clamping - should be available from most marine supply stores.

See http://www.westmarine.com, and search for "Bilgeflex hose"
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

Thanks Peter...
I found this link with a picture:
http://www.associated-hose.com/product_ ... 0&action=4

Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I've seen that black flex tubing somewhere, Tony. Maybe under the hood on my MGA. Maybe scuba gear?

The clear reinforced tube that came with my SG set looks something like this...
I like it. It's stiff enough to keep the bag pushed away, yet still bends a little.
djm

Post by djm »

We may be working at cross purposes here. I am trying to get away from the stiff hose thing and go for something loose and flexible that won't pull off when I reach for the bass drone or the mouse. The quick disconnect is just gravy, of course, but nice to have if I can find the parts.

djm
Tony

Post by Tony »

Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

...cool. I particularly like the 'scrub green' hose. :D
Mike Hulme
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Medical Hose

Post by Mike Hulme »

See if you can find the hoses which are used in anaesthetics. The ones I have are marked "Cavis Benz". They are fairly rigid, but conform nicely under warm water, and they shrink nicely onto the mounts.

Mike
Tony

Post by Tony »

Mike, this stuff??
Jay-eye

Post by Jay-eye »

I'm only a newbie at this UP stuff, but I've slapped on a piece of auto radiator hose, 'coz I'm pretty sure that's what I took off. It's 15mm ID and it's a tight but workable fit. It also meant I could take off some ropey looking thread and just push fit onto the grooved brass thingy.

I'm wondering, though, what's the criteria for a good bellows pipe? What qualities should I be looking for? And is length just a matter of the best ergonomics?

j.i.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Jay-eye wrote:I'm wondering, though, what's the criteria for a good bellows pipe? What qualities should I be looking for? And is length just a matter of the best ergonomics?

j.i.
...One that provides an ample, uninhibited amount of air to the bag that is crimp free, and one that is of good length to promote the proper posture of the piper....no hunching. :D
Last edited by Joseph E. Smith on Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
djm

Post by djm »

Something that fits your personal girth so that the bellows and bag are far enough apart for you to work them easily. It has to fit snugly over the blow pipes on the bag and bellows.

I too use a 1/2" ID radiator hose. Its cheap and functional. As noted above, some like the stiffness of the radiator hose to actually keep the bag pushed up under the arm opposite the bellows. I agree this is helpful, but personally find that this length is never sufficient for doing anything with the bellows arm like reach for the mouse or reach for the bass drone unless I take the bellows strap off, do whatever, and strap the bellows on again. I have seen several people with flex hose, and some also with quick disconnects, but they don't seem to know where these things come from, i.e. they came with the pipes. Thus my questions.

Lots of good ideas here. I will follow up and see what works and, more importantly, find out if I even like the flex hose and quick disconnects better than the radiator hose.

djm
Mike Hulme
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mike Hulme »

Tony, Yes that's the stuff. You leave it to become pliable in warm - hot water and it slips over the mounts wet, and shrinks down as it dries.

Mike