straight or conical bores, what do you play the most?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

how much do you play conical whistles?

never
33%
about 20%
33%
about 40%
5%
about 60%
5%
about 80%
17%
all the time
7%

Total votes: 42

lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

straight or conical bores, what do you play the most?

Post by lixnaw »

i was just wondering, conical whistles don't represent 10% of the whole range,
but how much do they get played?

EDIT:if you play your conicals less then 10%, please click on never.
Last edited by lixnaw on Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

I picked the answer(20%) closest to the actual amount(5%)that I play conical. My issue with the one I own, a tweaked Shaw, isn't its conicicity, it's the feel and bulk of the block I don't like.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I guess I mostly play the Clarke Original which is conical, and the Adler non-Weltmeister, which is cylindrical. So that might put it at 50-50, though I surely play the other whistles to some extent.

My ocarina has a conical bore. A true cone. Well... more like a sweet potatical bore.
Reasonable person
Walden
Paul

Post by Paul »

I play my Copelands a lot so I picked 60%. It's probably more like 50% though. My low whistles are not conical, and, ever since I retrofitted the first whistle I ever bought, a 13 or so year old Walton's D tube with a Mack Hoover Whitecap, I've been playing it quite a bit.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Call me old fashioned if you like but I never play anything but beat up generations.Never really felt happy on anything else.Tone,it's all in the tone.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I would have chosen less than 5% if I could have. I have two: Clark original which I almost never play and a Sweetone C that I sometimes play, but only because it's my only C. It's out of tune and as soon as get another C, I'll put it forever in a drawer.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I only have 3 conical whistles Clarke original, Sweetone, Meg. I rarely ever play them. I don't like the sound. If I had a high end conical it might get played more often. Alba, Hoover/Oak, Gens, Feadog, Waltons are the whistles that get played regularly. I prefer D and Eb whistles but play other keys as well.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Love my MEG, not crazy about my Sweetone, despise my Walton, but there's something wrong with it me thinks.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I would have gone for 3 percent if it had been available. As it is, I picked 20.

I have three. One is a self-tweaked Clarke Original, which I never play anymore. I just have too many whistles that I like much, much better--and not all of them get a lot of play.

Two are wood--blackwoods from Bleazey and Sweet. They do get played, but somewhat rarely. Maybe I'll play them more after the move, if I can come up with a way to have them out and immediately available. It's not so much that I dislike like their sounds in any absolute way as it is that there are so many others that I like better. Even whistes that I like a lot, like the Burke C, don't get the play that they deserve.

I had a Shaw low G for a while, but the finger stretch was painful, so I traded it off. I guess I would have played it more than the conicals that I still have, just because of the key--and the fact that it could be left lying about without much fear of damage.

Conical-bore whistles are supposed to have better over-all intonation, but my ear isn't very good, so that's not much of a factor for me.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

oops, sorry I didn't vote.

Anyway, I play my tweaked Shaw a LOT! I immediately loved the sound, it has something indescribable about it, it's bell-like or something, I don't know.
Others are much better at describing things than I.

I sanded and polished its wooden block, then buffed it with bees wax so it's nice and smooth.
I also sanded down the seam on the bottom, so that's smooth, too.
My hand fits the whistle very well.

And when I listened to a skilled whistler play it a while back, side to side with my O'Riordan, it weighed in VERY favorably ~ beautiful tone.
I only wish I could get it to speak more easily on the uppermost notes of the second octave, but that's me, not the whistle. The other person who played it had no such trouble.....

Mary