so what age did everyone start playing?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Grannymouse
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Grannymouse »

Well......I have a friend on this board that is waiting with baited breath for my response to this one. All I can tell you ....older than dirt....got you all beat. I started playing 2 yrs ago....was able to read music and now can play by ear.....a great combination. I'm also playing bodhran and taking violin lessons and a Fender travel guitar just waiting in the wings. It has opened up a whole new world for me. So, for you youngsters out there......one is never too old to learn if you have the desire. :smile: Gm
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

On 2002-03-30 13:38, Grannymouse wrote:
Well......I have a friend on this board that is waiting with baited breath for my response to this one. All I can tell you ....older than dirt....got you all beat. I started playing 2 yrs ago....was able to read music and now can play by ear.....a great combination. I'm also playing bodhran and taking violin lessons and a Fender travel guitar just waiting in the wings. It has opened up a whole new world for me. So, for you youngsters out there......one is never too old to learn if you have the desire. :smile: Gm
Grannymouse you are truly an inspiration to me. One of my passions is violin. I have always wanted to learn it. But, alas, I thought I would be too old to take on such a difficult instrument.

I have been playing guitar for quite sometime now. Mostly percussion style though.
I am starting to learn fingerstyle. And that is tough enough... To learn a violin?! Yikes!

I have been seriously playing whistle for about a year. I am 41
I have some formal music training as well. It comes in handy. Yet, I would love to master learning by ear. It is challenging enough memorizing songs. But, I am getting there.

Laura
Grannymouse

Post by Grannymouse »

Laura wrote:

Grannymouse you are truly an inspiration to me. One of my passions is violin. I have always wanted to learn it. But, alas, I thought I would be too old to take on such a difficult instrument.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for those kind words, Laura. My violin teacher just smiles thru gritted teeth but I am getting there. I never thought my stubby fingers could find the right string or that my wrist and hand could curl but it is quite amazing. If you want to learn something badly enough (badly enough?)you can do it. Just don't ask me to clean house! Life's too short!!! Gm
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Desiderata
Caru

Post by Caru »

I got my first whistle, an Oak, when I was eleven. My mom and I went into a music store to find a violin to rent for school (isn't it awful that schools don't start music lessons until fifth grade -- at least around here?) and came out with the violin, the whistle, and a copy of The Pennywhistle Primer (now retitled Play Pennywhistle Now). I had a lot more luck with the whistle than the violin, but didn't really get at all serious until about two years ago when my mom took up dulcimer and didn't want to always play alone. I've progressed further in the last year or two than in the ten years before that combined. Having a sympathetic playing partner at about your own level is surprisingly helpful.
linz

Post by linz »

well i guess 19 seems quite young to be starting now :smile:

but ill have to find somewhere else to practice or get better quick, because as i was whining out a painful rendition of london bridge, one of the new neighbours (whom i havent met yet) started playing his trumpet through the wall,playing a litte tune which sounded like an ivitation to a duet. embarrassed by my beginner skills, i stopped imediatly!
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Linz

That happened to me a few years back when I was a dulcimer player playing WITH rather than playing the whistle.

It was the Christmas reception at this old historic site (1825 inn) where I was a board member. Every year, as kind of a thank you to the community and our volunteers, we put on a day-long reception. Several members who were professional musicians and storytellers would usually show up and play through the day, then stick around to tell lies and just generally unlax before heading back into the holiday whirl.

Anyway, it was fairly late in the evening, the civilians had all left and a few of us were just sitting around the common room, lights mostly off and our illumination coming from candows in the window sills. We were talking some, but mostly just enjoying the fire and friendship.

With nothing else to do, I pulled out my garage-sale whistle (an Oak, though I had no idea what that meant at the time) and started to play the universal Greensleeves/What Child is This. I figured I was in trouble, not because I was playing badly but just because all the real musicians were listening, but what the heck.

Then it got real bad. Mike Anderson reached for a mandolin and Dan Keding for a dulcimer and others for various other instruments and started joining in. At that point, I totally lost what I was doing and the whistle that started it all faded into silence.

To this day, even when I know the piece I'm far too self-conscious to try to play with someone else.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chuck_Clark on 2002-03-30 17:36 ]</font>
BrianW

Post by BrianW »

I started playing at age 31. I bought a Clark whistle not really knowing much about Irish Traditional music. I thought that the whistle would make a great carry around instrument and planned to take it backpacking. I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

I've been toying around with whistles for nearly five years now. Sometimes serious, and sometimes not. I sure do enjoy the whistles and the music!
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

I started 4 years ago at 36. I've been playing other instruments from 10, playing professionally from age 15. Actually, I did play recorder (hangs his head) in elementary school. I got out of the professional scene, though, as is it not healthy for married people. Too many of my friends ended up divorced.
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
WhistlerWannaBe

Post by WhistlerWannaBe »

I started about 6 months ago at age 31. I have been playing flute and reading music since I was 12 though, the transition was fairly easy.

Grannymouse, you can't be too old to like the style music you do!!

Chuck, did I read on another thread that you have a kennel? Do you have puppies? I am ready to get a dog but hubby is still holding back!

Deb
I'll become even more undignified than this!
(King David, II Samuel 6)
Grannymouse

Post by Grannymouse »

"Grannymouse, you can't be too old to like the style music you do!! "

` ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Age is a state of mind! Never too old! In fact......this might be a good time to tell you all.....I'm hoping to take a pub tour of Ireland in July........music every night! :smile:
Desiderata
Grannymouse

Post by Grannymouse »

And Linz......i still have that little book around here somewhere but never did use it. I started right out listening to Joannie Madden tapes and trying to follow along. Then joined a jam and started following along,then joined the Praise Team, where I had to read music and follow along when there was no music. Take every opportunity you can! Gm
Desiderata
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Fifty-five now, but started thirteen years ago on the whistle and bodhran.

Have always been able to lip whistle any highland tune I heard, I was partially raise in and around a highland regiment, then joining myself were I started to the GHB.; but I found the snare and side drums more interesting, although I kept working on the chanter.

Life changes and circumstances change, it would be quite a few years before I came back to music. After graduating I worked in Ottawa for three years and found a pub named Rasputin's and they were having a session that night, and still do, if you are ever in Ottawa drop in. The making of music bug stuck me deep, and a few weeks later I was taking tin whistle lessons at the Ottawa Folklore Centre.

Then I moved to Windsor and a librarian at work told me of the Irish club here in Windsor that teaches Irish music. It has been great since then.

My principal instrument is the Bodhran, I own seven from 25" to 14," then the whistle and am now working on the flute. I teach the bodhran and the whistle here in Windsor.

And it is unfortunate that with all be bad jokes about bodhran players, that I suspect that you guys never ever played with a good one, truely sad. Someday I will write my observations of whistles players I have watched over the years at sessions.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
floyd hayes

Post by floyd hayes »

I am 62 years young and I started playing the pennywhistle about 3 months ago. Being retired and bored and my love of music I discovered a simple flute by mark shepherd on the internet and how to make it. After making and playing them I discovered this website and bought five different cheap whistles. I have emphasema and sometimes I can't sleep at night. Sometimes I get up at 3 a.m. and play my whistle. I live on 40 acres, no neighbors for 2 miles so I can make all the noise I want. I played in the band in school (baritone horn) and my band teacher was first chair clarinet player for John Phillip Sousa's band. For you young players, Sousa wrote Stars and Stripes. p.s. I hope I never get too old or too sick to play
IrishBen

Post by IrishBen »

I started playing Flute years ago in College(I'm now 51) Mostly Classical Music. I had a Metal keyed Flute and didn't really know about Irish Music.
I stopped playing the flute altogether for years and then in 1996 took up the Fife, Penny whistle as well as keyless Wooden Flute. I play several hours a day and feel I'm getting better all the time. Being older hasn't meant slowing down on the improvement curve!
BrassBlower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

I started playing the whistle about 4 months ago. I am 42 and have played the guitar for about 10 years now. I may never be as good as Seamus Egan or Ian Anderson, but I'm trying!

Take care,
BB

"Life's a Long Song" - Jethro Tull