Going straight to heaven...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I am enjoying reading this thread a great deal. When you return to Galway, please continue to relate your experiences to the rest of us envious folk. Glad you're all having a mighty time. :)
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

For those staying in Galway - the Sleepzone hostel there sometimes has free broadband access for residents. I've actually stayed in three different hostels there last year, and below are some reviews I wrote about them for a travel website.

Accommodation Name:
Sleepzone Tourist Hostel

Type:
Hostel

Description:
The hostel was fairly new and very clean. It was across town from the pedestrian shopping district but not terribly far on foot. There was a food shop nearby.

My room had about ten bunks in it, single-sex. There was an en-suite bathroom with two stalls and two showers.

Unique Qualities:
There's an internet cafe in the ground floor! The access hours were something like 10 AM to 9 PM but residents are allowed to access it for a few hours before and after the official operating hours. The day I was there happened to be Sunday and they offered me free internet all day. I don't know if this was standard or not, but I took the opportunity to get a lot of online business done that day! Definitely worth staying on a Sunday for the access alone!

Prices:
less than US$20

Address:
Bóthar na mBan, Wood Quay, Galway, Ireland

Directions:
More or less due north of Eyre Square, but none of the roads are straight for very long in that area.

Phone:
+353 91 566999

www.sleepzone.ie

Other Contact:
info@sleepzone.ie

Accommodation Name:
Galway Hostel

Type:
Hostel

Description:
This hostel is very easy to get to, as it's just across the street from the combination bus depot and train station. They don't take reservations - just walk in and see if there are any openings. I've stayed there twice in the summer of 2003. Once I was in a room of 14 bunks for about 12 euro, and once in an en-suite room of four bunks for 20 euro. I actually greatly preferred the larger room, as there was more conversation and camraderie among the occupants.

Access to the hostel is by buzzer and the front desk is staffed 24/7.

The hostel has cooking facilities, but the combination kitchen/dining room is also the only place in the hostel where smoking is permitted. So if you're a non-smoker like me you may find it a little unpleasant to be in clouds of smoke while cooking and eating. But such is the price we pay when travelling on the cheap.

There's also internet access in the dining room at pay terminals, but they didn't work (you can ask for your money back at the front desk) and there are cheaper places in town anyway.

Prices:
less than US$20

Address:
Eyre Square, Galway

Directions:
Across the street from the train and bus station, overlooking the main town square.

Phone:
+353 91 566959

Other Contact:
fax +353 91 562289

Accommodation Name:
Kinlay House Hostel

Type:
Hostel

Description:
There wasn't anything hugely spectacular about this hostel, but it was clean and available. The rooms were co-ed, and it was the first time that no one else in the room spoke a language I knew - an interesting if somewhat isolating experience. The kitchen was large but skinny, so it was a little hard to get around in it when a lot of people were trying to use it. But they set up a breakfast buffet line, which was really cool, and it didn't take long at all to get fed and out in the morning.

Unique Qualities:
I had to move out of the previous night's hostel many hours before I could enter my room in this one - a common occurance. But Kinlay house has a locked safe room where you can leave your things until check-in time rolls around.

Prices:
less than US$20

Address:
Merchant's Road, Eyre Square, Galway, County Galwa

Directions:
From the bus station, turn left toward Eyre Square. Turn left again and walk past a huge hotel. When you get to the end of the walkway, cross the road, and then turn left. Kinlay House is just around the corner to the right.

Phone:
+353 91 565 244

www.kinlayhouse.ie

Other Contact:
kinlay.galway@usit.ie
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Well, I didnt get my lesson with Mary McNamara, that's just too bad but I really can't complain so far. Mary has the flu so I didnt want to try to push her into a lesson, and also I think it was about time I start saving money :-)

Last night and the week before I spent a great evening in Bridget's Well (not far from Ennystimon or Doolin) at Murphy's pub. Musically speaking it's not a great session, but there's some old timers that have been going there for the past 20 years, and a man named John is one of them, he must be like 93 years old now, and has been around people like Micho Russel and Joe Cooley, the folks told me stories of sessions they used to have with Joe Cooley and other "legends", it was very interesting to listen to. I could feel the passion they had when they spoke of the music and the tunes, and the other musicians they've been around, it's a huge part of them now, and they won't be around forever, I feel lucky to have had the chance to sit beside some of them and listen.

For my last night, tonight, I'll probably end up the evening with dinner with David Levigne, a flute player from New Hampshire who's now 90% located in Ireland, and we'll head out for a local session around Clare, should be fun. It will be my last bit of Clare style session/music before I head back home.

So I lost track of Moxy, sent her emails and private messages, but nothing yet, I guess we'll have to chat in the plane on our way back :-) She wants to spend her last night in Ennis but I want to avoid Ennis!
moxy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by moxy »

Yep, I'm still alive!! Just out of touch for a little while there. Oh well, Az, we've missed each other completely for the past week and a half! Thank Go... I mean, too bad... :wink:

Sleepzone in Galway rocks. Right now, Ava, the internet is free 24 hours a day for guests!! And it's ONLY for guests... Maybe it's a low-season thing? I was quite happy to have it for free so easily.

I'm staying in Ennis tonight - I actually like the Abbey Tourist Hostel here. I find it quite homey. That scary tall guy with the shaved head and the loud bottle-banging qualities is still here, can you believe it? He's said hello to me a few times, but I've managed to avoid having to spend more than 5 seconds in his presence... :)

Az, you're priviledged to have had a time like you did, chatting with the old-timers. I envy you that, for sure. Otherwise, I'm glad to be back in Ennis - I had a nice session at Brogan's last night with Quentin and Eoin, and will likely meet up with them again tonight, also at Brogan's. I guess I'll see you on the plane tomorrow!!

Chris, you awesome and mighty flute-player you, you remind me of Harry Bradley and Desi Wilkinson!! Oh yeah, folks, he looks like a crazy Harry Bradley... OK, maybe not, but he sure sounds like him! And that's a really great thing. Keep it up and try not to scare the Uganda natives!!

Anyway, less than 24 hours before heading back home. I've learned a lot, and will continue to learn a lot after getting home... Travelling alone can certainly force you to face certain things that you wouldn't normally have to deal with, and although it's been difficult moving from town to town every second day (waiting around for the buses...), I'm glad I've seen so many places this time. Next time, I'm going to settle to one or two places only and it will be heaven, once again... :)

See you all soon, from the comfort and familiarity of my own home computer, in the company of my roommate and our three cats...
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

:party: This thread has devolved into a three way mutual appreciation network. That's not a bad thing, mind you, it's just cracking me up more and more each time I read it.

I sent Moxy a note updating her what I'm up, but I'll post a bit here anyways. I'm still in Galway, staying at Sleepzone and enjoying the free wi-fi from my laptop. This place also has the nicest, prettiest girls working at the main desk. I think we're going to go out tonight and party it up a bit, though last night was a bit wild and I'm not sure how much steam I have left.

last night I went down to the session upstairs at the Crane and had a great time. I knew most of the tunes and I was able to match my playing style to the session pretty well. The session was led by a great boxplayer, Cahill somethingorother, and Breda Keville, Claire Keville's sister (of Azalin fame). They played beautifully in a nice, stately style, were very friendly and had kind words to say about my playing, which always makes me feel good. I was quite pleased that Breda invited me to play with her during her gig on Saturday. I just hope she's not too disappointed when she finds she's already heard my entire repetoire.

I think I'm going to go down to the Crane again for the 7 PM session and then see where it goes from there. Usually the music is my first love, but the girls in this hostel are just too cute to pass up their invitation for a night on the town. Maybe there will be a beautiful girl playing concertina at the session tonight and I'll run off with her instead.

Peace,
Chris
Last edited by ChrisLaughlin on Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Ahh, to be young and unencumbered.......Hope you're taking some pictures of the pretty girls to share with us Chris :wink:

Loren
emmline

Post by emmline »

Loren wrote:Ahh, to be young and unencumbered.....
Yep, that's what I meant.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Hey Chris,

I knew you'd get all the girls in Galway, that's why I didnt stay there for too long :-) After spending many days in the country side and in many small sessions around Clare, I just wasnt up for crazy city life in Galway, but I'm sure next time I'll be up for it. I'm glad you're having a great time there, and I heard of Claire's sister, she's supposed to be lovely. How did the gig go?
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Hi Az -
Galway has been really nice. I would have preferred to be with you out in the country-side, but this has been fun as well. I just got back from the session and it was really, really nice. It was Breda on fiddle, Cahill on box, a great guitarist, an equally great bouzouki player, Paul Moran on very tasteful harmonica and James Keane (of piping fame) and his daughter togehter on fiddles in Naughton's. It was beautiful music and a good atmosphere. Afterwards Breda, Cahill and I met up with Breda's boyfriend Cormac, who is an excellent piper, whistler and flute player, had a few drinks in a quiet pub and then had some nice tunes with a fiddle, flute, pipes, concertina and harp in a wonderful gaelic language and music club near the Crane. It was truly beautiful music.
Tomorrow I'm going to the afternoon session with Sean Ryan (whistle) and I'll be back to Ennis on Monday and then off to South Africa on Wednesday.
By the way, Breda said that Claire had very nice things to say about you and your playing. Good going dude! Your playing is mighty awesome - bodacious in fact.

Peace,
Chris
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

ChrisLaughlin wrote:Hi Az -
Galway has been really nice. I would have preferred to be with you out in the country-side, but this has been fun as well. I just got back from the session and it was really, really nice. It was Breda on fiddle, Cahill on box, a great guitarist, an equally great bouzouki player, Paul Moran on very tasteful harmonica and James Keane (of piping fame) and his daughter togehter on fiddles in Naughton's. It was beautiful music and a good atmosphere. Afterwards Breda, Cahill and I met up with Breda's boyfriend Cormac, who is an excellent piper, whistler and flute player, had a few drinks in a quiet pub and then had some nice tunes with a fiddle, flute, pipes, concertina and harp in a wonderful gaelic language and music club near the Crane. It was truly beautiful music.
Tomorrow I'm going to the afternoon session with Sean Ryan (whistle) and I'll be back to Ennis on Monday and then off to South Africa on Wednesday.
By the way, Breda said that Claire had very nice things to say about you and your playing. Good going dude! Your playing is mighty awesome - bodacious in fact.

Peace,
Chris
Chris,

did you get to the session on Saturday night downstairs in the Crane. It is an intermediate level session - but still very nice. If you did you probably met my brother, David, who plays the fiddle. Anyhow, I'm sure you'll really enjoy the session with Sean Ryan on Sunday - I played there with him last year - taped the whole session - it was really great. He is one of my heros. He has been playing that session since before I left Ireland in '84.

Anyhow sounds like you are having a great time - take a minute to visit Mulligan Records - my brother Mike owns that business - great selection of all types of music especially Irish trad.
Cheers Image
Gerry
Think before you Think before you Post!
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Hey Chris,

I'm very happy that you're having such a great time in Galway, those people there, especially Breda, seem like a great bunch. I guess the "after hour" sessions you've had must been very quiet and worth the stay, I'm just I would have enjoyed those.

It's amazing that Breda knew about the fact that I had lessons with Claire! I don't even understand why the subject itself would have come up at the first place. I had a very good time with Claire, I just respect her so much and can't stop listening to her CD anyhow.

While you're in Ennis, if you see Erika, the concertina player, tell her that the french canadian dude says hello :-)
moxy

Post by moxy »

Chris, you were oh so right about the Mick O'Brien and Caoimhin O Raghallaigh CD!! It is so bodacious...
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Absolutely bodacious indeed! I've literally had it on my headphones non-stop since I bought it. I even bought a Burke in B so I could play along with it :)
I also bought one of the narrow bore aluminum black-tipped Burkes in D.
moxy

Post by moxy »

Very mighty. Tell us how the session goes this afternoon (or evening... wait, what time is it really??)

Where'd you get the Burkes?