inexpensive and loud

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ten or more
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

inexpensive and loud

Post by ten or more »

Making progress learning the D whistle, so much so that I've started going to local "learner" sessions. It's a great experience except that there's someones fiddle class there (four or five students) who sit in the circle and play as loud as they can (or so it seems). It's so loud that I often can't hear myself play (and I'm as far away as possible). I've dropped hints to the appropiate person so far without any results. So....I was wondering if there was a decent inexpensive whistle (under $20, perhaps a bit more) that was significantly louder than the generation I now play?

Thanks for any suggestons.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I would recommend a Syn D. Other possibilities would be Feadog or Susato. Feadog in particular I find quite loud for an inexpensive whistle; it's about as loud as a Susato.

--Jmaes
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

A Susato will crank out the volume for you and will also hold up better than a Syn or a Feadog in the event that you have to crack a fiddle player across the forehead for playing obnoxiously loud.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
glauber

Post by glauber »

Or try one of these:

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Susato is not only loud, it is basically a good whistle with excellent intonation. The response/playability is more like a high-ender than a generation-type whistle. If you play much above second octave A in a small room, you should use ear plugs. (Just stuff a small cosmetic cotton ball in each ear.)
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Another vote for the Susato. I second the suggestion on the earplugs, or at least some tissue or cotton in the ears. If it is so loud that you can't hear yourself, odds are that it is loud enough to cause permanent damage with prolonged exposure.

One tip not mentioned is wearing a hat with a wide brim to help the sound come back to you. This might work out better than getting a louder whistle, because a beginner on a Susato in the upper octave can be irritating. You might think the fiddle players are playing their loudest, but they might not be. A loud-loud blaring whistle could set off an escalation where everyone will suffer.
+ Bill
rh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

peeplj wrote:Feadog in particular I find quite loud for an inexpensive whistle; it's about as loud as a Susato.
really? i've had a susato for years and i never played it much because i couldn't tolerate the volume in the upper octave, but i just got a feadóg and i can tolerate it pretty well. i quite like it actually. it's not a quiet whistle by any means, but i didn't think it was as loud as a susato. don't have a db meter of anything so i can't check, just talking subjective impressions here.
there is no end to the walking
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Feadóg is probably the loudest of my Generation-type whistles, and louder than Sweetone, but it's not as loud as my Susato.
At night, in those corners of our minds we deny by day, magical things can happen in the moon shadows. And if they can't, a) they should, and b) we should always in any event act as if they can. --Roger Ebert
Scott McCallister
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

My susato was so freaking loud :boggle: that I did the guitar pick blade replacement tweak. :thumbsup: Surprising how much sweeter the sound and volume are now. Also did it to my Susato Low D (it was loud and pretty squeeky) now it behaves better as well. The medium bore Bb and A Susatos that I have are very full sounding but not overly loud and I really like their sound right out of the box. (especially the Bb... they really found a sweet spot on that model).

Another suggestion would be to complain directly to the offending fiddlers and threaten to cut the horse hair from their bows if they can't seem to muster some self control. Then poke one of them in the eye with your whistle to be sure they know you are not just making threats. :o

... or not.
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Paul

Post by Paul »

I can vouch for the Susato. It's really loud. There was a thread recently about a lot of professional players in Ireland are playing them lately. Hopefully, you can get the time or day of the class changed so y'all don't have to compete with the fiddlers. Especially since it's a beginners class.

Best,
Paul