What is a good whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

BINGO! And all that is aimed at getting the music that is in you out into the air. Of course sometimes the voice of an instrument seduces you and you're willing to ignore some playability issues. :D
Double Bingo, Joe!

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

JessieK wrote:I also think factory-produced whistles can play well (but Chieftains don't have a very good track record, if you ask anyone - with experience - other than Talbert/Keith/Barb).
I'm quite happy with my Cheiftain low D whistle. The New Range lows are quite good and have been consistent at least among the couple I've had exposure to.

I think I have "experience", having been playing for 10 years now, and professionally for a while. The musicians in a local irish band here here also have made very positive comments about the whistle. And Joe Linbeck of the Flying Fish Sailors (who has been playing professionally for at least 16 years) made a point of catching up with me at TRF this year because he heard me playing the Chieftain and he thought it sounded so good he wanted to get a look at it. It should be noted that Joe and I are not "buddies" and he's never really made any special effort to chat at TRF, it was all about the whistle.

Several other pros play Chieftains, so I'm pretty sure that the comment about only Talbert/Barb/Kieth liking them really cannot be accurate.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

KDMARTINKY wrote:WOW, once again you placed your own spin on it in a way that hell, I'm confused. I have no idea what Phil using aluminum alloy and out-of -date coinage is related to my statement.
I understood Jessie's point. Whether or not I agree aside, she was saying that Phil's design for Kerry Pros are identical (or nearly so) to that of Overtons.

JesseK Referenced:
Talbert/Keith/Barb

There is no need to bring other individuals into this converstion Jesse. I am the one that made the comments.
Um, Jessie said that other than Talbert, Barb, and you, no one else is going around saying that Chieftains are great and the best whistles out there.

This may or may not be an exaggeration. There are others who like Chieftains, but I think there aren't any others who say so with quite as much fervor...

I have a Kerry Pro, but I would never say it's the best... I haven't tried anything else but a Grinter and a Howard.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Ok, Greg, I certainly respect your experience. I stand corrected.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I'm outta here.
~JessieD
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Unless I'm missing the point here, it's all about, or should be all about what whistles are best for each individual. I don't think it so pleasant when we have to hear smears against anyone, whether it be whistle makers or board members. It's certainly not constructive criticism.

I have a Chieftain gold mezzo A that I like quite well. I also have a Kerry low D that I really love. Is my opinion absolute? No. But, for the exposure I have to date with different whistles, in combination with my ability as a beginner, they are what I like. I assume that over time my tastes AND opinions will change. I also have a Hoover D/C whitecap with brass narrow bore tubes, and two Dixon pvcs and a set of teak wood Syns. They all have a different sound, and I like each one of them for different reasons. Would I love to have a set of Chieftains? You bet. But if I had that luxury, I would like many other whistles, most of which have been mentioned by name.

Jessie has a reputation for being wonderfully talented, and blessed with hands-on experience with many different whistles, BUT that shouldn't make anyone else's opinion "less" valid. I can appreciate Keith's love for Chieftains, and I do think he is way ahead of some of us who may be eternally looking for the "right" whistle. He has found his :)

I appreciate, and get a grin, when Philo talks about his teacher playing an old Generation (was it?). In reality, all any of us "needs" to whistle is a cheap $6 whistle. We all have different reasons for what whistle we buy, and how much we are willing to spend.

The last thing I need to say, is that there are many examples of ideas and designs that are copied or "stolen" as Jessie says. Let's take the pc that most of you are using. Do you think Mr. Gates came up with the idea by himself, or do you believe the books and movie that he essentially stole the idea? We could have an endless debate about this and many other similar situations. In the end, the marketplace and industry is all about making refinements to existing products and competition. Let's take art and design, it's all about taking other people's ideas and art, and working off it. There is nothing new under the sun. As Jessie stated, Chieftains are manufactured as opposed to Overton being handmade. If this is true, then they are different whistles, no? The process hasn't been copied. The design may be similar, but if it were exact the sound would be exact. Let's move on! I would prefer to come to this board to enjoy discussions about the instrument and learning tips, etc. as I am sure many of you are as well.

By the way, my above comments are not meant to offend or slander anyone, only to make a point, or should I say, express my opinion.

matt
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
dwinterfield

Re: What is a good whistle?

Post by dwinterfield »

ennistraveler wrote:What are the most well-reputated tin whistles? And what is it that makes them so good?
Looking back at the original question, it not which whistle is your favorite, but which the best reputation. (My favorite whistle is my aluminum Burke high D.) Beyond that, I've never held, let alone played most of the great whistles described here. Most of what I know of whistles comes from what I read this board. I might humbly observe that, among high whistles, Copelands and O'Riordans are usually mentioned in almost reverential terms. For the lows, Overton seems to have that special aura.

I think it's also clear that every whistle is loved by someone. And that's a good thing.
rh

Re: What is a good whistle?

Post by rh »

dwinterfield wrote:I think it's also clear that every whistle is loved by someone.
ev'rybody loves some whistle sometime...
:D happy thanksgiving!
there is no end to the walking
ennistraveler

Post by ennistraveler »

Gosh, I never thought my simple question would start a discussion that turned into a civil war. I'm glad someone brought it back on track. :)
Brother Steve rocks!
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

yeah, happens quickly here...better get used to it.. :roll:
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

amar wrote:yeah, happens quickly here...better get used to it.. :roll:
Yeah? You take that back, you Swiss party-dood! :x
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
amar

Post by amar »

GaryKelly wrote:
amar wrote:yeah, happens quickly here...better get used to it.. :roll:
Yeah? You take that back, you Swiss party-dood! :x
MAKE ME!!!!!!!!!!
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

I can't! I don't have enough wool! :x
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:o

Don't start him off on sheep.........

You know what he's like.....

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
amar

Post by amar »

dubhlinn wrote::o

Don't start him off on sheep.........

You know what he's like.....

Slan,
D.
ARE YOU INSINUATING THAT I'M A SHEEP-SHAGGER!!!!!!!!¨ :x :x