So You Want to Live in Ireland?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Wombat
antispam: No

So You Want to Live in Ireland?

Post by Wombat »

moxy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by moxy »

That's awesome!! I'm in Galway now, perhaps I should go around there and see if there's any action today...

:D
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

To answer the question, no. Visit, yes. I guess I've reached the age where I don't feel like adjusting.

Oh. Cool web link.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

:lol:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Actually, the more I look at those photos, the more it comes home to me just how grim the reality underlying slapstick humour really is. I've seen first hand accidents like this in factories in which nobody got hurt but you have to be very lucky.

When I first saw that sequence, apart from complete amazement, like one of the Irish comentators, I was expecting the big truck to follow everything else overboard. Then, of course, I thought: this isn't a cartoon. Somebody must have been in that white car. What happened to the people in the small truck? I even started looking at the spectators and wondering what happened to those who were standing close by in the early shots.

Seriously though, did someone really think that small truck was up to the job? I guess they must have.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

So The Wombats a Munster fan eh?Never fails to amaze me ,that fella.

The controls for the lifting arm are usually on the rear of the truck so at least the operator would have had a chance to move away when he realised his little mistake.I am surprised that there are no cops in sight.
The poor guy in the first lorry was probably doing what is called in Ireland "a nixer" (a cash in hand job off the books no questions asked).I can just imagine him phoning in to the office....

"I have a biteen of a problem..."

"What now would that be...?"

" Well,I've flooded the oul engine..."

"Ah jaysuz, sure thats nothin'..."

"But ye see...well...you're breakin up on me....
Hello...hello...."

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

dubhlinn wrote:So The Wombats a Munster fan eh?
All the best people are, Dubh.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

I don't know about the rest of Galway, but Kinvara seemed prepared :)

Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Teri-K wrote:I don't know about the rest of Galway, but Kinvara seemed prepared :)

:lol: That so reminds me of the silliest road sign I've ever seen; about 10 miles from my house as it happens. Wollongong is built on a long thin strip of land between an escarpment and the sea. In places the escarpment comes right down to the sea so the coastal road is half way up a vertical cliff face. Being an escarpment, the cliff face is very unstable. As you enter the worst stretch of road there's a sign saying:
CAUTION. FALLING BOULDERS NEXT 20 KILOMETRES

Now if boulders weighing a couple of tons are going to be falling on you from above unexpectedly, what's the use of driving cautiously?
TyroneShoelaces

Post by TyroneShoelaces »

Wombat wrote: That so reminds me of the silliest road sign I've ever seen...
It's not my intention to hijack this thread with a lot of silly sign stories, but this one has to take the cake for the stupidest sign:

A street in our neighborhood that had a lot of construction traffic had a cautionary sign that read, "Deaf child playing." The driver of one of the large trucks that repeatedly sped up and down the road put a huge sign in bold, black letters across the truck's side that said, "HONK"
ever been mugged by a quaker?
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

I think the silliest road signs are the ones in flood-prone areas which read "Road Unsafe when Under Water".

Well, DUH! :P
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

BrassBlower wrote:I think the silliest road signs are the ones in flood-prone areas which read "Road Unsafe when Under Water".

Despite this a surprising number of people stall and even drown on flooded roads. In Australia, it's not unusual for creeks to be dry for most of the year and then rather full for the few weeks in which it rains steadily. In remote areas, people don't build bridges everywhere they might be needed. Also, people get used to taking the car through damp puddly areas more or less regularly.

By far the most useful sign in areas like this is a pole at the deepest point giving depth marks. You can then see at a glance whether it's worth the risk trying to ford a creek at that point.
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Wombat wrote:
BrassBlower wrote:I think the silliest road signs are the ones in flood-prone areas which read "Road Unsafe when Under Water".

Despite this a surprising number of people stall and even drown on flooded roads. In Australia, it's not unusual for creeks to be dry for most of the year and then rather full for the few weeks in which it rains steadily. In remote areas, people don't build bridges everywhere they might be needed. Also, people get used to taking the car through damp puddly areas more or less regularly.

By far the most useful sign in areas like this is a pole at the deepest point giving depth marks. You can then see at a glance whether it's worth the risk trying to ford a creek at that point.
The depth gauge is actually a good idea. It's generally impossible to tell exactly how deep the water across the road is from a flooded creek -- until you get into it and can't get out. Typically, it looks no worse than a large puddle. If there is any kind of current then things can get even more tragic.

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

CAUTION. FALLING BOULDERS NEXT 20 KILOMETRES

Now if boulders weighing a couple of tons are going to be falling on you from above unexpectedly, what's the use of driving cautiously?
You can't escape your fate.

True story: I met a guy when I was in the Air Force back in the late '70's. He had been in Air Force Special Forces in Viet Nam. He'd been in 3 helicopters that were shot down (while he was in them) and participated in a commando raid on a prisoner of war camp, Son Te. About 2yrs after I met him, I heard he was killed by a falling tree while driving with his wife on a highway in a forest. He wife was not hurt.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
moxy

Post by moxy »

Teri-K wrote:I don't know about the rest of Galway, but Kinvara seemed prepared :)

I've taken a picture of this same sign somewhere recently... Let me think, where was it... Doolin maybe? no wait, where the heck was it... Can't remember! But it was kinda funny...