The Hairy Truth- true story, cross my heart

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
suejnnhe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Hairy Truth- true story, cross my heart

Post by suejnnhe »

One day, my husband who is a personel officer in the U.S. Air Force, had a large class of young officers to out-process. (completing the paperwork regarding the officers' move from one base to another.)

In the process of overseeing the effort he became aware that one of the young officers waiting his turn was a Major Bunns. Anticipating the possible effect of this name on the airman about to process the Major's paperwork, Hubby approached said airman and gave advance warning. He remained standing nearby as the Major sat down. The airman asked the Major's name. The Major answered. At this point the officer out-processing at the next station turned to Major Bunns and said, "Hey Harry!"
HeySue!
_________
Don't Panic!
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

Some parents are unbelievably cruel when naming their children. For instance, James Stephen Hogg, governor of Texas 1891-1895, named his daughter Ima. (Although, contrary to popular legend, he did not have another daughter named Ura.)

At least no one would ever name their kid Moon Unit, right? :roll:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
OBrien
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by OBrien »

Not unless she had a brother named Dweezil.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

I can remember seeing an interview with a retiring registrar who when asked what he remembered most about his career replied that he'd once spent three hours unsuccessfully trying to talk a Mr & Mrs Carte out of calling their son Orson. It would probably be classed as child cruelty these days.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I have a couple of favorites...

I knew a guy in college named Martin Filardi, but naturally, everyone called him Marty Filardi

I personally knew an old man in a nursing home named Harry Cox...

And my favorite "almost"-- my aunt tells the story from her nursing school days of an undereducated woman who had just given birth to a little girl. She had heard the doctors and nurses talking and liked the sound of a word they used so much that she wanted to name her new baby Meconium.... they talked her out of it (Google if necessary!). Oh, by the way, the family name was Brown !!!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Brewerpaul suggested Googling "Meconium"...

So I did....

Big mistake......

As if this 'flu wasn't bad enough....

Slan,
D.
:sniffle:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

On the radio a few weeks back, they were joking about a family with the last name of Peacock, that had named their newborn son Drew.

M
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Hope you get over the lurgy soon Dubhlinn old chap. Nasty stuff.

On topic... When I used to shoot for GB there was a chap from Scotland turned up for one of the national trials. His name was Wayne Kerr. When we saw the kind of scores he was making on the 25yd range, no-one laughed.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
bozemanhc

Post by bozemanhc »

I had a high school classmate named Willie P. Moore.
suejnnhe

Post by suejnnhe »

brewerpaul wrote:And my favorite "almost"-- my aunt tells the story from her nursing school days of an undereducated woman who had just given birth to a little girl. She had heard the doctors and nurses talking and liked the sound of a word they used so much that she wanted to name her new baby Meconium.... they talked her out of it (Google if necessary!). Oh, by the way, the family name was Brown !!!
Ack! Also knew of a couple that named their daughter Candida. Google that and feel sorry for the poor thing! :o

And how about Spamantha! Do you think they call her Spam for short? :(
HeySue!
_________
Don't Panic!
suejnnhe

Post by suejnnhe »

bozemanhc wrote:I had a high school classmate named Willie P. Moore.
Did anyone ever answer that question? :roll:

HeySue
HeySue!
_________
Don't Panic!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Many years ago, when I was living in Duluth Minnesota, I had a very good friend whose Grandmother mother was a notorius speed demon. One summer I took a trip with my friend down to the Twin Cities to visit the State Fair with his Grandmother, who was driving. True to form, she kept the pedal to the floor, cruising around 80-85....this was back when 55mph was the speed limit on most Interstates.

My friend and I were loving it!!! But eventually we were sighted by a Minnesota Highway Patrolman who did what he should have and gave chase. Grandma slowed down and pulled over to the side of the freeway to await the enevitable.

When the patrolman got to her window he asked if she knew why he had pulled her over, to which she replied: "...to sell me a ticket to the Highway Patrolman's Ball?" His response was sudden and curt, "Ma'am, highway patrolmen don't have balls!" After a few seconds of silence, laughter errupted from the back seat (us) while grandma simply smiled at the patrolman....who by now had realized the content of his statement.

He then smiled himself, and after a few words of caution, let Grandma off with a stern warning, but no citation. We laughed about it the rest of the weekend but were made to promise her that we wouldn't tell our folks about it. To this day, it is one of my fondest memories...and I still haven't told my parents about it. :D
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

My sister is the assitant to the registrar for international students here in Windsor and she gets students from China and some have the very nice names in Chinese but when translated or written in English it turns into a whole different thing.

One example was: Yu Fuc, being that in China the family name comes first, then the first name. Either way my sister as kindly talked to these students, with help from students on campus, explaining why they might want to pick a first name that doesn't embrass them.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Chiffgirl

Post by Chiffgirl »

My first boyfriend, a minister's son, was named Peter Lint.

I also went to school with a kid named Wiley Fleeger (not scatalogical, but still funny.)
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I worked with a man named Peter Eaton and one named Dick Pullen. Then there was a girl named Linda Lay. I worked with a girl who was about 6 foot tall. Her name was Sharon Long she hated her name and was waiting for the time when she got married so she could change her name. She then became Sharon Sells.

Parents are vicious.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.