Beginner Jigs?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PennyWhistle123

Beginner Jigs?

Post by PennyWhistle123 »

Hello,
I have been playing the tin-whistle since I was about 8. I have always played slow to medium songs (airs?) by ear, but never attempted a jig. I play other instruments, I never spent as much time on the whistle as the other instruments. Last week I picked up my old generation D high whistle and set to playing a jig. I learned one called "Lark in the strand" It sounded great! I never knew how much fun the tin whistle could be until this week. I have always been fascinated with fast foot-tapping irish music, but now I can actually PLAY it. I am hooked now! I just was curious what jigs were ideal for beginners like myself? What are some practice techniques to keep my hands fast? I am so excited, and I LOVE JIGS! This is a great board too.
BrassBlower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

I like Morrison's Jig.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Jim Ward's jig is a great little tune which is very approchable and great fun to play.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Shandon Bells
Saddle the Pony
Lilting Banshee
Walls of Liscarroll
j
/Bloomfield
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

There are lots. Many I play whose names I've forgotten or half-remember as the 'Boys from Somewhere or other' or 'The Maid who Twiddled the Whatsit.' Two well-known ones that are appealing and not too hard are:

Out on the Ocean
Banish Misfortune
toughknot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by toughknot »

Wombat wrote: 'The Maid who Twiddled the Whatsit.'

:lol:
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

My first four jigs:
  • Morrisons Jig
  • Lilting Banshee
  • Monaghan's Jig.
  • Road to Lisdoonvarna
If I can play them, they have to be easy.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Donnybrook Fair.
Old Joe's.
Tobin's Jig.

With regards to playing fast, there's only one trick I know - be able to play slowly first!

Once you know the tune well, and have it in your fingers, then you can speed it up as much as you want. If you mess up, you didn't know the tune well enough, and should take it a bit slower.
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

I mentioned the Kesh Jig once, but I think I got away with it.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

My Darling Asleep and Blackthornstick were my first two jigs, which make a nice little set.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Feadan

Re: Beginner Jigs?

Post by Feadan »

PennyWhistle123 wrote:Hello,
I have been playing the tin-whistle since I was about 8.
Idle curiosity. And how long ago was that? :)
PennyWhistle123

Post by PennyWhistle123 »

I'm 21. Thanks for all the responses, I've got my work cut out for me.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Kesh, Morrisons, Lilting Banshee, Banish Misfortune, Lonesome Jig, Calliope House (this not an ancient one, but great and a bit unique).

Regarding Kesh, I recall someone mentioning a while back that this is a good one to start with because it's "easy." That made me laugh. Yes, it has a easily recognizable form and lilt to the ear, but it's replete with difficult (IMHO) various rolls. Once the rolls are properly executed and fit into the proper timing, there is the sophisticated stuff like where to put the tonguing in the rolls and taps afterward, etc.
I guess there are some of us out there for whom this stuff is second nature, but I've been toiling (wrong word, it's been fun) with Kesh for about a month until I now think it's where I want it. And that's at between 90 and 100 bps, certainly still far from (most) session speed.

Ya gotsta love it!

Regards,

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

PhilO wrote:
Regarding Kesh, I recall someone mentioning a while back that this is a good one to start with because it's "easy." That made me laugh.
Try playing it as a beginner on concertina. :lol: I did and it was easily the hardest I played for a while. Pehaps I could have found an easier setting or fingering but I learnt a lot getting it down.
jen f

Post by jen f »

"Smash the Windows" and "Off She Goes" are two great little jigs that are easy to play and go together nicely. (In our sessions, we refer to these as the "vandalism set"!)