New member needs advice on a 2nd (and 3rd?) whistle purchase

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
fpoulenc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

New member needs advice on a 2nd (and 3rd?) whistle purchase

Post by fpoulenc »

I have spent so much time on this site lately that my wife and many of my friends (who don't play) know about the chiff and fipple site (and flee the room when I bring it up). I am relatively new whistle player, but being a vocalist, pianist, and occasional recorder player I think I am progressing reasonably well with my Clarke high D. I feel like playing the whistle for me is a sickness, and I was overjoyed to meet so many others so afflicted!
After hearing some recordings, I realized that there were whistles with brighter, less-breathy tones than the Clarke and wanted to try them. I was considering buying an O'Briain Improved Feadog D, and then also perhaps an aluminum D like a Burke or Overton. Can one have too many high D whistles? I think I will eventually want a low D, and so wonder if it makes more sense save my money for a really great low D and not buy an aluminum high D. I don't play in sessions at this point, but feel like I should own a tuneable whistle so that I can play with other instruments. If you have read this far, you are a truly kind person; I would appreciate any guidance you might give me.

Thanks!
Andy
alespa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Welcome Andy!

I think you've come to the right place for advice. There is such a wonderful range of whistles to choose from that it might help people give you advice if you let us know what your price range is. Also, it would help to know if you are looking for a quite, medium or loud whistle . . .

matt
fpoulenc

Post by fpoulenc »

Thanks Matt!
I admit I have strong tendencies toward WHOA disorder, so I have not strictly set a price range. I have inquired with Abell and Pat O'Riordan, but if I can get a really fine handmade whistle for around $200 or less that would be great.
The power of my Clarke seems to be fine for me (which I am supposing to be a soft to medium whistle). I am more interested in a beautiful tone, but one that still sounds like a whistle, and not a recorder. Does that help?
alespa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Check this out:

http://www.gaeliccrossings.com/forums/v ... php?t=1153

Make sure you read the fine print.
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

I bought a O'Briain improved Feadog after hearing great things about it but I'm not all that crazy about it. It's not the sound I have a problem with but the spacing on the barrel which of course has nothing to do with the improved part. The holes are a little awkward to deal with, though I haven't heard anyone else say this so it may just be me. As far as the sound it's ok but I wouldn't rave about it as some have done. -- I don't have any high end whistles but my favorite whistle right now is the Dixon alluminum. It's tunable and about $50. --I have heard alot of good things about the Greenwood whistles. Maybe do a search here on the board for some recent postings about these. They are wood and about $200. -mike
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

Peter Laban endorsed Gary Humphrey's high D with just intonation. I bought one from Gary for about $85.00 plus shipping. It's the best whistle I've owned, including a Sindt. You can listen to Peter on the Clips and Snips under Reels (Peggy on the Settle) and you can find Humphrey's contact info on the C&F whistle pages. I'd listen to all kinds of clips and hear what you like.
Good Luck.
bozemanhc

Post by bozemanhc »

I too recommend the Humphrey. I own a Sindt as well, but I like the Humphrey high D narrow bore better and am playing it as my first choice. You can get two with your budget.
Howard
Joe_Atlanta

Post by Joe_Atlanta »

Hey Andy,
I'm relatively new to this as well, and have given in to WhOA, so maybe I can give a tip or two. Since the Clarke is really an example of one extreme of both tone and breath control, you might sample another inexpensive (under $20) whistle with different qualities before making an investment in a premium priced whistle. Perhaps a Jerry Freeman tweaked Feadog or Sweetone or a Dixon non-tunable in pvc. I took this path and have enjoyed playing and tweaking all my inexpensive whistles and they have helped me figure out what I want in a more premium instrument.

OTOH, there's a wealth of info available on this board if you just read back through the archives. Lots of whistle reviews, comparisons and recommendations. With enough reading (and listening to sound samples at Clips and Snips and the maker's and dealer's websites), you can make a good guess about which is best for you and invest in an expensive whistle, then just settle down and practice..

As you read through the archives you'll also discover a number of lesser know whistlesmiths who might well be able to build you what you want for considerably less than the "name" brands. One I recommend for every obsessed player with a family is Mack Hoover. Having one of his quiet whistles has allowed me to radically expand my practice time without annoying my wife (make sure you ask him for a whistle with strong low notes, some of his instruments are a little shy at the bottom in exchange for extra sweet top).

Finally, once you start to get an idea of what you want, watch the for sale ads both here and over at Gaelic Crossings. You can often pick up last years model for 1/2 price.

good luck,
Joe
fpoulenc

Post by fpoulenc »

Thanks to everyone for the great input so far. I am intrigued by the Humprhey and the Greenwood, and will investigate those. Joe, I will definitely check out Mack Hoover, because many of the places I practice are quiet.
Realizing I have 4 days off coming up for the Thanksgiving holiday, my WHOA disorder took over, and I picked two whistles that will arrive tomorrow
  • Cillian O'Briain improved Feadog (high D)
    Last year's Burke Aluminum Pro (also high D)
Now I just have to remember to make occasional appearances at the Thanksgiving festivities throughout the weekend. :)
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

The main page of this site has alot of info on high and low end whistles with reviews and contact info, all painstakingly put together by our founder Dale. I would recommend viewing the wealth of knowlege and info there. Just scroll down and surf the many links. Make sure your chair is comfortable though as you may be there for hours :D
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
fpoulenc

Post by fpoulenc »

toughknot wrote:The main page of this site has alot of info on high and low end whistles with reviews and contact info, all painstakingly put together by our founder Dale. I would recommend viewing the wealth of knowlege and info there. Just scroll down and surf the many links. Make sure your chair is comfortable though as you may be there for hours :D
It was DAYS, actually. I got the sense that there are many good instruments out there, and that made it significantly harder to narrow down. The O'Briain Feadog and the Burke DAS are sitting on my desk right now, and I am hoping to play during lunch. I picked up the Feadog and the first Cnat I played was bigger, brighter, and more in tune than one I could produce with a half hour of trying on the Clarke! I can't wait to try the Burke... :boggle: