Stolen from Flute Forum - very cool optical illusion

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Stolen from Flute Forum - very cool optical illusion

Post by avanutria »

Beowulf posted this over there, and I just watched the video - very cool!

http://www.grand-illusions.com/dragon.htm

Make your own creep-out-the-coworkers dragon...
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Yep. That's cool. I printed one out but it looks like I'll have to wait until I get home to color print it on some card stock.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I wish I was folded up like that.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Li'l dragon must be creeping out the day shift, as the one I made and set atop a cabinet was turned about-face when I got to work today. Showed it to my nephew last week, and he said, "Get it away from me! Just get it away from me!" :lol:
Paul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Paul »

That's cool! I made one too. It's on top of my cubicle divider. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Paul on Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

Hey! The video was cool indeed, but when I made one it worked nothing like that. Just an oddly folded paper dragon. I must be missing something. (Hate to say it, but maybe one has to be smarter than the paper? More probably, this is not something one should attempt when half asleep. *yawn, blink blink*) Does printing out a color version or one on colored paper make much difference? Just have black on white here. Mmmmmm.... anyone else having problems?

:-? Sara
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

You're not alone Sara. And colour doesn't seem to make any difference to me... I have a blue one and a greyscale one... and they just sit there. Sigh.

I was hoping the Manchester Real Ale would've killed just enough braincells for these things to work today, but nope...
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I made one and it works fine. The thing is they don't actually "work" at all. You have to view the little critter from an angle where you see it's face. Then close one eye and let the illusion take over. Suddenly you'll see, instead of an inside out folded head, a head that appears to be looking at you.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Of course it also helps if you fold it the right way... :evil:
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

It helps if the dragon is brightly backlit...in the video, the dragon is directly in front of a bright window to backlight it. The light bleeding through the paper helps eliminate overhang shadows on the dragon's face, which spoil the illusion. It also helps if you close one eye, removing a certain amount of stereo-vision and depth perception.

Hopping on one foot hasn't been shown to improve things much ;)
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

VERY cool and weird. It took me a couple of minutes to catch the illusion, but once I did it was very vivid.
I noticed that if you look at the dragon from further away (8-10 feet?), you don't have to close one eye- at that distance your binocular vision is reduced enough that both eyes see basically the same thing.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Depth perception (or the lack of it) is the key to the illusion working.

It's a little like those 3-D wallpaper like things you have to let your eyes relax before you can see the picture. In the case of the dragon, if your depth perception gets uncoupled from your perception of the dragon's head, you can get it to start looking convex instead of concave. As soon as you start seeing it that way, it turns its head and follows you with its eyes wherever you go. Closing one eye is the easiest way to facilitate this.

I made one and showed it to Arleen. I held it behind my back and said, "I have something to show you. Cover one eye." Then I showed it to her and she saw it right away. She said, "That's really cool."

Best wishes,
Jerry
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Very cool! :)
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

IT'S ALIVE!!!! EWAHA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!

Um, I mean... Hey it actually works! Awesome!

Holding it up so it was backlit by the window was what did the trick. Thanks for the idea!

:) Sara
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

It doesn't work for me at all unless I close one eye. I'm figuring that my depth perception is pretty acute.