Who are you?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Who are you? What identifies you?

Profession
8%
Leisure activities
12%
Regional geography
No votes
Race/tribe
5%
Nation
2%
Religion or primary belief system
29%
A living being
17%
A spiritual being
15%
You doubt your own existence
12%

Total votes: 59

amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

that was very well put. my feelings exactly. :)
Will O'B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Lorenzo wrote:Is better for an innocent person to be convicted of a crime, or for a guilty person to be set free?
I believe Joseph Stalin's idea of justice was that "it is better to execute 99 innocent people and one guilty person, than it is to let one guilty person go free." The nuns back in Catholic school used to be advocates of Stalin's system, albeit with less dire consequences. If the perpetrator of the classroom crime did not readily confess then the entire class suffered the penalty.

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

While I sometimes identify myself as a jewelry designer (in conversation with new people), my primary role on this earth is a wife to my wonderful husband. My secondary role (it's secondary because my husband and I are a team...if tragedy intervened, it would become primary), I am a mother.

I didn't vote, because family connection was not on the poll.

I also haven't read the first 4 pages.
~JessieD
emmline

Post by emmline »

I was just reading Jessie's response above and it made me think...because I might have given a similar answer at one time. (p.s. Jessie, the rest of this post is not meant to condescendingly suggest that your life path will bear any resemblance to mine--one of the most annoying things my 22 month older sister ever said was "well, I used to think that when I was your age, but now...whatever.")

Things change. Kids grow up. The balances in relationships shift. I find that I'm finding that maybe raising my kids has been a phase (a very wonderful important phase, at that,) but it seems that maybe that isn't the best definition for my life. We'll see.

There have also been times when I might have chosen the religious designation. This is no longer a good fit.

For me, and perhaps for others, picking one of those things is like trying to pin down both the location and trajectory of an electron. Can't be done.

I guess, ultimately, I'd go with the "here I am" answer, or what Buddhism might call "suchness."
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

emmline wrote:For me, and perhaps for others, picking one of those things is like trying to pin down both the location and trajectory of an electron. Can't be done.
I think I heard a scientist interviewed on NPR's "Science Friday" who was reporting that it might be possible after all.

I've mentioned this before, but I still chuckle thinking of the poster on the physics prof's office door: "Heisenburg may have slept here."

Best wishes,
Jerry
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

From the 60s TV show "The Prisoner"
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Charlene wrote:"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Maybe so,but can you tweak whistles....?

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Yes, things change! Ten years ago, I was a college student. Five years ago, I was a miserable chick in an unsuccessful marriage. Two years ago I was a jewelry designer who lived with her parents. Dan's wife, my current identity, is, by far, the best person I have ever been. Yes, raising children is a phase and someday I will be an old woman who loved and was loved well. And maybe I'll have another title or two or three, too. That's yet to be determined.
~JessieD
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

talasiga wrote:
CHIFF FIPPLE wrote:I am a child of the universe. 8)
No less than the trees and the Stars. :wink:
I have a right to be here. :x
And whether or not its clear to you. :-?
I don't give a :P
You have a hide to write bad verse
I have seen your type in beats and bars
In one hand a glass of beer
And in the other some other brew.
Frankly I don't give a poo :P
A'h you misundertake me fer someone that gives a
I remember your the bloke I fell over on the way in
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
DarnTootin

Post by DarnTootin »

I am Sam.

Sam I am.
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

DarnTootin wrote:I am Sam.

Sam I am.
Sorry, but you look more like Bob Dylan to me.

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

I am Lee Marsh.

I tend to be what my friends called in High School a GDI. (Gaul Dern Individualist). Although I have and will belong to many groups throughout my life, I have never found my identity defined by a group. It seems my membership is governed by how compatible my identity is with the group. The roles I take: father, musician, computer technician, husband, friend, neighbor, citizen, christain, teacher. All are a means of expressing who and what I am. None of these are not beginning or end of what I am, they are the vehicle to express who I am. If I where a picture, these roles and groups would be the colors I paint with. Lose any color and the picture is still there, perhaps not as fully developed, but it is still there. If I were a song, the roles and groups would be the instruments that the song is played on.

When I wax philosophic, I think of my self as a Wise Old Man in the making ... making all the mistakes that earn you wisdom in the end.
Judging from the number of mistakes I've made I should become a very very very very wise man, if I survive the mistakes.

Finally, here at C&F, I'm the guy that always reminds folks to ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

emmline wrote: Things change. Kids grow up. The balances in relationships shift. I find that I'm finding that maybe raising my kids has been a phase (a very wonderful important phase, at that,) but it seems that maybe that isn't the best definition for my life. We'll see.

Emm, I totally get what you're saying... now that my kids are getting older (9 and 10-1/2), and needing me a lot less (you know what I mean, I'm sure), I find that my perception of myself as Mother is really shifting. I will always be a mother, and it will always be an important part of my life, but it isn't the identifying factor of my life anymore-- not like it was when they were tiny and needing so much of me. I find myself in this space of trying to figure out my new identity, in many ways. Especially because I had my children fairly young (when I was 22 and 24 respectively), and hadn't really discovered a lot about myself then. :P Plus, I have a whole different take on things now because my spiritual and life experiences have given me new perspectives on life in general. I feel like I am a brand-new person, trying to make my way in the world. Scary, trippy, and exhilarating all at the same time. :)

Best...
~ad
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

LeeMarsh wrote:I am Lee Marsh.

Finally, here at C&F, I'm the guy that always reminds folks to ...Enjoy Your Music

And we love you for it, Lee!! :)
emmline

Post by emmline »

aderyn_du wrote: I feel like I am a brand-new person, trying to make my way in the world.
With a few encumbrances and limitations. :)