MK Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

MK Whistles

Post by jb »

I'm thinking of buying a new whistle, has anybody here played MK low D whistles? They look really good but I'd like to know what others think of them first.
Seanduine

Post by Seanduine »

They are fine whistles. I find them very similar to the Overtons I have played with good back pressure and volume. It feels like an Overton from a player's perspective and from the comments I've received it sounds like an Overton as well. They are very well made and I don't think you would be disappointed with the quality of the instrument. In saying all that they are pricey. I hope that's helpful.
jb

MK whistles

Post by jb »

Thanks Seanduine, how do you find chieftain compares to overton in terms of backpressure etc.
I suspect from the lack of comments on MK whistles on this site they are not very popular?
Seanduine

Post by Seanduine »

Hi jb,
I can't comment on Chieftain whistles because I don't play them. If you live anywhere near Glasgow I recommend a visit to the Folk Revolution shop at St. George's Cross. Kenny is happy to let potential customers try the whistles and you will find MK, Overton, Chieftain and Alba whistles there.
Blayne Chastain
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

I have a low D (green) that's lovely. This one has less backpressure than the Overtons I've played. I'd say in terms of backpressure - probably in the middle between a O'Briain and Overton. Intonation is perfect. The mouthpiece is really nice on them... That said... Overtons are great whistles - I especially like the lower keys... All said - If you're looking for that "Overton Sound", get an Overton.

For those of you in the US, we'll be MK's rep... We have a few coming in soon. If you'd like to be put on the list, give us an email.

Cheers,
jb

mk whistles

Post by jb »

I've been playing an MK Low D for a couple of months now. This is a seriously good whistle. Very well made and really nice to play. It's well in tune, with a good strong bottom end and a loud, clear second octave. The long time in developement has resulted in a good, extremely well made, proffessional instrument.

JB
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I am so confused right now. :boggle:
Let's see who can figure out why.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

1. Check the dates on the posts

if that's not it, then:

2. Check out Dales' Overton/Chieftain/what a mess page: http://www.chiffandfipple.com/whatamess.html

Or 3. Um... I don't know why you are confused.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

NicoMoreno wrote:
Or 3. Um... I don't know why you are confused.
How about, "3: ... buy an Overton ... we'll be MK's rep... "

4. You misplaced your keys but are sure you put them down on the coffeetable just before you picked up your whistle.

5. You thought you clicked on the Singles Matching site, but everyone's talking about whistles.

6. Six is the new Three.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I was confused because the poster later stated that they owned an MK but thanks to Nico I am not so confusd any more. :D
jb

MK Whistles

Post by jb »

Avery, sorry about the confusion. I was really just posting an update since Seanduine and Blayne had responded to my original post.
I went along to Folk Revolution as Seanduine suggested and really liked the MK. Only trouble was there was only a red one left and I fancied a black one. I contacted the maker, Misha Sommerville, direct and he had a new one ready for me at the beginning of January. According to Kenny at Folk Revolution, these whistles are selling really fast so I think we'll probably be hearing more about them in future.

Jack
Albanian

Post by Albanian »

Is it possible to find these whistles on the net?
-Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence to that fact-

George Eliot
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Albanian

Post by Albanian »

Thank you. Hm.....only low whistles.....
-Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence to that fact-

George Eliot