Vol. *3* Wooden Flute Obsession - Tentative artists pg. 6

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

ChrisLaughlin wrote:Tyler Duncan
Does Tyler even play flute? I can't recall ever seeing him with one. Not that I'd be surprised if he could, but I can't see how he would merit inclusion on a WFO album. Flute playing certainly isn't a passion for him.

Now, if you did a Low Whistle Obsession CD, it would be criminal to leave him off of it....
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
smoro
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by smoro »

Marcos Llope, from the incredible Asturian Band Llan de Cubel.

Web:
www.llandecubel.com

Regards,
Serafín Moro.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Chris Layer, NYC.
maracirac

Post by maracirac »

i just want to support brendan in voting for maria rafferty from belfast.i just returned from her and brendan o'hare workshop in italy, and i am really impressed with her playing.powerfull, dinamic, expressive, really worth to be on wfo cd. also, she is nice person, too.
marin
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

maracirac wrote:
i just want to support brendan in voting for maria rafferty from belfast.

I want to do the same: Maria ROCKS!!! very impressive flow and volume!

Frank
phcook

Post by phcook »

What about Malo Carvou, Breton ITM player?

Best wishes
Breizh soner
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Still listening to all the suggestions. I got phone calls to make!

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
kenny

more flute players

Post by kenny »

You must have enough suggestions for Vol.4 by now, kevin.
Here are a few more.

Conal O'Grada
Paddy Taylor
Mick Gavin
PJ Crotty
Patsy Hanly
Paul Roche
Christy Barry
Roger Sherlock
Peadar O'Loughlin
Siobhan O'Keefe
Gerry O'Donnell
Peg McGrath
Leon Agnew
Bill McNamara
Eddie Duffy

Certainly all except the last 3 have made recordings.
I would also endorse the suggestions of Frankie Gavin, Vincent Broderick, Davy Maguire, John Rynne, Seamus Macmathuna and Marcos Llope.
Finally 4 suggestions from Scotland - Brendan Hyde, Rebecca Knorr, Frances Morton and Phil Smillie of "The Tanahill Weavers".
mjmtex

Post by mjmtex »

Please pardon if mentioned already..how about a gentleman who posts sage advice here from time to time, Brad Hurley. I was just rambling about and came upon a reel he recorded with his Bryne 6-key:

http://www.firescribble.net/Milliners.mp3

Lovely stuff indeed.

One other plug would be for a youngster down my way, Daniel Lowery.

I beleive he came in third to Isaac Alderson in the Midwest Regional Fleadh Cheoil a few years back. I had the pleasure of taking a class from him at a weekend retreat recently in Richardson, Texas. He's a young version of Harry Bradley with a bit of Seamus Egan thrown in. A competent and energetic player to say the least.

Matt
fiddlecrazy

Post by fiddlecrazy »

I'm surprised it took so long before someone mentioned Conal O'Grada! He would be great, and I would also like to second Frankie Gavin and John McKenna.

What about Jean-Michel Veillon, the Breton flutist from Kornog? http://www.kornog.net/english/jean-michel.html His email is on that page. Another extremely talented Breton flutist is Sylvain Barou, with the newly formed group Comas. He's only 26 years old. http://www.folk.be/comas/contact.htm He has an email link from that page. There's also Canadian flutist Nicholas Williams, but I'm afraid I don't have a contact for him. Also, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned John Williams, the box player. He plays flute too. http://www.johnwilliamsmusic.com/ His email is at the bottom of the page. And don't forget John Carty, but sorry, I don't have a contact for him.

Thanks for organizing this awesome project!

Max
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Vol. *3* Wooden Flute Obsession - suggestions

Post by greenspiderweb »

Sorry to hear of your loss Kevin.

Yes, to Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh , from her cd 'Morning Star' and,

Eoghan Mac Aogain, from his cds 'Le Fonn' or 'The Clare Hills'

And, how about a good selection of airs?

Thank you for asking!
~~~~
Barry
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I'm not sure if you were aware, Max, but Conal Ó Grada, Jean-Michel Veillon, and Sylvain Barou were all on Volume 1. Check out the website. Kevin has done an excellent job of repeating players as little as possible (if at all).

Cheers,
Aaron
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

AaronMalcomb wrote:I'm not sure if you were aware, Max, but Conal Ó Grada, Jean-Michel Veillon, and Sylvain Barou were all on Volume 1. Check out the website. Kevin has done an excellent job of repeating players as little as possible (if at all).

Cheers,
Aaron
Not Conal O' Grada, who is working on a 2nd solo album, and otherwise is quite a busy man. While I tried for a track for WFO1, and had his permission, both Claddagh & Gael-Linn declined usage of one of his tracks. Right now, I think he's otherwise occupied, and may not wish to contribute a track when he has other projects going. Appearing on the "Wooden Flute Obsession" CDs is an entirely voluntary effort, and there are many reasons, legal and otherwise, why a flute player may not be able to or wish to appear.

No repeats of players, although I won't make that a firm rule. I had also wanted only solos, and there are a few duets and ensemble pieces, as well as a couple of silver flutes.

Also, Eoghan Mac Aogain was on WFO1, from the "Clare Hills" CD.

Kevin Krell
Last edited by kkrell on Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

kkrell wrote:Not Conal O' Grada, who is working on a 2nd solo album, and otherwise is quite a busy man. While I tried for a track for WFO1, and had his permission, both Claddagh & Gael-Linn declined usage of one of his tracks. Right now, I think he's otherwise occupied, and may not wish to contribute a track when he has other projects going.
Och, 'tis true. That's my lesson for opening my mouth too soon. Great to hear Conal is back in the studio. He got such huge tone out of that Rudall w/ Fentum head. I can't wait to hear him on his Hamilton.

Cheers,
Aaron
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Patsy Hanley, for sure. I think he FINALLY recorded some stuff for the Misercordia Hospital Charity CD; I need to get that.
Vincent Broderick, too.
Yes, Frankie Gavin!
And ditto the Llan de Cubel guy!
Anybody mention Josie McDermott yet?
Jack Coen?
Ed Maloney?
Packie Duignan?
Davy McGuire -- and of the younger folks, I'm pretty impressed with Asher Grey ... Isaac Alderson's good, too

Also, I know you don't usually do re-runs, but Liam Kelly seems to be stepping up for more solo stuff with Dervish lately, and both he and his new flute are sounding awesome. (Although I'm still partial to the old Murray ;-)

Any chance for Kelly's "Old Swallowtail" or "O'Raillaigh's Grave"? Smashing stuff!

OK, that's all I can think of for now.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.