It's Beginning To Sound A Lot Like Christmas . . .

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Will O'B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

It's Beginning To Sound A Lot Like Christmas . . .

Post by Will O'B »

Now don't get me wrong . . . I have nothing against Christmas (it's my favorite holiday), or against Christmas music for that matter -- I started practicing several of the tunes on my whistle back in July. BUT, Friday evening a local radio station began playing Christmas music around the clock and my 11 year old son has every radio in the house turned on and tuned in to that station. Right now I'm listening to Burl Ives singing, "It's a holly, jolly Christmas . . ." I love the way Burl sings that song . . . it makes me all tingly. HOWEVER, let's face it, folks, it's not even Thanksgiving yet. It's a little early, in my book, for nonstop Christmas music which will continue until January 1st. I say let's wait until Santa Claus' float moves past the tv screen in the Macy's Parade before we start thinking about Christmas.

My son says that he disagrees and wants to know how you people feel about this topic.

Will O'Ban

PS: I would have agreed with him when I was 11, but the Christmas season didn't start back in those days until the day after Thanksgiving. :)
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Interesting. I was in Giant (groceries) with my 14 yr old this afternoon, and right where seasonal items are displayed they had a boombox going...I think it played that same Burl Ives number 3 or 4 times before we finished and left. I don't generally play Christmas music at home (cds, that is, I may play it on piano or whistle in June!) until a week or two into December.
happyturkeyman

Post by happyturkeyman »

It sould be stretched out the other way and go from the day after Thanksgiving to the day before Valentine's Day.
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I was in a store a week ago and they were playing The Shrieky Ladies version of The Little Drummer Boy. It's gonna be a long freakin' holiday season...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Feadan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Feadan »

Yesterday I was part of a chorus for my wife & daughter’s school Holiday Fair. Bloomfield would have had a good laugh hearing me stumble through "Es ist ein Ros Entsprungen" :D . What a lovely and poignant melody! There are so many cool seasonal songs and the season is so very short I don’t mind starting this early.

I'm sort of a Christmas music snob though. I don't much care for the mainstream Xmas songs; Jingle Bell Rock, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, etc. I especially disdain Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer with it's message of (to paraphrase and augment);

“Now all the reindeer loved him
Because he had some social standing
Before that he was just some stupid-physically-different-git
And it was okay to make fun of him"

Well…alright it doesn't rhyme and I screwed up the meter but, hey…AFAIC, the lesson is someone different is fair game for abuse unless they hold a position/office of high regard. :roll:

Anyhow, I like a good deal of the “Nowell, Sing We Clear” type of material. Stuff out of the Oxford Book of Carols, Wassail songs (not that one called “The Wassail Song” :swear: ), and Wren songs. Great fun to sing and harmonize with.

Cheers,
David
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

I was in Tescos (supermarket) at the start of October and they had selection boxes on sale :boggle: Halloween hadn't even started :x
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I've always been amazed at how early it starts - this year, the X-Mas stuff was going up at our Wal-Mart *before* the Halloween stuff!! I'm not kidding! I've sort of become numb to it...
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

[quote="Feadan"]Yesterday I was part of a chorus for my wife & daughter’s school Holiday Fair. Bloomfield would have had a good laugh hearing me stumble through "Es ist ein Ros Entsprungen" :D . What a lovely and poignant melody!

Chris Norman does a really KILLER version of that tune on either one of his solo albums, or with the Baltimore Consort. It's a theme and variations sort of like the Renaissance composer Van Eyck might have done. It starts off with the simple lovely melody and each succesive repetition gets more and more comples until by the end he's really flying.
I just checked, and this tune is on the Baltimore Consort album "Bright Day Star" which is a wonderful collection of Renaissance and older Christmas music. Most of the commercial stuff makes my flesh crawl, but this whole album is glorious.
Last edited by brewerpaul on Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I have no problems with it. What is the proposed solution? Passing some kind of law against Christmas items going on display before such-and-such a date? Banning Christmas music on the radio before a certain date? To me, it is simple supply and demand. Most retail stores do over half their annual business during the holiday season It is good practical common sense to try and stretched out a bit, instead of trying to cram it all into three weeks in December.

I am one that plans ahead. I have already started accumulating Christmas gifts and have already bought my cards to send out. I believe that good, thoughtful gifts usually do not fall off trees (though it does happen).
+ Bill
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

BillChin wrote:I have no problems with it. What is the proposed solution? Passing some kind of law against Christmas items going on display before such-and-such a date? Banning Christmas music on the radio before a certain date? . . .
+ Bill
Bill, I am not advocating some law establishing when such things can occur. I certainly never intended for my post to be taken to that kind of extreme. Perhaps you just misunderstood what I was trying to say. My point was that it would be nice to take things one holiday at a time. Before being inundated with nonstop Christmas music, why can't we get through Thanksgiving and enjoy that holiday? It just seems to me that there is plenty of time to start the Christmas carols after we have properly celebrated Thanksgiving and given thanks for all of our blessings.

Christmas is a very special and magical time of year for me. I'm sure there are people somewhere who "plan ahead," puting up their tree and stringing the lights and garland around the inside and outside of their house on Labor Day because they think "it is good practical common sense" to stretch the holiday season out. The only problem is that when the day finally rolls around it's not going to be as special for them. And if I live across the street from them and see their house like this every day and night, Christmas isn't going to be as special for me, either. But this doesn't mean there should be a law against it. In my mind it just diminishes the holiday to have it on display long before the holiday season begins.

Will O'Ban

jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Christmas to me is both ... "the most wonderful time of the year" and a major aggravation. Guess that means I'm normal. Love the holiday season, with all it's religious and secular pomp -- hate the shopping.

I have to agree with Will about the music. I prefer Christmas music, on any sort of public broadcast, played mainly after Thanksgiving. Of course, if I'm shopping in a "Christmas Castle" in May I would expect to hear Christmas music. I love the music of the season and play my choices any time of year. Commercially, I can't imagine a radio station already playing non-stop Christmas music. That would be a little much this early, IMO. In my area we only get 24 hour seasonal music on Christmas Eve.

Season's Greetings, y'all!

~Judy
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

My band has its first Christmas concert on Nov. 30 - really late in the season, according to what I have read in this thread...

Best to all.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

jkrazy52 wrote:Christmas to me is both ... "the most wonderful time of the year" and a major aggravation. Guess that means I'm normal. Love the holiday season, with all it's religious and secular pomp -- hate the shopping.

Season's Greetings, y'all!

~Judy
My sentiments exactly, Judy. Additionally, while I don't care for the Christmas carols being played this early on the radio, I have to confess that I keep the Chieftains Christmas CD in my car's stereo year round and listen to it when I want a little of that feel good feeling that comes with the holiday . . . or when I just want to listen to some really good whistle playing. :)

Will O'Ban

TyroneShoelaces

Post by TyroneShoelaces »

when i was your son's age, will, i would have agreed with him cause i wanted christmas to be every day of the year. now that i'm older, and maybe wiser, i realize that it would be too much of a good thing and quickly become old and boring. maybe this is what you're trying to say about not pushing the holiday past the holiday season?

tell your son that tyrone says, "merry christmas" :)
ever been mugged by a quaker?
missy

Post by missy »

Will - your radio station is late. We have one here that started playing 24/7 Christmas music THREE WEEKS ago!!! And it must be some type of canned, timed program, cuz the person that has it on here at work has the same song playing at the same time each day.

As for "Holly Jolly Christmas" - there's a radio comedian here that does a "Best of Burl Ives" routine:
"And now, folks, for his number one hit...."
"Have a Holly Jolly Christmas....."
"and second hit:"
"Have a Holly Jolly Christmas...."
"and who can forget:"
"Have a Holly Jolly Christmas....."

I think you get the picture. :D

And I, too, love that Chieftains' CD - "St. Stephen's Day Murders" is always a pick me up!!!!

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com