How do you get a flute on an airplane?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

How do you get a flute on an airplane?

Post by jim stone »

We're off to Rhode Island for Thanksgivng to
spend five days with The Boss's family.
Oh, god. I'm thinking of taking a flute, perhaps
I can go down in the basement and play
quietly. But how does one get a flute on the
plane? I'm intetested in worst case scenarios.

If one puts it in luggage that gets checked,
does it freeze?

We may not have checked luggage.
Well if I put it in something carry on,
will they let me take it on?
I'm willing to play if for them,
maybe I can pass the hat.
But there was the story about the Seery
taht wasn't allowed on because it could
be used as a blackjack.

I suppose I can call the airline, but
do you'all have experience? Suppose
the flute is keyed and expensive, etc.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Jim - I always travel with my flute. I know it sets off the metal detectors here in my office (a federal building), but getting on a plane no one has once asked to even see it when I've run it through the x-ray machines.

I think I put a link on this board to an FAA security link saying it's OK to take instruments on a plane.

OK - found it:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/edit ... l_1235.xml

That should make you feel better.

Eric
beowulf573
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by beowulf573 »

I always take mine carryon, I don't mind losing pants but would hate to lose a flute.. Most times they open the bag, take a look, and let me go on. Once though they had to bring over a few folks to decide that it really was a flute.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
glauber

Re: How do you get a flute on an airplane?

Post by glauber »

jim stone wrote:But how does one get a flute on the plane? I'm intetested in worst case scenarios.
I always carry it with me, in my hand baggage. Once or twice (only in the US) someone asked me what it was, and once i even offered to play a jig (but i wouldn't do that these days -- no joking with these guys, is probably the best policy). But i've never had any trouble carrying a flute in a plane.

I think a flute would probably survive the cargo compartment well, but i've never had to do it.

YMMV, of course. Especially if you have an Arabic name and wear a long beard and a turban.

I'd take that FAA letter with me just in case. It may not help, but it doesn't cost anything.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I've taken flutes on planes many times. I'd never put a wooden flute in checked baggage because I'm paranoid about the low pressure and temperature. I've made at least a dozen flights with a wooden flute and plastic or aluminum whistles, and the only time I was challenged was in Brussels. Belgium-to-US security is really incredible. Even that wasn't a problem, though. I've put a polymer flute in checked baggage a few times -- no way to know whether it raised any eyebrows, but I still have it.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks, gang. I'm encouraged and really grateful.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Carry-on, absolutely. If the headjoint is lined, some initial concern may be raised (could be a pipe bomb!), but what I do is show them the case and tell them before they ask that I've got a flute there and would they like to see it? One time I just got waved through with no check. So much for security. Be ready to play it. I've been asked to do that, but only once. Word must have got around. :lol:
glauber

Post by glauber »

Don't call it a tune cannon, a session weapon or a flute of mass destruction.
--Wellsprings--
glauber

Post by glauber »

chas wrote:the only time I was challenged was in Brussels. Belgium-to-US security is really incredible. Even that wasn't a problem, though.
Ditto for me, in Vienna. I think it's safe to say that security in international flights entering the US is the hardest. But even there there wasn't much trouble. The "funny" part of it is they would imply that there was something interesting in my bag, but wouldn't tell me what. Kind of like amateur cop psychology, waiting for me to tell them that i had a weapon. I made a tired face and said something like "if you're interested in the thing in the black case, it's a flute" and they waived me on (terrorists are much more likely to be playing banjos).
--Wellsprings--
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Last July; the Hammy's first commercial flight in its snazzy new Moincoin "pistol case"; I'm wondering what the X-ray people will say; I put the case on the belt, and .... the X-ray lady looks at the screen and says, "Oh, look! Is that an Irish flute?"

Go figure.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

glauber wrote:Don't call it a tune cannon, a session weapon or a flute of mass destruction.
:lol:

I wonder what they'd say about the imprint on that Bb that Casey Burns made for John Skelton -- "Mr. Skelton's Weapon of Mass Terror."

(You can see it on Casey's website.)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

I usually travel with my keyless unlined boxwood Olwell and plastic Susato whistles, which seem to be invisible on the scanners. The security people are usually much more interested in my accordion (along the lines of "what the hell is THAT?").
glauber

Post by glauber »

Cathy Wilde wrote:
glauber wrote:Don't call it a tune cannon, a session weapon or a flute of mass destruction.
:lol:
I wonder what they'd say about the imprint on that Bb that Casey Burns made for John Skelton -- "Mr. Skelton's Weapon of Mass Terror."
(You can see it on Casey's website.)
Hehehe! I had to find it!
--Wellsprings--
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

As everyone else has said: carry it on!

I always get asked about my flute and have to open up the case and show it to the inspectors. But it's never been a problem.

At the Orly airport in Paris earlier this year it turned out one of the inspectors was an accomplished Baroque flutist, and I almost missed my flight because she and I got into a long conversation about simple-system flutes.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

glauber wrote:terrorists are much more likely to be playing banjos
I think they'd more likely play the bodhrán.

Cheers,
Aaron