How do you get superglue off blackwood?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Dragon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dragon »

[quote="jim stone"]OK, I'll fess up. Several months ago I tried to superglue a silver ring on a flute and the gremlins shhprrritzed
the glue along the barrel. It's translucent and it's rather
hard to even notice; still it would be nice to take it off.[quote]

AH HA! Superglueing a silver ring on a nice blackwood flute!! Tisk Tisk!
May your pinky stay merged with the flute for a week and a day!
:wink:
“The flute is not an instrument that has a good moral effect; it is too exciting.”

~Aristotle
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

FYI, next time you try it, you can use t-shirt material to make a snug fit for the ring. Place the cloth evenly around the flute, slide the wring over so that it's snug and cut off the excess material.

Search around for Terry McGee commenting on the "t-shirt trick" for better instructions.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Hammy Hamilton recommended a silk handkerchief to me for the same thing. However, once the flute got rehumidified after its long plane trip the ring stayed on just fine, so I'm glad I didn't bind it too much too soon!

Also, superfine steel wool and a lot of patience seems to work for removing Superglue; that's what John S. suggested for managing Superglue "lip plates." I've used a drop of acetone a couple of times but it does want to leach the color out of cocus, so it's not my favorite for that flute ...
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I have superfine steel wool, thanks. Will try.
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

I actually used a black silk hankerchief. The only problem I had was cutting the material with an exacto knife. Hard to get all the threads.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I've found that a scissored very narrow strip of computer paper
under the ring fills the bill. Also, I usually don't need
a whole strip; something half the diameter of the
ring does the trick.
fancypiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Fingernail polish remover is a weaker version of acetone is what I use to unbond superglue.

On most surfaces, after the glue has set and dried, if you sharpen one of your fingernails, you should be able to slide it under the shiney stuff (super glue residue) and peel it right off without any solvent needed.
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Yup...have given up on all the paper and hankerchief methods and have had good luck w/ superglue and silver rings. The glue doesnt seem to stick to the ring but it builds up the wood to a really good tight fit...ie doesnt come off.
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

I find that the superglue on the area aroud the crack is very friable and adheres only weakly to he flute joint.
A sharp knife used at the right angle ( not right angles! ) takes off the excess very easily and so far I have had no trouble. I have done two this afternoon. tidying up old repairs.
A little polish with a fine oiled abrasive paper and a bit of linseed oil finishes things off nicely.