Which whiste is ME?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Which whiste is ME?

Post by Henke »

Hi guys.
I've been very busy with flute playing and the need of buying expensive stuff that comes with it (keys, headjoints and stuff) so my whistle budget has suffered pretty bad from it lately. I've played the whistles but nothing fancier than the old home-tweaked Generations.

Now, I got away pretty cheap on my latest flute upgrade so I have some money that I thought I'd spend on a better whistle. My range is the sort of middle range up to $120 or so.

I'm looking for a good quality whistle with GOOD volume and backpressure. The sound carracteristics I'm looking for are on the purer side, sort of the really good tweaked Generation sound but slightly more refined. Sort of like Joanie Madden on the latest CTL recordings or Paddy Malloney on Down the Old Plank Road. I want it to sound good for both haunting airs and dance tunes. I also need it to be quite loud and tunable (for band work).

Any suggestions? Need your advice...
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Sounds kind of like a Sweetheart Pro. Pure tone, nice sound, plenty loud and tuneable. Possibly a Busman too, though my Busman has more of a complex than a pure tone.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
jonharl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jonharl »

I'd say a Sindt.
Henke

Post by Henke »

Oh, and I forgott to add: I'd rather not wait very long for it.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Henke wrote:Oh, and I forgott to add: I'd rather not wait very long for it.
oops...looks like the Sindt is out then :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

A Sindt is also not loud.

The Sweet Pro is a good suggestion for a loud whistle.
~JessieD
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Which whiste is ME?

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hello Henke,

The Water Weasel by Glenn A Schultz sounds like it would be a good match for you, and it's been reviewed on Chiff by many as excellent, but I haven't played one. Better wait for others to confirm this, or search the posts.

Note: I had forgotten about the back pressure-I'm not sure about that-but I think it's said that you can lean into them, someone correct me if I'm wrong!

They have them at Elderly Instruments, either as a single whistle, or in a set:
high D: http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/TWP1-D.htm

c,d,eb set: http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/TWP3.htm

Here's Glenn's website: http://www.thinweasel.com/

The prices are attractive too! Good luck in your search.
~~~~
Barry
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

If it is wood you are looking for I Know of two you might consider: Weston and Syn. Each are had for under $120 shipped.

Let me know if you might be interested in either one.

Edited to make intentions more clear and correct spelling. :P
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: Which whiste is ME?

Post by colomon »

greenspiderweb wrote:The Water Weasel by Glenn A Schultz sounds like it would be a good match for you, and it's been reviewed on Chiff by many as excellent, but I haven't played one. Better wait for others to confirm this, or search the posts.

Note: I had forgotten about the back pressure-I'm not sure about that-but I think it's said that you can lean into them, someone correct me if I'm wrong!
Well, I don't know about it sounding like a tweaked Generation (wouldn't that depend on how you tweaked it, anyway?), but Water Weasels definitely have the backpressure, volume, tunability, and relatively pure sound. Plus they should be readily available.

They are great little whistles. Good to see that Glenn's website is back up.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

colomon wrote: Well, I don't know about it sounding like a tweaked Generation (wouldn't that depend on how you tweaked it, anyway?), but Water Weasels definitely have the backpressure, volume, tunability, and relatively pure sound. Plus they should be readily available.

They are great little whistles. Good to see that Glenn's website is back up.
I've been "test driving" a fellow chiffer's Water Weasel (thank you Judy!! :) I'll be emailing you soon about sending it back), and I agree with what was said here. I've enjoyed playing it immensely, and would absolutely consider buying one myself. I like the volume....loud but not TOO loud (I can play in the office w/o bothering the other members of the household TOO much :wink: ), and I agree that the sound is pure. Hope that helps!
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
BEC

Post by BEC »

NorCal suggested a wood Syn as one possibility. Even Erle's aluminum ones (and at quite a bit less than your budget) might do what you want, if you're looking for a high D or keys a little ways either side of that.

Heck, you could get a complete set of keys (one head, a bunch of bodies) from E to A for less than your budget, but the Bb and A are not loud....

Just over a week from e-mailed order to delivery from Australia to the northwest US.

I don't work for Erle, I just like mine - no more than that. One thing they do have is more back pressure than my other whistles (Susatos, a stock Generation, a Peri C and an O'Brien D). I like it, myself.....
DanTheWhistleMan

Post by DanTheWhistleMan »

Tjaba Henke!

I haven´t told you yet but I recieved a Humphrey nb d+eflat body last week, just temperement. If you ever come in to Stockholm you´d be welcome to try them! They seem to be great whistles, and very beautifull. I think I still prefer the sound of my Jerry Gen d but the Humphrey has a more focused, less roaming tone which it seems you would like. Let me know if you´re passing by.

-Daniel
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Henke wrote:I'm looking for a good quality whistle with GOOD volume and backpressure. The sound carracteristics I'm looking for are on the purer side, sort of the really good tweaked Generation sound but slightly more refined.
I'd say Gary Humphrey's wide bore whistles fit that description exactly. The wide bore is loud and his whistles feel (and sound) more like a quality, handmade Generation than any other whistle I've tried.

Cheers,
Jens
Henke

Post by Henke »

Thanks everyone. I've more or less decided on aluminium Syn, one head and all seven bodies based on some comments I've read through in other threads and some reviews I saw. It looks like such a good deal to be able to get seven whistles so cheap. Now I just need to get a roll case or something that will carry all the bodies in the same bag safely. I recon he does not include a case since it's so incredably cheap. Any suggestions? I've seen some good stuff on Big Whistle.

Thank you.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Henke wrote:Thanks everyone. I've more or less decided on aluminium Syn, one head and all seven bodies based on some comments I've read through in other threads and some reviews I saw. It looks like such a good deal to be able to get seven whistles so cheap. Now I just need to get a roll case or something that will carry all the bodies in the same bag safely. I recon he does not include a case since it's so incredably cheap. Any suggestions? I've seen some good stuff on Big Whistle.

Thank you.
Erle will provide the roll for you, INCLUDED in the price!!! :o They are a fairly thin type of courderoy, but do a very nice job.

When you order them, just be sure you mention the characteristics so he can focus on that for you.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus