Beginner's Question (Sorry for the repeat)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Thorpe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Beginner's Question (Sorry for the repeat)

Post by Thorpe »

I am thinking of taking up the flute, and was wondering if anyone could recommend a maker?

Also, would it be better to go for a wooden flute or a delrin or pvc or whatever?

All opinions welcomed!

Money is a slight object but want a flute that in time is upgradable ie i can add keys to it.

Cheers

Dan
"The music business is a shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There is also a negative side."
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

You say price is limited, so the ultimate low price, good value flute (according to many, many board members - I've not played one) is the Tipple tunable with or without wedge...somewhere in the $50 to 75 dollar range. But you can't add keys.

To have an upgradable flute, you'll need to spend in the $400 to $500 range. Seery delrin, Ward delrin (although I don't think he's doing keys yet), M&E polymer, Casey Burns without slide or rings are all in your price range. Wood or not is truly a personal preference. I prefer polymer, but it's a lifestyle choice and I don't like having to mess with caring for wood (not that it really takes that much time).

Feel free to ask more questions. I'm sure I've forgotten quite a few maker's flutes like DeKuyser, etc. For 600-700 there are more choices.

Eric
AaronMalcomb

Re: Beginner's Question (Sorry for the repeat)

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Thorpe wrote:Money is a slight object but want a flute that in time is upgradable ie i can add keys to it.
Go for wood. If the flute is not to your taste you can resell without loss (only time). Hamilton does upgrades from keyless to keyed. His flutes are relatively inexpensive and waiting list is short.

Cheers,
Aaron

P.S. Where is Inverurie in regards to Inveraray?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Second this. A good wooden flute that can be retrofitted
is worth the expense, IMO. Dave Copley's flutes
are retrofittable and a good value; other makers
too.
Peach

Post by Peach »

I'm in agrrement! Go for a wood flute.

Skip Healy's keyless models CAN have keys added later, and the wait time is, perhaps, one of the shortest around!

His site: www.skiphealy.com

or you can contact him at:
skip@skiphealy.com

I have both a keyed and a keyless of his making. I actually walked out of his shop with my keyless, as he had some in stock (and may have some now); and the wait for the keyed was only about a month!

Peach
Jay-eye

Re: Beginner's Question (Sorry for the repeat)

Post by Jay-eye »

Thorpe wrote:I am thinking of taking up the flute, and was wondering if anyone could recommend a maker?
Also, would it be better to go for a wooden flute or a delrin or pvc or whatever?
Tipple pvc, no question.

Order now, pay with paypal you could probably have it within a week. It'll always sound great, play in tune, never crack, and is easily blown. Then even if you spend loadsa dosh on a superior quality one later on, it'll always be there for those more casual moments in the rain, in the river, on the camping trip.

Plus, why pay 100's to start with when you might not take to a flute?

j.i.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
Henke

Post by Henke »

I don't think you have to go for wood. A good polymer flute is just as good as a wooden equivalent to me. Michael Cronnolly (M&E flutes http://www.irishflutes.net/ ) are great value, short wait, upgradable and Michael is a great fellow to deal with. I have a polymer R&R model which I am extremely happy with. I'm sending it away in a short while to get 6-keys and a custom made (Blackwood) head (I'm keeping the original aswell). They are also almost indestructible and recuire zero maintenance. You can't go wrong with these flutes.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Dear Mr Thorpe,
I would get a bansuri. Not an expensive one. A cheap one but one that is in D concert pitch. Shouldn't cost more than 10 pounds or so. take a tuner with you when you go to buy. The cheaper flutes can be tricky.

This way you can try out your flute desire with something that
* is in a natural material (original reed)
* can be taken anywhere any time
* needs minimal maintenance
* easily and cheaply replaceable if it cracks
* will break you in to the finger stretch needed
* will make you appreciate a later acquired wooden or professional bansuri much more.

After a year of playing around with this you should be in a better position to decide on a more expensive flute.

Kind Regards,
Talasiga
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Kelpie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kelpie »

I'm biased but I'd recommend a keyless by Dominic Allen - I have an eight keyed by him and I love it to bits you can have keys retrofitted and the sound is great too
Yes of course it was meant to sound that way!
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hello Dan,

I was just in your position, wondering about what flute to buy for my first one, and after reading the glowing reviews here on Chiff about the pvc flutes by Robert Doug Tipple, I went ahead and ordered an 8 hole, 3 piece, white dimpled (inner bore is dimpled, smoothe exterior) Irish type flute in D.

I couldn't be happier with my choice-I saved a bundle of money, I got a wonderful sounding flute, and it also is easy to play for a beginner, such as me. The only thing it lacks is traditional looks (not wooden, no rings) and is not upgradable to adding keys, but it is very nicely crafted, and looks and feels like a musical instrument, not a toy, and has a robust sound to match.

As Jayeye pointed out, if you decide you like the flute, this can be your travel, bad weather, no care flute that you will always have when you don't want to use an expensive wooden flute. And the sound is actually comparable to a much more expensive wooden flute. Don't take my word for it, you can search the posts and see what Michael Eskin (a great musician) actually said in comparing it to his Olwell flute. And this guy can play!

Mr Tipple actually just shipped one to a man in Scotland last week too, so I'm sure he can tell you how much shipping would be to you without any trouble. He is very friendly and helpful in his emails. He wants you to be happy, and he is a very capable craftsman that can do just that. At the price he charges, it's as they say, "a no brainer"!!!

PS I forgot to give you a link to Mr Tipples webpage:

http://home.earthlink.net/~life2all/dougswebspace/

Also added: If you absolutely have to have a wooden flute to begin on, don't hesitate to check out the Casey Burns Folk Flute, at $250 it is also a bargain for a wooden flute. However is is not upgradable. Though, it can be sold for (about $200 used)-very near the purchase price if you want to upgrade to one of his or someone elses upgradable flute. It is aimed at the beginner, also has tone holes placed ergonomically to aid in playing, and comes highly recommend by many, many players; another easy choice. It probably will be MY next flute! Here is the link to his website:

http://caseyburnsflutes.com/

I hope I have helped. Good luck!
~~~~
Barry