Bless me, Father, for I have Synned...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Bless me, Father, for I have Synned...

Post by Redwolf »

My new Syn came from Gaelic Crossings today. What fun! Nifty tooter...hard to believe it's only $38!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I didn't know that Gaelic Crossings was selling Syns, can you please indulge us with a Synful review. Also, that there were new sins available.

Have fun and enjoy your new whistle.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I love new whistle days! I am in anxious anticipation of 2...and every day, all that arrives is boring flat stuff...
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

MarkB wrote:I didn't know that Gaelic Crossings was selling Syns, can you please indulge us with a Synful review. Also, that there were new sins available.

Have fun and enjoy your new whistle.

MarkB
As soon as I've had a chance to get to know this new toy, I'll review it. I need to do a review of my Burke too (otherwise known as "my preciousssss!"), but every time I sit down to play it I get all misty eyed and can't put it down long enough to type anything!

Yes, Gaelic Crossings has Syn Ds in stock.

Redwolf
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Redwolf, does yours have the engraved "Syn" and the key on the barrel?

I got my original Syn D from Gaelic Crossings, and the barrel is plain. I'm not sure if the engraving is a later addition, or only done when you order a multiple-key set. The set I got from NorCal (D-C-Bb-A) is nicely engraved, hence the query.

Dana
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Piccies of the aluminum and lancewood whistles and some comments here:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=22577
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

DCrom wrote:Redwolf, does yours have the engraved "Syn" and the key on the barrel?

I got my original Syn D from Gaelic Crossings, and the barrel is plain. I'm not sure if the engraving is a later addition, or only done when you order a multiple-key set. The set I got from NorCal (D-C-Bb-A) is nicely engraved, hence the query.

Dana
Yes, mine has the engraving.

Redwolf
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Redwolf, have you ever tried a Syn in wood?
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

alespa wrote:Redwolf, have you ever tried a Syn in wood?
You played my lancewood at Tony's, didn't you, Redwolf? I seem to remember that.

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

NorCalMusician wrote:
alespa wrote:Redwolf, have you ever tried a Syn in wood?
You played my lancewood at Tony's, didn't you, Redwolf? I seem to remember that.
Yes, I did. It's a beaut!

Redwolf
BEC
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BEC »

I'm afraid I'm a repeat Synner...... after getting the E to A (E/Eb/D/C/Bb/A) set I just had to get another C/D set to keep in my briefcase for impromptu opportunites to Syn.

Yes, they all have the engraving at the top of the barrel.

If these inexpensive instruments sound and feel this good to play (though the A cannot be pushed very hard at all) I can only imagine what the wood ones must be like.

I know I love my rosewood Kung Superio soprano and alto recorders for their feel and their sound......
IDAwHOa

Post by IDAwHOa »

BEC wrote: If these inexpensive instruments sound and feel this good to play (though the A cannot be pushed very hard at all) I can only imagine what the wood ones must be like.

I know I love my rosewood Kung Superio soprano and alto recorders for their feel and their sound......
Yes, the A tube is a real limit setter, but doable. The one I received was pretty off in the OXXOOO fingering. I could not find a fingering to make that note work. Works great as a straight A whistle though. DISCLAIMER: Erle does NOT say this is the best key at all for this configuration and only provides it as an inexpensive way to get a feel for that key.

The wooden Syn's are a real joy to play. I played I. Ron Wood on the tour and currently have a D and C in Lancewood. Matt has sent me his Teak set to try out. They are all quite different beasts, but being individually hand made I think that is acceptable and understandable.

The lancewood is quite dense and the teak very light and airy so conventional thought might indicate a difference in sound. What I have found out is the variability comes primarily from the head area and that it is not as drastic a difference as one might expect. Each of the heads I have do have differences but this is mainly in the amound of breathyness and what I call growling (that subtle little rumble or bubbling noise, you DO hear it in some of your whistles, don't you? :-? ).

Without serious test equipment, it appears to my wifes ear (hey! not that she isn't serious test equipment! :P ) it does not matter which tube goes on which head, the sound does not change all that drastically. For example one of my heads plays pretty pure and without a bunch of breath noise and no growl. With my lancewood D tube it sounds quite similar to when I put the teak tub on as well.

I will post more if I discover anything new over the next couple of years with the teak set.

alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

funny, ha ha ha . . . ha . . . hey, wait a minute . . . did you say "year"? :o
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

NorCalMusician wrote:Yes, the A tube is a real limit setter, but doable. The one I received was pretty off in the OXXOOO fingering. I could not find a fingering to make that note work. Works great as a straight A whistle though. DISCLAIMER: Erle does NOT say this is the best key at all for this configuration and only provides it as an inexpensive way to get a feel for that key.
I find that 0XX X0X and 0XX XX0 both work pretty well, but I try to half-hole the Gnat ("Cnat") fingering when I can. For airs, all three choices are simple enough - for fast pieces, I sometimes forget and use the 0XX 000 fingering (but if it's fast enough, it isn't quite as noticable).

The Bb tube works fine with the 0XX 000 fingering, though.

If you want some of the unusual keys, or just want a really good whistle for a good price, it's hard to beat a Syn. Just don't expect too much volume from the Bb or A tubes :lol: (I have other good, loud, whistles for those keys, anyway)
IDAwHOa

Post by IDAwHOa »

alespa wrote:funny, ha ha ha . . . ha . . . hey, wait a minute . . . did you say "year"? :o
No, I said YEARS!!!!! :P