looking for a case for CB Folk Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
stiofan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

looking for a case for CB Folk Flute

Post by stiofan »

I have a Casey Burns Folk Flute and recently bought the soft case that he (actually his daughter Lila) makes for it; however, I'd prefer a hard case, preferably made of wood. Does anyone have any suggestions for a case that fits the following dimensions for a 2-piece flute?

head: 9.5"
foot: 15.5"
width: approx 1.5"

(I know that gun cases are used by some as flute cases, but I'm wondering about something that's made especially for flutes)

thanks for any suggestions
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eilam »

Jon makes nice boxes for his instruments.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Hi Stiofan,
Here is some pictures of a box I just finished. It is made from solid Oak,
with solid brass hardware. The inside is lined with black velvet.
I was inspired by Julia's new Clemeni flute case, to inset a place for the cleaning rod. 8)
Jon

bildio
Tell us something.: I am registering due to interest in flutes and small pipes. I also have an interest in numerous other musical instruments.

Post by bildio »

Jon,

Very nice case.

What tool(s) do you use to make the box joints?

Bill
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Wow, very nice Jon. Does each case come with a flute? :D

Patrick
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Hi Bill,
I use a tablesaw to make the finger joints.

Ya Doc,
I forgot the no claimer, "flute not included," or "Not actual size"... :roll:
Jon
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

Lark in the Morning sells a very nice wooden flute case. They come in two sizes, standard and one called "for flute with long center joint" or something like that. The "long" one fits my Burns folk flute very nicely. They are overpriced though.
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

It should come with a flute, for that price! :lol:
And if fish could fly...
Jon
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Jon,
Nice syn, it looks as though you must be playing it since it is out with the rest of your stuff.

And I can definately vouch for Jon's case, they are extremely well made and a wonderful addition to a nice flute.

Michael
Julia C

Post by Julia C »

Jon once again, a fine piece of work. Check out those dovetails! Drool over that recessed top panel! Very envious / admiring of your skills! And as for
I was inspired by Julia's new Clemeni flute case, to inset a place for the cleaning rod.
My Clem case & I will now burst with pride :D
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

thanks Jon, and everyone for the info/input. by the way, Jon and I met in September here in San Francisco, when I had the opportunity to see one of his own flutes (that he had made himself) - a lovely blackwood--was it a Pratten design, Jon? Though I'm just learning the flute, it played easily for me, and I found it to be a well-crafted instrument, though I'm sure a more experienced player could elaborate further on Jon's flutes.
livethe question

Post by livethe question »

I have a laminated box, looks like wood but it's not, that I'm not using. Two green felt lined slots. Problem is, it's 15 1/8 inch long, inside measurements so if the Burns is all of 15 1/2 inches it wouldn't fit without modification. If it's something that interests you, or anyone else, let me know and I'll get you some pictures. Cost would be $45 with shipping here in the US and whatever cost of shipping for other destinations. Sturdy good looking box.

take care

jim d
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

livethe question wrote: Problem is, it's 15 1/8 inch long, inside measurements so if the Burns is all of 15 1/2 inches it wouldn't fit without modification.
jim d
You just have to chop a little off the flute... :D
michael_coleman wrote:
Nice syn, it looks as though you must be playing it since it is out with the rest of your stuff.
I like the syn whistle alot, it is my favorite whistle! Thanks again!

Julia,
thanks for the nice comments, that thing was a "rubits cube" to glue together, the top and bottom are hidden dattos.
Jon
cflutist

Looking for a soft case for Casey Burns Folk Flute

Post by cflutist »

Hi, I am new to the boards and new to Irish Flutes (but have played a Boehm flute for 36 years). Just ordered a Casey Burns Folk Flute and would like to know if the Sweetheart velcro soft case (Sweetheart makes a 2 piece flute) would fit the CB Folk Flute?

Also, will be visiting Lark in the Morning (in Mendocino) in December and would like to know if they sell a soft case that would fit?
djm

Post by djm »

I have the CB ergonomic flute, and bought a soft case from him for it. I should think you would be able to buy one from CB along with your flute.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.