Inexpensive C

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DaveG
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Inexpensive C

Post by DaveG »

I'm looking for a good,inexpensive whistle in C.. What do you recommend? I've tried the Hoover whitecap, but I overblow it too easily..
"Do not fear;Zion,let not your hands be weak;
The Lord your God in your midst;
The Mighty One,will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you in His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing."
Ridseard

Re: Inexpensive C

Post by Ridseard »

DaveG wrote:I'm looking for a good,inexpensive whistle in C.. What do you recommend? I've tried the Hoover whitecap, but I overblow it too easily..
The Susato C is a professional quality whistle which is hard to beat at any price, and it doesn't overblow too easily. Listen to Mick Woodruff's recording of Kiss the Maid on a Susato C - http://fingertrip.net/clipsnip/kissthemaid-mick.mp3
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

Generation is the first one that comes to mind. They are less than six dollars at the Whistle Shop, although you may want to throw in a few others, Bb, and F are good ones, to defray the shipping, which is about 6 dollars as well for the first pound or so. (even if you just get one whistle)---I haven't tried the Dixon C but I like Dixons overall and you can get a non-tunable C for $20. at the Harp and Dragon; not sure if Whistle Shop has this key of Dixon's. --mike (-We posted at about the same time so I'm assuming Jim was seconding the Susato.)
Last edited by Miwokhill on Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Second this--also the Generation C can be good.
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

Walton's C is about the same price as the Generation - I have two (1 each brass and nickel) and they're both very good.

The Syn C is very good also, and you can get a whole D-C-Bb-A or Eb-D-C-Bb set for under $60.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Inexpensive C

Post by greenspiderweb »

Wow, is that a great sounding clip by Mick! Makes you want to run out and grab a Susato C! I've heard Mick Woodruff play other clips, and they have lot in common with this one-he's GOOD! The Susato might have some volume to it, if you don't mind-it probably is night and day compared to the Hoover whitecap.

I have a Waltons C also and it doesn't seem too easy to overblow, but it does need some breath control, and is mild mannered, similar to the Oak. If you're blowing into it like a trumpet, it might not work though.

In time, the Hoover might be fine if you play it enough and learn more control. They are thought of highly, though I haven't tried one yet.
~~~~
Barry
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

I'll second the susato. I've got a gen C that's alright, and a feadog I like better, but I'm not that fond of either. I do like the susato C I've got though.
Good n cheap for what ya get.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I like the Susato C. For a more traditional whistle sound, I also like the Oak C quite a bit.

--James
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

I want a Susato C now too! --- don't they offer a set of 3 barrels for about the price of 2 whistles at some shops?
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

Inexpensive and very good:
Walton's C
Walton's C
Walton's C
Generation C
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

I have a Shaw C that I like a lot. I tweaked it a tad by pinching the windway a bit lower, but that's all. Nice, sort of mournful sound
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

Jerry Freeman's Tweaked Walton would be a good choice for $36.00 at whistleanddrum.com
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Thanks for the advert, Jon.

The Waltons I offer is a tweaked "Mellow Dog," in D. It's a tweaked Feadog whistlehead on a tweaked Waltons Mellow D tube, and it's voiced quite a bit sweeter/purer than the stock Mellow D. These are available from www.whistleanddrum.com, www.thewhistleshop.com and www.bigwhistle.co.uk .

I do offer tweaked Generation C whistles, however. There are a couple on their way to Gaelic Crossings and will be available for sale there in a day or two, or you can order directly from me. The price is $37.50 plus $3.85 postage.

This is voiced just a little sweeter/purer, less husky than a stock Generation C whistle, and it's been set up to minimize the tendency to buzz, rattle or squawk. It's a very traditional sounding whistle, with a voicing similar to the vintage, pre-1980's D Generations.

I have them on hand, if anyone wants to order directly, and I'll try to keep them in stock for anyone who wants them.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Last edited by Jerry Freeman on Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chas

Post by chas »

I've looked and looked for decent C whistles. The first that I found was a Thin Weasel, which is way expensive. I went hunting for one for the car a year or so ago, and I was blown away by the Walton's. It doesn't sound like a D whistle that's trying to play a step down, it sounds like a whistle that was designed to play in C.

I also quite like the Susato C, but it's not for everybody. Definitely not a car whistle. :wink:
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
toughknot

Re: Inexpensive C

Post by toughknot »

DaveG wrote:I'm looking for a good,inexpensive whistle in C.. What do you recommend? I've tried the Hoover whitecap, but I overblow it too easily..

What do you consider "inexpensive"? $7 0r $8 Or 40 some $ ?