Do Your Children Play?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
rodfish
antispam: No

Do Your Children Play?

Post by rodfish »

My 17 year old daughter has become serious about the whistle!

She has often picked up one of mine in the past to play for a bit, but for the past several months she's become more interested. So I gave her a Susato. :) Just to see what would happen.
Now, just about every night, when she's finished with her homework, she quietly comes into my study with her whistle, sits down and just looks at me with that little smile until I get mine out and away we go!

It is such a thrill, for me for us to play together that I can hardly describe it. And she's getting pretty good! She likes hymns the best, so I think up all the ones we can play together (not too many yet; any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.) and we have a great time.

Mack Hoover graciously offered to make a white cap to match the one I already have, so we'll have whistles that will sound just about as close to one another as is humanly possible! Isn't that great!!

Do any of you play the whistle with your kids?
Does it get any better than that?!! :D

Rod
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

That is so cool!

My daughter isn't really into any kind of trad music, I'm afraid, but I keep hoping that maybe someday....

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
suejnnhe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by suejnnhe »

Very Cool!!! :thumbsup:

My 13 year old daughter plays the whistle a bit, but not too seriously because it messes up her fingerings on the flute, which is her band instrument.

The other day, we started practicing Silent Night together. She on her flute and me on my whistle. It was awseome!

HeySue
HeySue!
_________
Don't Panic!
NZ_Chris

Post by NZ_Chris »

Neither of my kids plays the whistle (yet!) although one plays trumpet and the other clarinet. I've never played my whistles with them but I have to admit there has been a very special kind of thrill when we find tunes to play together with me on my flute. Usually xmas carols ... and the season for that is coming up again soon :)
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Both of my adult daughters absolutely detest whistle tunes. Actually, they use to cry when they were little and I got out the pipes. They both do play instruments but nothing with me. I wish they did. I use to play all the time with my Dad and brother and it was great fun.

BUT- just this week my 18 month old grandaughter finally figured out how to make the whistle sound a note, so I'm working on her!
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

My kis hate the whistle. My daughter took up violin because I really, really wanted her to be in the band. She played soccer because I really, really wanted her to play softball. She is proud that she's so "her own self." I am too. So, I never "want" her to do anything anymore, or if I do, it's not something I really want her to do.

The other day, she was practicing violin, and I took out my sheetmusic for Dark Island, and set it in front of her.

"Can you play this?"

Without a word she played it. Pretty well for sight reading. When she was done I took my music back and said, "Real nice. It's one of my favorite tunes. Thanks." Then I left.

A little while later she asked me if she could have a copy of it. I really had to work hard not to smile. If I work it right, after she's played it on her own a couple of times, I'll slip in and play along.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
emmline

Post by emmline »

My oldest daughter, 18, has an elfsong, and we have played duets.
My 14 year old's newest piano assignment is Pachelbel's Canon in D, so I'm hoping, like John, to pull off a stealth accompaniment.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

My eldest son played mostly guitar when a teenager, and after a year or so, he started playing occasionally with me.

Now (age 34), he plays DADGAD and standard guitar, mandolin and concertina. He can play a little whistle, but doesn't want to duplicate what the rest of the band plays.

My youngest played quite a bit when he was 10-11 years old, but he is interested in Rock 'n Roll drumming and bass.

I got him to promise to take some whistles to Korea as he had to travel light and store his stuff, but he hasn't mentioned anything about it since he got there. :roll:

I was hoping he would get good on it and take over the piping for the band as I get weaker and weaker, but I guess he will have to leave the Air Force before he has time to mess with music much. He has to work this weekend, so I didn't even get to play Day of Defeat with him this weekend. :x
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

My eldest son played mostly guitar when a teenager, and after a year or so, he started playing occasionally with me.

Now (age 34), he plays DADGAD and standard guitar, mandolin and concertina. He can play a little whistle, but doesn't want to duplicate what the rest of the band plays.

My youngest (age 31) played quite a bit of whistle (and got lots of complements) when he was 10-11 years old, but he is interested now mostly in Rock 'n Roll drumming and bass.

I got him to promise to take some whistles to Korea as he had to travel light and store his stuff, but he hasn't mentioned anything about it since he got there. :roll:

I was hoping he would get good on it and take over the piping for the band as I get weaker and weaker, but I guess he will have to leave the Air Force before he has time to mess with music much. He has to work this weekend, so I didn't even get to play Day of Defeat with him this weekend. :x
NZ_Chris

Post by NZ_Chris »

emmline wrote:My oldest daughter, 18, has an elfsong, and we have played duets.
My 14 year old's newest piano assignment is Pachelbel's Canon in D, so I'm hoping, like John, to pull off a stealth accompaniment.
lol - stealth accompaniment - I love that idea :)
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Of my 4 sons, only one is musically inclined, and plays the Horn in his high school band. He can play my whistles, and sometimes I ask him to, just so I can evaluate the sound of them. However, he wouldn't play one just for the enjoyment of it ~ although he did usurp my Clarke for awhile when I first got it a few years back.

The rest of them like to hear me play whistle and flute, but are disinclined to pick one up themselves.
jen f

Post by jen f »

emmline wrote:My 14 year old's newest piano assignment is Pachelbel's Canon in D, so I'm hoping, like John, to pull off a stealth accompaniment.
What arrangement is she using? There is a lovely arrangement out by Robin Spielberg ( http://www.robinspielberg.com , but the site seems to be a little messed up right now). It is actually a transcription of one of her improvizations on the Canon. It's quite beautiful! Not on topic, I know, but I thought you might like to know.
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Both of our grown sons play instruments - the 26 year old is a teacher and professional musician on woodwinds. Our 9-year old daughter is a dancer, who plays piano, cello, hammer dulcimer, and whistle. A few years ago, when Mack Hoover was working out the intracacies of his Whitecap design, a prototype went back and forth between us, a few times. Mack finally made a gift of the prototype to us, and Sarah has been playing her high D, ever since. I love to sit with her in the evening, and play tunes. She made her debut with my band, last year - playing a back-up to our vocal version of Sally Gardens.

Best to all.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
emmline

Post by emmline »

jen f wrote:
emmline wrote:My 14 year old's newest piano assignment is Pachelbel's Canon in D, so I'm hoping, like John, to pull off a stealth accompaniment.
What arrangement is she using? There is a lovely arrangement out by Robin Spielberg ( http://www.robinspielberg.com , but the site seems to be a little messed up right now). It is actually a transcription of one of her improvizations on the Canon. It's quite beautiful! Not on topic, I know, but I thought you might like to know.
It appears to be a Fred Kern student arrangement for Christmas with a few carol snippets tossed in.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

my 14 yo daughter says that the detests "Mom's music" and yet she is as bad as I am when it comes to playing. Whenever she passes the vase that holds the whistles, she grabs one and plays a tune or two before she puts it back and goes back to whatever she was doing to begin with. She really is quite good (for a beginner...she has picked it up quickly) and I'm hoping to have her learn a tune that she and I can play together.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.