Scoiltrad Issue

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

It's baffling.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Yeah, it's somewhat silly to risk ruining a reputation because of technical glitches, if that's what it is. When you run a website and you start running into problems, whatever they might be, first thing you need to do is to disable the billing feature, because the banks don't care who you are (up to a point), if chargebacks start popping in you're in deep trouble, they might not be able to get another online merchant account for years because of this.
glauber

Post by glauber »

FWIT, the upload feature has never worked for me. But in the past, all it took was sending the tune by email, and they were always responsive.

I put another message in IRTRAD-L, asking them to check out this tread.

g
--Wellsprings--
upiper71

Re: ScoilTrad issue

Post by upiper71 »

I've tried several times to contact them every response has been ..so far.. things are shoddy and they are working on the "new" website..but the last time I've heard from Eoin was in July 04 sometime.

I suspect that they may evolve to the more secure CD ROM era hopefully soon as some pipers from NPU have done.

Good luck..

P.S> ever try contacting them for each tunes individually(instead of the course). Last I heard Scoiltrad courses were still the developmental stages.
upiper71

Re: ScoilTrad issue

Post by upiper71 »

upiper71 wrote:I've tried several times to contact them every response has been ..so far.. things are shoddy and they are working on the "new" website..but the last time I've heard from Eoin was in July 04 sometime.

I suspect that they may evolve to the more secure CD ROM era hopefully soon as some pipers from NPU have done.

Good luck..

P.S> ever try contacting them for each tune individually (instead of the course). Last I heard Scoiltrad courses were still the developmental stages.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

OnTheMoor wrote:Good point. Gary, did the credit card company make an attempt at contacting them? I'm wondering where on earth these payments are going if everyone at Scoiltrad has apparently wandered into the Irish Sea. This is all very strange.
Actually I don't know. Visa said they'd credited my acount with the full amount, but that they were still investigating the issue; they've reserved the right to debit the amount again if either a) Scoiltrad subsequently refunded me themselves or b) their investigations revealed that I had in fact obtained all the goods and services I'd paid for.

In all honesty, I would much rather everything had worked out. I started on the flute in April, and after 4 months figured I'd progressed enough to warrant some real tuition rather than just pointlessly noodling away on my own. For me, it was quite exciting, not to mention nerve-wracking, recording that first (and only) assignment, and then there was the apprehension of waiting to hear whether I should abandon all hope and switch to the kazoo, or whether there was in fact some potential in my miserable efforts. After all that it just sort of fizzled out like a damp squib.

I've since found another teacher though, so I shan't be rushing out for that kazoo after all.
Yet.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Well I tried sending in my first assessment, and, no surprise, the web form did not work. I suppose i could try by e-mail, but Ive already sent 2 e-mails to info@scoiltrad.com with no response. I called VISA and they said they would wait 30 days to see if the merchant came through and, if not, then they would initiate a charge back. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Does anyone have any e-mail adde that seems to work better?
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I'm really sorry to hear about the issues with Scoiltrad. I was lucky, I guess, to be working with them when they weren't having problems. It was (is) a great idea and was really helpful to me. I hope they can get the problems ironed out and get back to business.

Susan
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Any news, OnTheMoor? Has it been 30 days yet?

I see another issue just popped up on the ITM board...

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=23694

Things would appear to be going from bad to worse...
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Actually I was about to post this weekend asking if anyone (glauber?) had heard anything new. VISA will initiate a charge-back at my request on Nov. 18th. Are they suffering from collective amnesia?
glauber

Post by glauber »

No, nothing. I emailed Conal and even sent him an urgent message through the IRTRAD-L mail list. The only thing i got was what i already said here, someone told me:
I think Scoil Trad may be winding down a bit...Conal has recently started a new day job, which is probably taking up most of his time at the moment. He is no longer teaching the flute classes in UCC.
It's baffling. Why would these guys piss off half of the world? If they don't want to continue, why don't they put a notice on their Web site and/or at least stop selling stuff?
:-?
--Wellsprings--
glauber

Post by glauber »

www.scoiltrad.com seems to be down. i can't be sure, because my Internet connection is not very reliable.
--Wellsprings--
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

glauber wrote:www.scoiltrad.com seems to be down. i can't be sure, because my Internet connection is not very reliable.
Yes, is IS down. I have a very reliable internet connection.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

NorCalMusician wrote:
glauber wrote:www.scoiltrad.com seems to be down. i can't be sure, because my Internet connection is not very reliable.
Yes, is IS down. I have a very reliable internet connection.
Domain Name: SCOILTRAD.COM
Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
Whois Server: whois.opensrs.net
Referral URL: http://domainhelp.tucows.com
Name Server: NS1.INTERNET-DNS.NET
Name Server: NS2.INTERNET-DNS.NET
Updated Date: 15-nov-2003
Creation Date: 11-nov-2000
Expiration Date: 11-nov-2004

>>> Last update of whois database: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 07:13:37 EST <<<

NOTICE: The expiration date displayed in this record is the date the
registrar's sponsorship of the domain name registration in the registry is
currently set to expire. This date does not necessarily reflect the expiration
date of the domain name registrant's agreement with the sponsoring
registrar. Users may consult the sponsoring registrar's Whois database to
view the registrar's reported date of expiration for this registration.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

So rather than go through all the trouble of closing down and letting people know that they were going to close down, they just decided to let their time run out and let everyone get their own money back? Super.