whistling mandolin players?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Miwokhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

whistling mandolin players?

Post by Miwokhill »

Just wondering if there are many whistlers out there who also play mandolin? I've been working on tunes and what I've been doing lately is playing the tune on whistle and then picking up the mandolin and playing it on that. Actually I'll also play it on the fiddle then too. I feel like I'm learning the tune on all three of these instruments at the same time. This way I can gain proficiency and speed on all three together. It also seems to help with really getting the tune down in general. -- If you've thought about getting into mandolin, or fiddle, it's not that tough to learn and it's much easier to pick out single notes, like whistle music, than it is on guitar. --mike
rh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: whistling mandolin players?

Post by rh »

Miwokhill wrote:Just wondering if there are many whistlers out there who also play mandolin?
i'm one. i think there are a few others here too.
there is no end to the walking
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

I don't play mandolin, but my friend just got one. So now we're going about looking for tunes to play. It's a lovely instrument. I might have to save my nickels and dimes.

Little John
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I play mostly guitar these days, but also play mandolin. At the moment, I'm also keeping a fiddle close to my computer desk in an open case, although I don't have much hope of ever getting good at it.

I find that whatever I learn on whistle goes to the other instruments almost without thought--just find the first note, work through it a couple of times if there are any tricky spots, and that's it.

Slow guitar stuff transfers back to the whistle the same way. I still can't play anything fast on the whistle, but then I seldom even try.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I play mandolin (and 'zouk.) Guitar is my first instrument.
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

I'm just starting to learn mandolin, so I can't really say that I play it.... but I'm slowly making progress. :)
ancatsidhe

Post by ancatsidhe »

I"m just starting to relearn fiddle (I had the misfortune of being classically trained and being not particularly good at that, so I'm hoping I might have better luck with music I actually enjoy), but until I get the bow rehaired, it's getting treated as a mandolin anyway. I'd like to learn mandolin, but I don't think that'll be happening any time in the near future.

Since I"m a newbie with the whistle too, for the most part, it's being quite the adventure indeed. I'm glad to find I'm not the only one out there trying something like this ^_^;

L
"... Even the Atheists are Lutheran-- It is a Lutheran God they do not believe in." ~Garrison Keillor
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Guilty as charged. In fact, there is a guy on the mandolin cafe that has a user name very similar to Wombat's. hmmmm :wink:
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I can whistle while playing the bodhran :D

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

If you're looking for tunes the nice thing is you can play whistle tunes on it. For instance the 121 session tune book by McCullough works nicely for whistle , mandolin, fiddle... -I had bought a cheap Epiphone, less than $200, on somewhat of a lark but it's not a bad mandolin for the price. -There was a book I'd gotten when I bought the mandolin that is pretty good for learning bluegrass tunes. It sort of teaches a strum and pick out the melody technique but I shouldn't say teach because it's very easy to pick up. It's called Bluegrass Mandolin Method by Ray Valla. It has a cd with the tunes and it's in Tab as well as standard notation. Mel Bay is the publisher. -a good book if you're just starting out. With a little perserverance though you can teach yourself to read music for it and just go for whistle or session tunes.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I play a bit of Mando. I really like it, but don't do it all that often. When I go to sessions, I usually bring it along for a change between flute or whistle playing.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
eskin

Post by eskin »

I play mandolin and whistle! Have to have something to play on all those Reavey tunes... :-)
livethe question

Post by livethe question »

I play a little mandolin and I'm finally taking lessons and at last making some significant progress.....and having fun too.

I've been seeing someone using the name "Glauber" over on the message board at Mandolin Cafe. Could that be our Gluaber?

take care

jim d
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I started playing mandolin many many years ago with my Dad (on guitar) and brother(on fiddle or banjo or mandolin or whatever). Dad had his mother's mandolin,and old Gibson from the early 20s so I picked it up. We've still got it and even though it's tone is not much now because the front split and warped over time, it is still the easiest one to play I've ever tried. This could have been partly because it has been played so much there are little indentions on the neck where many, many fingers have pressed.

I have learned a few ITM and STM tunes on it but mostly I only play old time on mandolin.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Lorenzo wrote:Guilty as charged. In fact, there is a guy on the mandolin cafe that has a user name very similar to Wombat's. hmmmm :wink:
Not me, honest. I'd better check that out actually; it might be one of my cousins.