We are a Wild bunch!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.

Why the flute?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:52 pm

The people who first had the flute in some parts of the world were “trouble makers”.
15%
The flute’s sound was so enchanting to people (prior to TVs) that the emotions it raised was fighting, thus bad.
23%
Since they did not/could not play the flute, they “bad mouthed” it.
15%
The flute was an instrument used by people who were defeated by the quotes author’s people. Thus demonized, along with the rest of their culture. (Similar to the harp in Ireland).
8%
No idea, its news to me too.
No votes
It all sounds good to me
23%
Other: I have my own theory (Please tell us about it!!)
15%

Total votes: 13

talasiga
antispam: No

Post by talasiga »

Cathy Wilde wrote:........
Anyway, as one who played Mozart's G and D Concertos (plus segments of the C for Flute and Harp) in public performance (albeit many moons ago), I find plenty to recommend them, esp. from a player's standpoint.

For one thing, his concerti are VERY flute-friendly. Which is why they're mainstays of the repertoire. So don't think the guy didn't know what worked well on the instrument.

(And the various cadenzas you can attach to them (lots by other people -- do I remember Karl Stamitz penning a few?) are a blast.)

For another, Mozart had a terrific understanding of the flute's voice and that voice's abilities to induce various responses in the listener. As an example, I invite you to listen closely to any of Jean-Pierre-Rampal's recordings; the G in particular. If the slow movement doesn't make your throat tighten up in a couple of places, I'll be surprised. And then there are the flute parts in his orchestral pieces. In my experience, he sure didn't WRITE like he hated the flute ....

Finally, and most germaine to our purposes here:

I wouldn 't be surprised IN THE SLIGHTEST if the flutemaking industry did some heavy-duty evolution to accommodate Mozart's music and what followed it (i.e., the "sweeter" R&R. Could it be???? :eek:!)

In other words ... ever stop to consider what those cool antique keyed flutes were designed to play before we started noodling around with Irish tunes?

So. I think Mozart's style & approach revealed yet more colors in the flute's tonal palette, advanced the playing of the instrument considerably, added to the repertoire, set new standards for technical ability and bravura (at least of that time), and quite possibly advanced the design of the instrument as well.

To me that counts for a LOT, whether you like him or not.
Very nicely presented Cathy. I'll try to sit through one of those performances next time.
I am just being honest. His music repulses me. Stuffy European court music from the pre Romantic era. Ripping off traditioanl ethnnic themes from the country side and ensconcing and developing them in stuffy cake icing compositions for the audience of neurotic courtesans dripping with crusty talcum. Poof! You know, when the peasants had no bread they said "let them eat cake". I cannot even write doggerel about my revulsion for Mozart. Bias is not good for creativity I s'pose .........

But you have done well Cathy.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Thanks for the kindness, Tal. And believe me, if I had only 1 classical CD to take to a desert island, Mozart would not be it (Rachmaninoff's Vespers would win hands down, and there's not a flute, or any instrument outside the human voice, anywhere near that recording). In fact, Wolfie might not even squeak into my top 10.

So I'm not saying anyone has to like him, but I did want to recognize that he has added some value; if nothing else, he probably brightened up a few of those dark Austrian winter nights in his day, and has buoyed more than a few people over the years since.

(... And I must admit I actually choked up when I stood in the dark, humble second-floor set of Salzburg rooms where he was born and spent his early years.)

But hey. Ain't music grand?

BTW, if anyone's ever up for an experiment, try the Mozart D or G concerto on your Irish flute. It's FUN, and you might hear a whole 'nother side of your flute!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Dragon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Still am a trouble maker......

Post by Dragon »

JessieK wrote:Dragon, your reaction to the post about the German flute is so touching! What flutes do you have and play?
I have two fifes (a plastic special, and a maple wood), a bamboo flute (Renaissance fair special), and the one I am waiting with baited breath for.....a small hands model African Black Wood, keyless one piece beauty from Byrns in WA state! Can hardly wait.

I also have 2 whistles (one tulip wood, the other brass), and about 12 Native American flutes ranging from birds eye and tiger maple to cedar and redwood, pentatonic to traditional. I have been having a hard time finding an Irish flute that will fit my hands, but I’m sure the Byrns flute will do the trick!
“The flute is not an instrument that has a good moral effect; it is too exciting.”

~Aristotle
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

I have to leap to Mozzies defence as well. I used to have no time for him then I got into his quartets played by the Amadeus, fantasticly edgy mercurial stuff, has you laughing one minute and crying the next.
Figaro was a play banned in France poking fun at the aristocracy...

I love the Rachmaninov Vespers I saw it done in St Pauls by a Russian choir just after that terrible school attack, the whole thing was very emotional.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

A one-piece Burns flute? Sounds interesting! I'm sure you will love it. I love my Burns folk flute.

Who made your tulipwood whistle?

I love the minor pentatonic scale. I like to play in it one whistle anf flute, and my new instrument, shakuhachi.
~JessieD
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

JessieK wrote:A one-piece Burns flute? Sounds interesting!

Yep, one-piece no joints, no keys, no sliver, all wood.
JessieK wrote:Who made your tulipwood whistle?
The tulipwood whiste was made by Paul Busman in NY. His whistles are based on the "Thin Weasel" whistles. I like the whiste, but I have problems with it. It needs to be oiled all the time, or it gets very dry...and the finish (or lack of) was not very good and spotty. But it has been about two years... and after constant oiling with Almond oil and coconut oil it is better and sounds better. The voice was "thin" most likely do to it being so dry when it first arrived...but now it has deepened, and (based on a rec. of Burn) I will try the artist grade linseed oil (as he says will give the wood a nice "crisp, hard, shiny" top coat over time). There are not many people who make wooden whistles, and my whistle might just be a "trouble maker"....*rather fitting for a flute player to have a trouble maker whistel....best keep it away from the flutes as it might pick a fight with 'em* :P
“The flute is not an instrument that has a good moral effect; it is too exciting.”

~Aristotle
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Dragon, there are a lot of people who make wooden whistles. Here is a list:

Chris Abell
Jon Swayne
Michael Grinter
Pat O'Dwyer and Aidan MacNamara (Lon Dubh whistle)
Phil Bleazey
Paul Busman
David Boisvert
Erle something (Syn whistles)
Mack Hoover (sometimes wooden whistles)
Ralph Sweet
Glenn Schultz (Thin Weasel)

My favorite is the Lon Dubh. I got it from Whistle and Drum ( http://www.whistleanddrum.com ). It's sweet and rich and not too loud. My second favorite is my beloved Abell Madagascar rosewood whistle. Not all Abells are sweet and unscreechy - I got lucky with mine.

As for the finish on the Busman, you might want to try some very high grade sanding cloth (about six grades that begin where hardware store sandpaper ends). The coursest of this will get rid of the sharpness on the holes and the others will take it to a warm, shiny finish. It's not expensive. I got mine from Rio Grande (800-545-6566). It's their item number # 337-307. Then oil it after that.

Enjoy.

:) Jessie
~JessieD