Must Be the Devil in Me..........

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tom Dowling
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

I can't resist. How many times have you quietly and hopefully tracked a whistle, flute or related item on E-Bay, with the feeble hope that this perhaps rusty, maybe dented, but one-of-a-kind old gem escape the argus-eyed membership of C&F, only to have this hope dashed on the grim rocks of reality when a well intentioned member of this great fellowship "spills the beans" and thereby creates a bidding frenzy, forever removing the item from your economic grasp? (Wow--that may be the longest sentence ever on C&F!)

Sound familiar? Well, as a test to see how voracious our collective whistle acquisition appetite really is, I hereby 'blow the whistle' on and offer up to the die-hard collectors out there the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =852437622

Has anyone ever seen anything like it? Will you ever have a chance to acquire an item like this again? What will it finally go for? Is a world record likely to be set on this item?

For the record--I have no interest in the item or knowledge of the seller.

Good Luck,

Tom D.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Wow~ Never seen anything like that one. The bidding is really low now, but I am sure it will skyrocket - no chance I will grab that little beauty!

:lol:
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I would like to suggest that there be a voluntary database made of people's C&F and ebay names, so the situation described above can be averted (except by particularly cutthroat people). For example, I am a bidder on a tuffbaggs on ebay right now and would rather like to win it!
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

I thought you guys were serious until I looked at the picture. HA! That's too funny. No doubt the seller has no idea that these sell for about $4.95 at the Whistle Shop--is he planning to make a killing on this rarity?!?

dakotamouse
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dakotamouse »

I believe the seller knows exactly what he is doing. As P.T. Barnum said "There is a sucker born every minute." Some people just don't bother to check around for themselves as far as prices and availablilty.
Mary

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a
listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of
which have the potential to turn a life around. -Leo Buscaglia, author
(1924-1998)
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

D'OH and I just bought one in Ireland!

There was me thinking I'd got one of a kind (apart from the other two dozen or so in the shop). Don't I feel a sap now. Egg on face or what?

Still, it's a nice whistle...
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

On 2002-03-27 00:01, Cees wrote:
I thought you guys were serious until I looked at the picture. HA! That's too funny. No doubt the seller has no idea that these sell for about $4.95 at the Whistle Shop--is he planning to make a killing on this rarity?!?

ebay (and auctions in general) can be pretty unpredictable. I check ebay once a week or so and regularly see Clarkes going for 20 dollars or more and other ridiculous prices. There is occasionally that one really good deal, though.

Charlie
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

I think the item is posted in good faith by someone who does not necessarily have our particlular sensibilities about whistle lineages. The point of my original C&F message was to poke a little good-natured fun at myself (and anyone else on whom the shoe might fit)and my/our ongoing desire to find that 'special whistle.'

I will also admit that it is a bit of a letdown when the auction of a genuinely nice old whistle gets publicized on C&F. The result is a bidding frenzy that is probably much appreciated by the sellers. There are times when one might prefer that the real gems stay off the communal radar screen. When I posted the message at 11:00 p.m. (New York Time) last night, the auction had been visited 148 times. It is now about 10 hours later and the auction has received 241 hits. It is not unlikely that the 100+ viewings of the C&F posting are connected to the approximately 100 more hits on the auction posting.

Have a nice day unless you have made other plans,

Tom D.
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

On 2002-03-27 07:34, chas wrote:
There is occasionally that one really good deal, though.

Charlie
I bought 2 of my Overtons on e-bay.
  • Low-D for 125.
  • Mezzo-Soprano A for 100.

So good deals are available.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LeeMarsh (who can't believe in a post of under 25 words he made two spelling errors) on 2002-03-27 09:30 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LeeMarsh on 2002-03-27 09:31 ]</font>
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Way back when, I bought my set of three susatos on ebay. Turned out to be an actual whistle shop listing it (not Thom's whistle shop), and they linked back to their website, so I knew how much the set normally went for. =)
Glengary

Post by Glengary »

I've done my share of selling and buying on e-bay for over two years now. It's like a "swap meet" or "flea market" (depending on your US geography)-that is, sometimes things are very high and sometimes you chance upon a good value. Sometime you see people who are so caught up in the auction process they overpay for the ability to win. In going back to the Ben Franklin adage, hopefully we all don't pay too much for our whistle!
Sorry for the edit but I had to remark that I really liked Tom's post!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Glengary on 2002-03-27 11:53 ]</font>
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Ha- I had to laugh at this because I had just cracked the red plastic head of an F Generation trying to get it unglued during the hot water bath treatment when I checked the Board and saw the photo. Its the second one I wrecked in the last two weeks, the first being a nice Bb.Sorta sad about it but I have another F I can wreck, I mean, tweak. I crazy glue em and they seem to work okay but its kind of sad because that whistle was on a cd I particpated in and I used it onstage at a lot of school assemblies.

If its an F, maybe I'll put in a bid.It MUST be special, its on TV (CRT that is).

This is off of this thread, but part of tweaking for me involved cleaning out the inside of the tube while the head is off. Have any of you noticed that Generations have the inside of their Brass whistles lacquered? They do, I know. It comes off when I swab it through and since I had alcohol on hand anyway, I finished the job and it comes off like cellophane plastic. What long-term effect is has, I don;t know..The whistles always sound weaker after the process and I wonder if its an airleak or what....

I have a friend who actually makes fair money on EBAY. Its a lifestyle really to buy and sell that way but its ubiquitous and here to stay I think.
Cheers to all.
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

Lol, cute!

I've tried to sell some of my less-expensive whistles on ebay. These guys who sell Clarkes for $20.00 must have a deal with a nefarious power..I've never even gotten a bid on my cheapies at under market-price. :smile:
On 2002-03-26 22:54, Tom Dowling wrote:
Sound familiar? Well, as a test to see how voracious our collective whistle acquisition appetite really is, I hereby 'blow the whistle' on and offer up to the die-hard collectors out there the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =852437622
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

To the person who cracked the Gen Bb fipple, don't discard the tube. Go out and get a Clarke Sweetone C if you don't already have one and put its fipple on the Gen tube. You'll be really pleased at the result.

As for eBay, on which my wife buys a lot of stuff, the only defense from the unscrupulous seller is a knowledgable buyer.

I bought many of my better whistles on eBay, at better than average prices. Of course, that was back when only Thom and Mack and Lee had found eBay. Thom and Mack were selling and I was a better sniper than Lee (or just willing to spend a wee bit more). I haven't bought a whistle there in over a year, the last two being a paired Dixon Low D and Silkstone D that everyone seems to have missed because the seller called them 'plastic flutes', or some such thing.

Though I must admit that I almost took a last-second shot at the little high G antique sold there last month...

I, for one, have no objection to sharing my eBay name on this board. Its clary.creek. As for whether it's 'right' or not to post eBay whistle listings here, I freely admit I've done it myself for whistles I didn't personally want or when a real oddity showed up and I wanted to get Thomas Hastay's evaluation of it. It did sorta irk me when one I was tracking was blown by another member, but hey, sauce for the goose and all that.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Thanks for salvage suggestion CC.. Another excuse to check out water damage (and try fancy whistles) at Lark in the Morning asap.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Weekenders on 2002-03-27 17:17 ]</font>