Silly question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pearl grey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Silly question

Post by pearl grey »

Question: do you think whistling skills (in the traditional sense of "just put your lips together and blow" and wolf whistles etc.) help your tin whistling skills develop? I whistle (traditional) ALL the time without noticing, and people tell me I'm good at it. And I do sometimes whistle until my tongue aches. Is that a good sign for the future that I'll have good breath control or emboucher or anything? That would be nice! :D I think traditional mouth-whistling is underrated in the "real" music world. (Although my favorite composer, Benjamin Britten, did have a small part in his "Spring Symphony" for a whistling chorus).
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

There is a small group of people in ITM who practice the type of whistling that you refer to and from what I can recall there used to be a category in competitions for this kind of thing.
I know very little about this subject but I have a funny feeling that Peter Laban would have some knowledge of this.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Darwin

Re: Silly question

Post by Darwin »

pearl grey wrote:Question: do you think whistling skills (in the traditional sense of "just put your lips together and blow" and wolf whistles etc.) help your tin whistling skills develop? I whistle (traditional) ALL the time without noticing, and people tell me I'm good at it. And I do sometimes whistle until my tongue aches. Is that a good sign for the future that I'll have good breath control or emboucher or anything? That would be nice! :D I think traditional mouth-whistling is underrated in the "real" music world. (Although my favorite composer, Benjamin Britten, did have a small part in his "Spring Symphony" for a whistling chorus).
My father used to whistle a lot--especially while driving, and my older son does the same now, but it seems to have passed me by.

I find that the hardest thing for me is to get a tune into my head. Once it's there, playing it is the easy part. (But then I don't play anything fast, so that might be a bit misleading.) Anyhow, if you can whistle a tune, that's at least half the battle. If you can work out variations that way, that should be useful, too. I suspect mouth whistling will also help with breath control.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I certainly hope not, as I can't whistle at all without...well...a whistle.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Redwolf wrote:I certainly hope not, as I can't whistle at all without...well...a whistle.

Redwolf
I hope you don't mind me having this in common with you .....
:D
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Does anyone here do any whistling on your hands? You know, cupping them together and forming an embroshure hole with your thumbs? Anyone even know what I'm talking about?
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Snuh

Post by Snuh »

vomitbunny wrote:Does anyone here do any whistling on your hands? You know, cupping them together and forming an embroshure hole with your thumbs? Anyone even know what I'm talking about?
My uncle is really good at that type of whistling. He used it to do loon calls when we were out camping. He tried to teach me how to do it, but I never quite got that good.

Mouth whistling, on the other hand, I do all the time.

A.J.
pearl grey

Post by pearl grey »

vomitbunny wrote:Does anyone here do any whistling on your hands? You know, cupping them together and forming an embroshure hole with your thumbs? Anyone even know what I'm talking about?
I can blow on a piece of grass between my thumbs... but that's all. I wonder why people don't whistle on their fingers like in the old movies (like Timmy calling Lassie). Actually, it's probably not very sanitary, especially if Lassie has been licking Timmy's hands.
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

My grandfather taught me how to cup my hands together and blow into the hole created by my thumbs. The sound that was produced sounded like a train whistle and the pitch varied depending upon how open or closed the hands were. Is this something like what you're talking about?

The sounds he made could be pretty loud. I had never heard of anyone else doing that sort of thing.

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Will O'B wrote: My grandfather taught me how to cup my hands together and blow into the hole created by my thumbs. The sound that was produced sounded like a train whistle and the pitch varied depending upon how open or closed the hands were. Is this something like what you're talking about?

The sounds he made could be pretty loud. I had never heard of anyone else doing that sort of thing.

Will O'Ban
I learned to do that in high school from a kid...but it was a pretty rare skill..no one else seemed to know how to do it. I would use it to mimic morning bird calls.
lillythepink57

Post by lillythepink57 »

I can whistle with my mouth, I can be pretty good too, but I only ever feel like whistling after playing my euphonium. I whistle the songs I was playing. I can't hand whistle though. My Dad can, but he's not very good at mouth whistling. oh well.
Let's drink, a drink, a drink, to Lilly the Pink, the Pink, the Pink, the saviour of the human race! :) :) :)
lillythepink57

Post by lillythepink57 »

Wanderer wrote: I would use it to mimic morning bird calls.
A kid in my band can mimic sparrows without using his hands. He does it all the time though and it gets really annoying
Let's drink, a drink, a drink, to Lilly the Pink, the Pink, the Pink, the saviour of the human race! :) :) :)
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

lillythepink57 wrote:A kid in my band can mimic sparrows without using his hands. He does it all the time though and it gets really annoying
I imagine I annoyed plenty of folks as well ;)
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

That was very big in one of the Boy Scout troops that I was in. I can only get three notes out of it, and it's a struggle, but I had a friend who could get four or five notes with ease. He could actually play little melodies. (This is the same guy I've mentioned before who could play just about anything on the clarinet from written music, but could hardly play two notes in a row by ear.)

We used to hold our hands about the same way, but with a blade of grass stretched tight between the thumb joints, serving as a reed. A stiff, wide-bladed grass, like St. Augustine is best. Kentucky bluegrass doesn't work so well.

With the right kind of plastic sheet or cellophane, I can play simple melodies by blowing against the edge and stretching it to get the notes.

My sister could do the fingers-in-the-corners-of-the-mouth whistle high enough and loud enough to crack your teeth and pop your eyeballs. I've never gotten anything resembling a whistle with that one, though she put in quite a bit of time trying to teach me.

When I was about 5, I had a red plastic whistle, shaped like a bird, with the windway in the tail feathers and the blade in its back. You put a little water into it, and it produced a nice burbling sound when you blew it.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

dubhlinn wrote: I know very little about this subject but I have a funny feeling that Peter Laban would have some knowledge of this.

Slan,
D.
Why's that now?

I know little about this, recently though in the come West Along the Road series there was a bit of old footage from the 70s of the All ireland mouth whistling competitions. It showed a very young Siobhan ni Chonarain , now more welknown as a fluteplayer, in full seventies attire with big glasses and big hair. Which for those who know her was good for a bit of a giggle. She was very good.
I have come across several people who never learned to play an instrument but 'had the music in their head' who whistled lovely. The late Martin Rochford was very good at it too if he needed to bring out a tune.
I suppose being able to whistle spot on says something about the musicality of the person doing it, it will develop your ear but will not help your mechanical control of the instrument.