(Sorta OT) Did anyone see the Oscars?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sara
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sara »

Did anyone see the performance by Paul McCartney? He did a song called "Vanilla Sky", for the movie "Vanilla Sky". It was just him singing with a guitar and a PENNYWHISTLE! It was a Generation with a green fipple - it was so wizard for me to see the instrument I play accompanying Paul McCartney - WOW! :cool: I was just wondering if anyone else saw this.

Peace and creativity,
Sara
Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.

You can't hear the truth over your own lawnmower, man!
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Hi Sara,

You may have solved the mystery of the Green Headed Whistle:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... &forum=1&5
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

Unfortunately, I endured the entire show (my kids held out to see the results of Best Picture--they were pulling for LOTR:FOTR).

The whistle was a bright spot in an otherwise very dull program. Even Whoopie was off her game!
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.
Sara

Post by Sara »

Wow - I solved the mystery? You mean I'm right, it was a Generation? Cool! :smile: The last note of the song on the whistle was so cool. I wonder if Paul McCartney was the one who decided the whistle would sound nice in that song?

My parents and I watched the whole show too - except for Paul McCartney's performance and Robert Redford, the show stunk! I thought Robert Redford gave such a good speech! Did you see Halle Barry's acceptance speech? She made a total dork of herself, I'd be so embarrassed to get up in front of a billion people and cry like she did. What did you guys think of it?

Peace and creativity,
Sara

mimi

Post by mimi »

On 2002-03-25 21:11, Sara wrote:
Did you see Halle Barry's acceptance speech? She made a total dork of herself, I'd be so embarrassed to get up in front of a billion people and cry like she did. What did you guys think of it?

Personally, I was very moved when I watched Halle Berry win best actress of the year. She is the first black woman in the world ever to win that award! If I were her, I would be crying just as much. It was a wonderful honor for her and I don't think she overdid it at all. She almost had me crying. I am very happy for her and I think she deserved it. I guess everyone has different opinions...and that is okay.

~Mimi
Cees
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

I completely agree with you, Mimi.
Pywacket

Post by Pywacket »

Once again we have seen the stupidity of the members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Mind you, there is no bigger fan of Denzel Washington than myself. But, there is no way Denzel deserved an Oscar against Russell Crow this year. Denzel should have been awarded an Oscar a long time ago, for such projects as "Philadelphia", "Glory", or even "Malcom X". As far as I am concerned, Denzel's receiving the Oscar was merely a token. It is about time the Academy owned up by giving him the Oscar, but this wasn't the time or the movie. I hope this will be the beginning of fair voting by the Academy.

Craig
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Surely Denzel Washington <i>was</i> awarded a "Best Supporting Actor" oscar for his performance in <b>Glory</b>...

:smile:
Jens
Nubby

Post by Nubby »

First, Halle Barry, I was moved at her emotion in the begining. It seemed genuine. Then she went on to compose herself in an instant and remembered to thank every lawyer in the greater Holliwood area and preach to us about how it has been 74 years coming. I think that the greatest tragedy is that African American actresses havn't been given Oscar worthy roles. That is why it has taken so long. In watching her speech I was reminded that she IS an actress, but good on her, all the same.

Now, from what I've seen and heard (I havn't seen aither movie) Russel Crowe was amazing in A Beautiful Mind. I am always impressed when an actor can do movies where the roles are so different. I thought he was great in Gladiator. But this is a subjective vote. Just like in political elections, many factors go into the decision. Denzel should have won before, perhaps. Russel Crowe is getting too big for even his own ego, perhaps.
It's like figure skating. Winning or loosing doesn't necessarily make you the best or scecond best. It just means you were more popular when the vote was take or the judging done.
ImageImage
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

First, Denzel Washington took the best supporting actor Oscar for Glory in 1989,

As to the over-hyped Kiwi, while Crowe may have not won for a fine performance this year, just remember that LAST year he DID win for a so-so performance in the most historically inaccurate mishmash since Errol Flynn did "Custer's Last Stand". What goes around comes around.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
Sara

Post by Sara »

On 2002-03-25 22:02, mimi wrote:
On 2002-03-25 21:11, Sara wrote:
Did you see Halle Barry's acceptance speech? She made a total dork of herself, I'd be so embarrassed to get up in front of a billion people and cry like she did. What did you guys think of it?

Personally, I was very moved when I watched Halle Berry win best actress of the year. She is the first black woman in the world ever to win that award! If I were her, I would be crying just as much. It was a wonderful honor for her and I don't think she overdid it at all. She almost had me crying. I am very happy for her and I think she deserved it. I guess everyone has different opinions...and that is okay.

~Mimi

I just wanted to say, I hope I didn't offend anyone. I'm not saying she didn't deserve the award - I haven't seen any of her movies all the way through, but I've seen little clips, and she seems like a pretty good actress. I just think she over-did it a bit in her speech. Heck, if I won an Oscar, or better yet, a Grammy, I'd be crying too! I just wanted to apologize if I offended anyone!

Peace and creativity,
Sara

dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

Halle Barry and Denzel Washington are fantastic actors. I haven't seen either movie yet that they won for but I'm sure their performances were great. These award thingys are really political. I have no doubt that Denzel Washington should have won for an earlier performance but there is a lot of politics in these awards. Last year Steely Dan won a Grammy for best album, "Two Against Nature". Good album but not their best. I'd go with "Aja" from years past. But I believe the Grammys were trying to right a wrong by giving them the award now. Also they were avoiding the controversy around that rapper, ahhhm Slim Shady, Marshal Mathers oh heck if I remember I'm not into rap. But then could be this pineapple martini I'm sucking on.

the intoxicated mouse from North Dakota
Mary

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a
listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of
which have the potential to turn a life around. -Leo Buscaglia, author
(1924-1998)