Whistle Pop.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TomB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Whistle Pop.

Post by TomB »

Stine wrote:Okay, so one day my little brother-tyke comes home. And what does he have. BUT. A Whistle Pop, he tells me. So it's this little three, four inch (not counting the slidestick) piece of candy, with a fipple-head type thing.
It's not a penny-/tin type of whistle, more of a slide whistle. You blow into the hollow, shaped piece of candy, the stick is a slide that lets you change the notes. It actually doesn't sound too bad, it has a smoky type of sound...though honestly, the slurping drippy noises is slightly off-putting. I played Mary Had a Little Lamb on it before my brother demanded it back to devour.

It'd be odd if they actually made a tinwhistle pop... It wouldn't be practical for the body to be made of candy, sticky fingers and all...but I guess if the head was the only thing that was candy, it would be too little. HMM.

Your thoughts?

Edit: He just chomped off the head. I feel a vague sense of loss.

My thoughts are it would have been more odd had your little brother came home with "Whistler's Mother"

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

the kid catcher guy WAS very scary looking. I don't blame you for repressing the memories
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

As a kid, I loved Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (I wanted the car), but I didn't realize until a couple of years ago that the toy-maker was Benny Hill. :oops:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

jsluder wrote:As a kid, I loved Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (I wanted the car), but I didn't realize until a couple of years ago that the toy-maker was Benny Hill. :oops:
I know, I figured that out in recent years too. you kind half expect Truly to strip down to her skivvies and then Beny start chasing her around with goofy music in the background
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

That "goofy music" was the great classic "Yakety Sax" by the legendary Boots Randolph.

Happy Birthday Boots!!!!!

Never could stand the Benny Hill show.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

geek4music wrote:Never could stand the Benny Hill show.
I think the only reason it made it in this country was because of all the sexy girls on it.

(is sexy a swear word?)
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

emmline wrote:You're right! I think I was so freaked by the "kid catcher" when I was little, (who, btw, did not exist in the book, I don't believe,) that I've repressed the memory.
I read the book, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, as a child, and enjoyed it, however, when the movie came on television, it was such that I didn't even attempt to sit through it.
Reasonable person
Walden
emmline

Post by emmline »

The movie was not well reviewed critically at the time of its release, and I think it is overly long, clunky, and undelightful relative to the book, but I was a simple enough kid to enjoy the Hollywood razzle-dazzle, and not notice such things as charm and deftness of directorial touch.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I think I "resolved" that problem by just not reading the book beforehand. To tell you the truth, I am not even sure I knew there ever WAS a book!!! :oops: How is THAT for simple!
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
emmline

Post by emmline »

NorCalMusician wrote:I think I "resolved" that problem by just not reading the book beforehand. To tell you the truth, I am not even sure I knew there ever WAS a book!!! :oops: How is THAT for simple!
Well, now you know, and it's a great trivia question too, since not everyone realizes that Ian Fleming wrote a children's book.
Stine

Post by Stine »

While admittedly I have no idea what you're talking about on the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang subject...

Avanutria, for playing on a candy whistle, that was very impressive. Wow.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

I knew about Ian Fleming,but Benny Hill being involved..now that's news to me!
Poor old Benny died a lonely death and left behind a long disputed fortune. His humor,what there was of it, was a very English thing although I do remember reading somewhere that long after his show was finished in England,it became a huge hit on American Cable T.V.

Their was also some problem with royalties,if I remember well, but then again the Benny Hill Show did introduce us to the delightful Daphne from "Frazier", a big T.V. show from across the pond.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

geek4music wrote:That "goofy music" was the great classic "Yakety Sax" by the legendary Boots Randolph.

Happy Birthday Boots!!!!!
Sometimes he ran around to a 5-string banjo tune, played by Keith Nelson, who went to a friend's wedding, I think it was, in England in 1967, and never did come back to live in California. Keith once said that long after the show had gone off the air in the UK, he was still getting residuals from PBS re-broadcasts.
Never could stand the Benny Hill show.
:o Amazing!!! :boggle: It was the epitome of British comedy, I'm sure.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe