Missionary Converts Lions To Christianity

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

poor guy is probably schizophrenic, caught in his delirium.
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

burnsbyrne wrote:Trying to evangelize lions is akin to trying to teach a pig to sing - it frustrates you and it annoys the pig.
Mike
:lol:
you mean like...annoys, anoints, anoinks?
Will O'B wrote:When asked what his favorite thing was about Christianity, he [Ghandi] replied, "Christ." When asked what his least favorite thing was about Christianity he replied, "Christians."
That reminds me of a fellow who use to travel to Montreal every summer to convert Rabbis to Christianity. He asked one Rabbi what he thought about Christ and he replied, "when I read about Christ, I think he was a good man." And when asked about Christians he replied, "when I read about Christians, I feel sorry for Christ."
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Lorenzo wrote:...And when asked about Christians he replied, "when I read about Christians, I feel sorry for Christ."
Reminds me of one of my favorite entries from <a href="http://www.online-literature.com/bierce ... onary">The Devil's Dictionary</a>:
Ambrose Bierce wrote: CHRISTIAN, n. One who believes that the New Testament is a divinely inspired
book admirably suited to the spiritual needs of his neighbor. One who follows the
teachings of Christ in so far as they are not inconsistent with a life of sin.

I dreamed I stood upon a hill, and, lo!
The godly multitudes walked to and fro
Beneath, in Sabbath garments fitly clad,
With pious mien, appropriately sad,
While all the church bells made a solemn din --
A fire-alarm to those who lived in sin.
Then saw I gazing thoughtfully below,
With tranquil face, upon that holy show
A tall, spare figure in a robe of white,
Whose eyes diffused a melancholy light.
"God keep you, strange," I exclaimed. "You are
No doubt (your habit shows it) from afar;
And yet I entertain the hope that you,
Like these good people, are a Christian too."
He raised his eyes and with a look so stern
It made me with a thousand blushes burn
Replied -- his manner with disdain was spiced:
"What! I a Christian? No, indeed! I'm Christ."
G.J.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I don't think Bierce was all there frankly. Either he was already on the edge or his US Civil War experiences drove him over. I love most of his work though. My favorite is "Incident at Owl Creek". Great short story.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

geek4music wrote:I don't think Bierce was all there frankly. Either he was already on the edge or his US Civil War experiences drove him over. I love most of his work though. My favorite is "Incident at Owl Creek". Great short story.
The one about the soldier being hung? I loved that story. Thank you for reminding me of
the name, I'd been meaning to read it again. Nice twist at the end.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

What an Idiot.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Unseen122 wrote:What an Idiot.
Hey! Aren't people free to try and convert whomever they want?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Lorenzo wrote:
Unseen122 wrote:What an Idiot.
Hey! Aren't people free to try and convert whomever they want?
Sure. I'm free to jump into a passle of lions and harangue them. I'm free to drink until my liver splits open. Does that freedom unmake me an idiot?
glauber

Post by glauber »

I'm sure that guy was insane. He did a lot more than trying to convert the lions, it seems. I think he started playing "bullfighter" with his suit jacket.

Thinking about it, i wonder if it was a "creative" way to commit suicide. Maybe he just wanted out.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

glauber wrote:I'm sure that guy was insane. He did a lot more than trying to convert the lions, it seems. I think he started playing "bullfighter" with his suit jacket.

Thinking about it, i wonder if it was a "creative" way to commit suicide. Maybe he just wanted out.
You're probably right, there. It's all very easy for me to go about name-calling; aside from growing up in close association with institutionalised mental patients (one of my parents being an occupational therapist for some years) and knowing the suffering they endured, in my adolescence I skirted the edge of schizoprenia myself. Fortunately by my 30s I was able to drag myself out, and sometimes forget that others may not have that option.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Nanohedron wrote:I'm free to jump into a passle of lions and harangue them. I'm free to drink until my liver splits open. Does that freedom unmake me an idiot?
Why, no! And as a potential parallel, if someone were to try and sell their brand of Christianity to an Islamic faction, let's say in the heart of Fallujah, and ends up with a slit throat, what would that make them? Or unmake them? Christ sent out the disciples with the promise that no harm would come to them...

Matthew 10:16 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Mark 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them;
emmline

Post by emmline »

Lorenzo wrote: Christ sent out the disciples with the promise that no harm would come to them...

Matthew 10:16 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Mark 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them;
Then how come they got beat up, thrown in jail, skewered, etc?
perhaps, they, or we, misinterpreted something.
(oops...maybe this is the wrong thread?)

(fixed my quotes)
Last edited by emmline on Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Nanohedron wrote:sometimes forget that others may not have that option.
I think I've posted this link before: Farewell to Yonkerdu.

It's beginning of a novel (the first of eight chapters) by an old college friend, Tom McClellan, who has been institutionalized quite a few times, and is writing from experience.

It's been about 38 years since we last saw one another, and I'm looking forward to seeing him again when we move to Dallas.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Lorenzo wrote:Hey! Aren't people free to try and convert whomever they want?
"Teacher says, every time a lion's soul is saved, a cherub gets his wings."

Reasonable person
Walden
Jim Wright

Christian lion

Post by Jim Wright »

Have it on good .. well not bad .. but not really all that good .. authority that the lions were Christians. They did say grace before partaking of their lunch. :boggle:

Jim