Scatological...and sometimes salacious

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Will O'B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

susnfx wrote:Then I got religion and quit swearing.
I don't think that, for me at least, it's a matter of religion as much as it is a matter of just plain old fashioned respect. Respect for yourself, respect for the language that you use and respect for the package that you present to the world. Then of course there's showing respect for the other person by not dragging them into the sewer with you if that's not where they care to be.

Swear words may be great for their shock value if you are trying to get your audience's attention at the beginning of a speech or at the beginning of an advertisement or commercial. Chances are, however, that after getting their attention such a tactic would only serve to alienate many of the people that you are wanting to respond positively to the rest of your message.

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Let's see, fearfaoin....I was trying to make changes in my life. In my 20s I was pretty much a useless waste of skin and air...alcoholic...profane... well, not the kind of girl you'd want your son to date. When I saw the error of my ways and realized that I could be a lot happier OUT of the gutter, I tried to be the best person I could be, and that included respect for others and respect for myself (as Will said). It would have been inconceivable for me to stop drinking but keep talking like I did. The profanity was part of an entire package I was trying to overcome.

Susan
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Will O'B wrote:Then of course there's showing respect for the other person by not dragging them into the sewer with you if that's not where they care to be.
That's my chief motivation. There's nothing I would gain from it that could possibly make up for the discomfort it might cause others, so why do it?

Besides, I prefer the swear words I learned from Pogo: "bling-blanged", "blag-staggin'", "dag-blagged", "bazz fazz", etc.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
alespa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

and might I add to what Darwin just said . . . that using silly or goofy or wacky word combos like what he just said, can have an effect of lifting your demeanor when saying??
emmline

Post by emmline »

Ok. well. Neat trick.
(it said I was a bandwidth thief, I totally plead ignorance, which, I realize is not a valid defense.)
But I didn't mean to be.
It was a nice picture, really. And they didn't give me any sort of warning.
Last edited by emmline on Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Yikes! They caught you, emm. :o
emmline

Post by emmline »

Cripes! I've never heard of that before.

How about this one...

(no bandwidth stealing here...takes me a while, but I catch on.)
Last edited by emmline on Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

emmline wrote:How about this one...
I Go Pogo is certainly one of the best collections.

Another favorite of mine is Prisoner of Love, which is the only one I own at the moment. I'm now considering shelving the WhOA and buying all the Pogo books I can find. I can spend my spare time reading them, instead of on the political threads, and still have more time left over for playing music. (And, shouldn't 16 high D's be enough for someone who can't play even one jig or reel?)

Here's one of my favorite quotes:

Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

susnfx wrote:Let's see, fearfaoin....I was trying to make changes in my life.
Oh, so it coincided with your finding of religion. OK. I thought you meant something witihin
the religious structure commanded cessation of dirty wordage.

Some Southern Baptists with whom I went to high school used to say "Don't cuss around
me, I'm a Christian". I would certainly respect their wishes, but no one could give me a
good answer to why swearing and Christianity are completely incompatible... There is no
direct command that I could ever find for not swearing... Jesus used plenty of (what would
have been considered at the time) harsh language with the temple money changers, as
was pertinant to the situation. I was probably missing something, but no one ever told me
what...

I had to cut down on swearing because it had pervaded my everyday speech by the end
of college, and this was very unprofessional behavior for work. I think my father stopped
when I came along (I'm the oldest) because I was repeating things at church picnics.
(Kids are funny like that.) So, I guess we all have our reasons.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

For whatever reason Susnfx pulled herself out of the mire I applaud her.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

No applause necessary, but the thought is appreciated.

Susan
rodfish

Post by rodfish »

fearfaoin wrote: Some Southern Baptists with whom I went to high school used to say "Don't cuss around
me, I'm a Christian". I would certainly respect their wishes, but no one could give me a
good answer to why swearing and Christianity are completely incompatible... There is no
direct command that I could ever find for not swearing... Jesus used plenty of (what would
have been considered at the time) harsh language with the temple money changers, as
was pertinant to the situation. I was probably missing something, but no one ever told me
what...
One of the great truths of the New Testament, is that the Christian is indwelt by the Holy Spirit of God. (1st Corinthians 3:16 & 6:19). Thus the believer is to live a life that is led by and reflects the influence of the Holy Spirit.
And the Bible does indicate that cursing is a sin. Psalm 59:12 & 109:17-18. The conclusion being that the Christian should avoid that type of speech.
As far as the Lord Jesus Christ using "strong" language, He certainly did, on several occasions, but by no means would it have been then or now interpreted as "foul."

Rod
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."