Missionary Converts Lions To Christianity

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Missionary Converts Lions To Christianity

Post by Lorenzo »

A man was attacked and injured after jumping into a lion's den at the Taipei Zoo and trying to convert the lions to Christianity.

The 46-year-old man leaped into the den of African lions and shouted "Jesus will save you," according to the report. He also said, "Come bite me" before one of the male lions attacked and bit the man. -story

I wonder if there is a parallel, or a greater political implication here, in the attempt to save the world.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

Reckon why this never occurred to the early Roman Christians? Quite the spectacle. All the crowds with their thumbs out and shouting, and the Christian with his water there, baptizing the lions.
Reasonable person
Walden
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

"Missionary Exposes Lions to Inanity"

Well, the lions paid attention to him, anyway...
Darwin

Re: OT: Missionary Converts Lions To Christianity

Post by Darwin »

Lorenzo wrote:A man was attacked and injured after jumping into a lion's den at the Taipei Zoo and trying to convert the lions to Christianity.

The 46-year-old man leaped into the den of African lions and shouted "Jesus will save you," according to the report.
I couldn't find any Chinese-language reports on Google, but, from the English, this just looks like really bad theology, if he was claiming that lions are subject to salvation. No wonder they beat him up.

Was he inspired by the story of Daniel? Or, maybe he had just been to see Androcles and the Lion and missed the point about the thorn? (The 1952 movie was one of my favorites as a kid.)
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Darwin, I never did a search for other perspectives, but just Googled and found this. Now I'm very disturbed by the potential parallels and even deeper implication. Check out these hilarious headlines.

Mentally disordered man jumps into lion's pit

A man who suffers from a mental disorder jumped into the lion¡¦s pit at the Taipei City Zoo on Wednesday. The forty-six-year-old intentionally provoked the lion by waving his jacket like a bullfighter. The aggravated tiger then attacked the man, but he was saved eventually after the zoo staff anesthetized the tiger with rifle shot.

¡§Come out or you will die,¡¨ shouted one visitor warning the man.The man, dressed in a white shirt and black pants, first began provoking the big cat while standing outside the lion¡¦s pit. At first, the lions didn¡¦t pay much attention to the man. But when he began waving his jacket at the ferocious animal, the lion finally jumped and attacked the man.

¡§ What is that guy doing, so scary I can¡¦t watch this. Let¡¦s go get help from the zoo staff,¡¨ said another visitor passing by. Visitors walking by were all petrified at the man¡¦s action. The lion left teeth marks on the man¡¦s arm and left leg, but the man still did not stop aggravating the big cat. He began to mumble prayers to the lion with both arms open wide. Almost seems as if he was trying to imitate Daniel in the Den from the bible.

This visitor used his jacket to provoke our lions. Our lions did bite him, but after the lion took away his jacket the lions also left him alone,¡¨ said one zoo staff. The incident happened around 11:30 in the morning. The zoo staff called the police immediately for assistance, as the lion had not yet been fed, and they were afraid that it might devour the man. The police mobilized a team with loaded rifles, and the fire department was also standing by with fire trucks.

Despite the warning signs in the African Animal Area, which are clearly labeled ¡§the lion¡¦s pit¡¨ the man just climbed the two-story high concrete wall and jumped down into the animal¡¦s home. Luckily, he suffered only minor bite wounds, unlike the innocent lions, who were anesthetized and quarantined. The lions will leave their display area temporarily for health checks, so as to make sure that they will not suffer any after-effects of the drugs.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

The lion's body language is clearly saying, "Get away from me, you lunatic."
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

I don't believe Christian theology assigns a need for redemption to animals. Isn't the need the exclusive province of humanity?
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

brianormond wrote:I don't believe Christian theology assigns a need for redemption to animals. Isn't the need the exclusive province of humanity?
Both humans and animals posess souls, but only the human soul is immortal and actually "goes somewhere" after death. The animal soul (being mortal) just ceases to be, rendering it useless to attempt to "save" it.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
alespa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Re: OT: Missionary Converts Lions To Christianity

Post by alespa »

Darwin wrote: Androcles and the Lion and missed the point about the thorn? (The 1952 movie was one of my favorites as a kid.)
was one of my favs too . . . I actually still have the LP recording of the story told by one of those guys that did the Disney voice, Sterling Holloway, or something like that?
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

A group of missionaries were travaling through the jungles, when their guide stopped in horror, at an approaching group of tribesmen.

"What's wrong?" asked one of the missionaries.

"This is a notorious cannibalistic tribe," replied the guide.

"Well," said the Missionary, "I'm not worried... see... they're Christians... they're praying!"

The guide, still quite horrified, responded, "They're saying, 'We thank Thee, Lord, for this meal which we are about to receive.'"
Reasonable person
Walden
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

....Longpork....the other...other white meat.
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

izzarina wrote: The animal soul (being mortal) just ceases to be, rendering it useless to attempt to "save" it.
The animal kingdom seems to get all the breaks. . .

There's no real connection here, but the thread brings to mind what Ghandi had to say during an interview. When asked what his favorite thing was about Christianity, he replied, "Christ." When asked what his least favorite thing was about Christianity he replied, "Christians."

Then there was the Incan, Mayan or Aztec leader (I don't remember which one exactly) who chose being put to death by the Spanish over being baptized (saved?) and spending eternity in heaven. When asked why he was choosing to die, he replied, "Would not heaven be full of people like you?"

I wish I had known of those two stories back in Catholic school. The nuns would have gotten a kick out of them . . . as I'm sure my rear end would have also. :D (For those of you who don't understand my comment about the nuns, let's just say that during the '60s some were not exactly known for being gentle creatures.)

Will O'Ban
Last edited by Will O'B on Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Speaking of souls, nuns and the '60s, I recall the nuns saying there was a man back then who was offering quite a sum of money (in the millions) to anyone who could prove without a doubt that he had a soul. All of you philosophers and theologians out there may want to consider this offer if you're looking to make a few extra bucks.

The only thing is . . . that offer may no longer stand, as his soul may have since gone on to a better place.

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Trying to evangelize lions is akin to trying to teach a pig to sing - it frustrates you and it annoys the pig.
Mike
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

what a fool...