which are the loudest flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Berti66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

which are the loudest flutes?

Post by Berti66 »

I am still out into the world of flutes and adventures abound, long ways to go still.
Currently I play most on my tipple eight holed flute which is the loudest I have (dixon 3 piece D poly and the tallgrass Eb).
Can you tell me which other flutes do have more volume/ are louder.
I don't need to play in sessions yet I would just like to know / try those.

I have a clue the Hamilton's are on this "louder flutes" list?
Which others?

thanks
berti
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Seerys have plenty of volume.

Eric
I.D.10-t

Manufacturer

Post by I.D.10-t »

I would say that no matter what flute you decide on in the future, that you talk to the manufacturer to see if they can change the embouchure and hole sizes to match the flutes intended use. They may already have a flute designed for this. I know Skip Healy does this with his fifes at least. One thing about changing the holes is that the spread of the holes may become more difficult to reach.

May be a better question is which model of flute is the loudest.

Remember that just because a flute can play loudly, does not mean that it can do so easily in tune. Good luck.

When the piccolo player makes a mistake, every one knows it.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Seery's are loud. Copleys are louder, at least they carry
farther. I have an Olwell unlined boxwood that carries
about as far.
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

I agree with Jim. Seery is loud, Copley louder.

But my new Hamilton is A WAY louder than these two.

A way!

I can blow almost as strong as my body can, and it still keep its note.

A canon.
spittle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

My J. Gallagher Pratten is very loud as well. I swear after I blow a very hard note, I can hear a sort of tinny resonance from floor registers or other thin metal objects near me.

Of course, the 'tinny resonance' may be the empty space between my ears.

I'd be interested to see actual decibel readings from various flutes played side-by-side by an experienced player who could maximize each flute's potential. Probably like the type of timber deciding a flute's tone - the true volume might not vary as much as we'd think between Rudalls, Prattens, etc.

Cheers,
-r
Juan Pablo Plata

Post by Juan Pablo Plata »

Hey!! Do you know the new fashion in irish flute music? I do, and now I´m the coolest and most heard "musician" at home!! Now the next level in volume is mine... volume... haha...I´d always desired it... my precious trumpet, nothing compares to you... oh, no!, you have discovered my secret!
Paul Thomas

Post by Paul Thomas »

spittle wrote:I'd be interested to see actual decibel readings from various flutes played side-by-side by an experienced player who could maximize each flute's potential.
I suspect that there is a significant difference between a single measured aspect such as decibels/SPL, and perceived loudness. While there are certainly flutes which lend themselves to "louder" playing than others, and there is a lot to be said for anecdotal evidence of several generations of players within one style, factors such as the strength of various partials, the context (venue and other instruments creating the aesthetic background), and the (for lack of a better phrase) "performance energy" of the player will have a strong effect on perceived loudness--which might not jive with the measured dB.

Speaker manufacturers frequently submit their equipment to "shootouts" where objective measurements are taken, but also the subjective judgement of acknowledged experts is taken into account.

All a rather verbose way of saying: YMMV and the consensus of a group such as this will probably provide good guidance.

Paul
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

Ok thanks for the replies.........now I have an idea of what I should look for to try out first
If I am right the line up is as follows, loudest first: hammy, copley/ olwell, seery.

Would be interesting indeed to see a db comparision on flutes while being played........ any takers???

Greetings
berti
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Hi Berti,
I would have to say that Terry Mcgee's Pratten flute is the loudest flute that I have ever played. I didn't check the db on it but you almost need ear protection when playing! :D
The flute was one of Eilam's famous colletion, as you may know Eilam has a nice collection... Maybe he can check the db on it. By far the nicest flute was his Rudell & Rose! :boggle:
Jon
eilam

Post by eilam »

Jon makes some loud flutes himself,
some modeled after Pratten and some after R&R,
I'm a R&R kind of guy, but that McGee is the loudest flute I have ever played.
If anyone is looking for a 6 keyed Pratten, I need to sell some of my flutes, and stick to one or two (not 15!), I just can't get myself to list it on ebay.
smoro

Post by smoro »

I would ask better:
Who are the loudest players?
I mean that I've seen some players getting an incredible volumen in any kind of flute, because they know how to do that, if the flute is well designed, being Rudal type, Pratten type or whatever. The most loudest sound I've heard was in a Murray. Then the player take my Wilkes and the sound was incredible again. It's the player, not only the flute.
Regards.
Serafin.
smoro

Post by smoro »

I would ask better:
I mean that I've seen some players getting an incredible volumen in any kind of flute, because they know how to do that, if the flute is well designed, being Rudal type, Pratten type or whatever. The most loudest sound I've heard was in a Murray. Then the player take my Wilkes and the sound was incredible again. It's the player, not only the flute.
Regards.
Serafin.
smoro

Post by smoro »

I would ask better:
Regards.
Serafin.
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

the loudest flute I 've ever heard is the Hamilton 5keys owns by davy McGuire...It's simply incredible! also an antique T. Prowse has a lot of volume but just talking of new makers, if you want an irish session flute, just buy an Hammy

Frank