update on the kitchen, life, and such

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

update on the kitchen, life, and such

Post by Tyghress »

. . .the kitchen first. It is lovely, everything I wanted in a new room. If you're interested, please click

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/win_n_amy ... BBEmZ6lT4G

and yesterday I had the utter delight of the first kitchen session. One mando, one (other) whistle, a flute, a guitar and me. It was laid back and fun, and will be repeated as often as our lives allow. Aside from music, there was mulled cider and beer, a bit of gossip, and some laughs. I couldn't ask for a better Sunday afternoon.

I'm slowly divesting myself of unplayed whistles, and working up to letting go of the O'Riordans. Keeping the Abells, Grinter, Busman and one Sweetheart. Did I mention that I still love wood?

Depression has cut down on much of life (again), but there is still the music, and there is knitting (my newest passion and eater of time) and the birds. Oh, there is a new bird, Thelonious, a monk parakeet (don't blame me, I didn't name him) who now brings the flock up to 4. He tolerates the music well, and is a grand, sleek bird with a devil look to his eye. I found myself spending more time on the computer reading about my life passions that I was actually doing them, so I've been away from the keyboard much more recently.

Lastly, I'm heading 'into the shop' as my mother-in-law used to say, to have a bit of a lump or two removed. I'm alternately freaked to the core of my soul, and utterly nonchalant about the whole thing. Next Monday the deed will be done, and I hope to have the biopsy shortly thereafter.

Latest tunes: Brides Favorite -----> Knights of St. Patrick
Foxhunters Reel
Boys of Malin (not likely ever to come up to session speed, but I try!)

Hope all is well with everyone. . .
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Glad to hear from you! Kitchen's pretty! Arts&Crafts light fixtures. Plus, that has got to be the coolest retro bulldozer I've ever seen.
Hope you're enjoying it all.
As for the health stuff. Yeah. Life does that stuff, and people get through it, impressing the heck out of me in the process.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Hey Tyghress!

Thanks for the update, and best of luck witht the biopsy.
scottielvr

Re: OT: update on the kitchen, life, and such

Post by scottielvr »

Tyghress wrote:. . .the kitchen first. It is lovely, everything I wanted in a new room.
Thanks for posting this...I'm insane enough to be contemplating wading into such a task, although as a major remodel, not new construction. So your slideshow is inspiring... my hat's off to you. Bravely done. I particularly like the backsplash. Is it tumbled marble? I'm okay with cutting ceramic tile, but other materials, like that, are a bit intimidating. Also, what material did you choose for your countertop?
I'm alternately freaked to the core of my soul, and utterly nonchalant about the whole thing. Next Monday the deed will be done, and I hope to have the biopsy shortly thereafter.
I wish I could say something more concretely helpful than that I can relate.. Once the facts are known, one can carry on with anything that's necessary; but the not knowing is surely maddening. My best wishes to you for swift resolution and a positive outcome. Hang in there.
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Tyghress, I can't decide which I'm more in love with-- your countertop or your parrot! :) What a gorgeous birdie-baby!! The kitchen looks beautiful, and it's wonderful that it's already been christened with music and laughter. May there be many more wonderful moments within those walls!!

As for the biopsy, I hope all goes well and send best wishes your way. Take good care of you!!

~A
carrie

Post by carrie »

That kitchen session sounds wonderful. Hope everyone's lives allow frequent repeats.

All the best, Tyghress!

Carol
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

What a gorgeous kitchen!!! I've been wanting to redo mine as well...it looks like so much work! But at least it seems it was worth the effort :) Ah to be able to have a kitchen session! Perhaps someday...
I pray all goes well with your biopsy, and that the results are good. I know how hard it can be to not know....as scottie said, hang in there.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: OT: update on the kitchen, life, and such

Post by brewerpaul »

Tyghress wrote:. . Lastly, I'm heading 'into the shop' as my mother-in-law used to say, to have a bit of a lump or two removed. I'm alternately freaked to the core of my soul, and utterly nonchalant about the whole thing. Next Monday the deed will be done, and I hope to have the biopsy shortly thereafter.
You'll be in our prayers, Tyg. Char and I both send our love and best wishes. Paul
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Love the kitchen. Especially the lighting. We will be doing major restoration to our old Craftsman house next spring. I can't wait. Maybe I'll get to have some cabinets in the kitchen(now only a few in the pantry).

Anyone thinking of working on a bungalow, or other type old house can find a wealth of info on this site's forum. If you can think of it, someone will have already done it there.

http://americanbungalowmagazine.com/ubb ... hreads.php?

Best of luck to you with the biopsy. I've gone through similar things over the past couple of years and it is truly nerve wracking.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

That looks great. I bet your whistles sound good there, too. We have granite countertops, and I think they have something to do with the sort of reverb I get out of all my whistles in the kitchen. Maybe the complex shapes of the hard-surfaced cabinets contribute, too. It's really the best sounding room in our house.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Darwin wrote:That looks great. I bet your whistles sound good there, too. We have granite countertops, and I think they have something to do with the sort of reverb I get out of all my whistles in the kitchen. Maybe the complex shapes of the hard-surfaced cabinets contribute, too. It's really the best sounding room in our house.
Funny-- I test whistles in the kitchen too! In my case, I stand facing a double sliding glass door, which reflects the sound really nicely. My shop is acoustically dead.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Brewster

Post by Brewster »

Nice work on the kitchen. I especially like the counters. Whenever I get around to re-doing my kitchen, I'll think about granite or butcher block. Can't make up my mind which I like more--but the question is moot as I can afford neither right now!

I wish you peace as you undergo your medical tests.

B
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

hi Tyghress, thanks for posting the photos. You got a nice kitchen, I bet you could make 1st class cookies in there ;)
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

Hi Tyghress,

Very nice kitchen. I know you waited along time for it to get done. It was worth the wait. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

I will be praying for you as you go through this lump thing. Best wishes!

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hi Tyghress. your kitchen came out fantastic. What a huge project. I'll bet it was fun. I love your blue and gold. I had one before I got married but she really hated my wife. She (Yoshi) would scream at my wife all day, etc. It got pretty bad. We gave it about a year and I ended up giving her to my receptionist. She is very well cared for and quite spoiled, which is good.

Lots and lots of good thoughts and prayers coming your way.

-Paul