Of Horses, Flutes, and Tourists

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Blackbeer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Of Horses, Flutes, and Tourists

Post by Blackbeer »

Holy smokes, it seems like its been forever since I said hello to everyone here. It`s been a wild and hecktic 5 or so months and now it`s over, just like that. It always amazis me how ones personnal adventures are carried out in relative isolation when compared to the big picture as it were. The key elements of said adventures, however, are the means by witch we either grow or deminish as humans so I am not swaied by the miniscule effect my adventures have on the rise and fall of civilizations.
This past summer has, to say the least, not been bouring. I came in personnel contact with 48,000 individuals from every corner of the world, delt with one or two of the largest egos I have ever run accross in my life, had the pleasure of becomeing one with a fine team of Belgians who I miss very much right now, and managed to aquire a few realy good flutes and a 1974 VW camper van, Westvalia(no I can`t spell it) no less. I also went from fame and wealth to unknown and poor. Oh well, there is always next season. Although for the life of me I can`t understand why they asked me back. You see I didn`t like either my boss, 28 yr old kid that knew everything, or the owner of the company which made for some lumpy bits on this particular path I was following. But that was then and this is now.
Boy did I get some nice flutes. Folks listen, when you hear people bad mouthing ebay and all the junk that is laid on an unsuspecting public, please don`t let it cut you off from the po tential joy of getting more then you hoped for. I picked up 3 flutes and a piccolo this summer and not one is a dud. One, in fact, is about to be my dream flute when restoration is complete(haven`t started it yet because I am enjoying playing it so much right now). Anyway the ebay list is as follows: two flute and a piccolo from Austraila, a single key in D and a single key in Bb, both made of cocus I think and both in playable condition, the Bb being in perfect shape and the D having a poorly repaired crack in the headjoint. No makers names on either so I don`t know where they were made or when. My guess is late 19th century. The piccolo I bought is a 6 key that I bought to practice restoration on. Now the fourth flute I got from ebay is the one which will be my flute for a long time. It is a 10 key Cloos in D made of rosewood without a crack or blemish of any kind. Now I had read a little about mr. Cloos a while ago and knew he messed with slightly larger tone holes twards the end of the 19th century and I was looking at maybe buying one that had been for sale for the longest time on vintage flutes. When one showed up on ebay, made of rosewood no less, I had to give it a try. Now when I bid on ebay it is with a limit. I plop down what I am willing to spend on a chance and then wait to be notified by email if it is mine or not. This little beauty was mine for a song. I love the way it sounds. My rosewood Dixon has shown me the magic of that wood and now that sound is one I seek. No review hear, just a simple statement of contentment. Now those weren`t the only flutes I aquired this summer. Thanks to Jessie I now have the pleasure of playing a Fred Rose flute in D. What a fine keyless flute this is. And yes it is a wild and crazy thing to play. It will rattle my windows or sneak quietly about. Real fun to play. Of course when I arrived here in Ketchikan back in April there was waiting for me a boxwood baroque flute from Luc. That is my biggest challange now. You see I am, shall we say, less then disaplined in my flute playing. The embouchure on Lucs` little jewell is totaly intollerent of my sloughenly ways and I must adobt a completely different mindset when I pick up his flute. But oh what a beautiful instrument. If you are tempted in the least to try a baroque flute do it. You will either fall in love or not, but you will have nothing to loose and everything to gain.
So now I have about a million flutes :boggle: and a ton of guilt in that I can`t get around to them all. My go to flute is still Mr. Dixons hunk of rosewood. In fact I took it with me a couple of weeks ago when I went south to pick up some of my stuff in Washington and found the most amazing bathroom ot play in. Holy smokes my ears are still ringing from that little session. But I have a few that need a better home so I will be going through my batch to see which ones I can live without.
Well the sun has broken through here on a dismall Ketchikan day so I will have to go out and play. My first winter here. We shall see.

Take care

Tom
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

Nice to see you!

:) :) :)
~JessieD
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Good to hear from you, Tom.

Sounds like you have a lovely flute collection. I must however call dibs on the LeHart should it need a new home. :D

Cheers,
Aaron
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Aaron, the Lehart found a new home a long time ago. Sorry my friend. We just never became close if you know what I mean. And of course it wasn`t the fault of the flute. It was more then ready to become what ever I wanted it to be. I on the other hand only thought I knew what I wanted and have since decided on a different sound and feel.
Hi Jessie, you look great.

Tom
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Great to hear from you Tom! Are you permanently an Alaskan now?

Sounds like you found a keeper in that Cloos flute...what a find being without cracks and all!

Eric
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Welcome back, Tom!
glauber

Post by glauber »

It's very good to hear from you Tom!

glauber
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Blackbeer wrote:Aaron, the Lehart found a new home a long time ago. Sorry my friend.
Good for the flute. Sad for me. :cry:

Cheers,
Aaron
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Hiya!
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

TOM!!!!
good to hear from you, I was just wondering about you yesterday, and here you are!

So, I guess I thought you'd make your way a little bit south of Alaska for the winter! Did you ever get your boat? Or is that for some time later?

What you gonna do for the winter?

Oh, and the Lehart is being enjoyed currently by someone who is likely to become much more proficient on it than I ever will! It's a flute that would really be hard to give up......

Well, let us know what's happenin' from time to timel
Later, Amigo

Mary
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Tom, I swear I was wondering about you a couple of days ago. I'm glad you're doing well, still working with the wonderful horses, and still playing the music! Good to hear from you.

Susan
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Welcome back Tom!
So, you were the one that was beating me and Eilam on all those Ebay flutes! :D
Jon
Jay-eye

Post by Jay-eye »

Thanks to Jessie I now have the pleasure of playing a Fred Rose flute in D. What a fine keyless flute this is. And yes it is a wild and crazy thing to play. It will rattle my windows or sneak quietly about. Real fun to play.
Sounds good, Tom. I've got one coming from Fred, I'm nearly half way thru the 4 week wait he predicted and it's killing me! :o I don't know how I'd survive the months/years it takes to get some maker's flutes.

Seems like you found some eBay treasures too. Have fun having fun!

J.I.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Well J.I. believe me it will be worth the wait. These are dandy flutes.
Jeeze Jon I hope I wasn`t bidding against you and Eilam. I think the flutes I bid on are generaly flutes that knowbody cares about. Like I said I make a bid and just forget it. But I am done buying flutes for a while so it is safe for you two to bid away :)
So, Susan and Mary you are both a little psycic (?). It will be interesting to see where that Lehart ends up. I must say that I haven`t given it a thought except when someone asks about his flutes, which I still think are incredable instruments. But the Cloos is what I have realy been looking for and it even has a double touch on the Bb key. It was made for me and the wierd way I hold the flute. As for this winter I don`t know what I will do yet. First thing I will be doing is some camping in my van. I haven`t had a bit of time to check this place out yet. As for a boat, I will know this Sat. if that is going to happen. If not then it will happen next season. I can`t realy call myself a true Alaskan yet as I just haven`t made up my mind yet. I know this, I would rather be here then down in the real world. Way to many war mongers and fear down there.
Hey Jim, hows it going. Are you still busking?
Well got to go vote;

Take care

Tom
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I was out a couple of weeks ago, then my wife's birthday
intervened and we're off to a conference this Saturday.
Also it's getting cold. Maybe I'll get out again, though.
Practicing Christmas carols. Made 50 bucks last time.
Stay in touch, OK?