Philosophical...and sometimes religious

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

izzarina wrote:
Cranberry wrote:I can make pumpkin pie with no pumpkins.
Now THAT is impressive :wink:
All you need is apples and squash, or sweet potatoes, and of course the nutmeg and cinnamon and stuff. Pumpkin pie is not good because of the actual pumpkin, I don't think. It's good because of everything else, especially when the crust is homemade and really flaky, so if you want to, you can have pumkinless pumpkin pie. Beware that many store-bought crusts are made with lard.

P.S. I have no avatar because I'm more than likely gonna be off the Internet for at least a few months (money issues), so please...nobody post threads about my lack of an avatar or my absense. That bothers me to the point where I just want to bite people.
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

Cranberry, I don't know much about computers honestly but would you be able to access one thru you local public library? I had heard that netzero offers a limited, 10 hours a month or something, access for free. -You're really quite a character, it would be a loss to not see your postings. --mike
Jack

Post by Jack »

Miwokhill wrote:Cranberry, I don't know much about computers honestly but would you be able to access one thru you local public library? I had heard that netzero offers a limited, 10 hours a month or something, access for free. -You're really quite a character, it would be a loss to not see your postings. --mike
Actually, I can access it through my school 6 days a week, but I don't like to. I have a lot I have to do over the next couple months, anyway, and as much as I love C&F, I realise it doesn't exactly help my time schedule. I'm flattered that I may be missed, but I don't want to be (missed). Seriously.

I hardly check it, but if for some reason I need to be reached, gla s s s ci s s or s @ ya hoo dot co m (no spaces) is my email.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Cranberry wrote:All you need is apples and squash, or sweet potatoes, and of course the nutmeg and cinnamon and stuff. Pumpkin pie is not good because of the actual pumpkin, I don't think. It's good because of everything else, especially when the crust is homemade and really flaky, so if you want to, you can have pumkinless pumpkin pie. Beware that many store-bought crusts are made with lard.
Actually, it is a little known fact that the canned pumpkin you get in the stores really isn't pumpkin at all, but some other kind of squash. I have no idea why they are allowed to put 100% pumpkin on the can, but they do. As for crust, I wouldn't dream of buying one. You just have to make it yourself if you want it to come out right :wink:
P.S. I have no avatar because I'm more than likely gonna be off the Internet for at least a few months (money issues), so please...nobody post threads about my lack of an avatar or my absense. That bothers me to the point where I just want to bite people.

I honestly wasn't going to ask (me being the person who started the last thread about your avatar). I figured you had your reasons. And the last thing I need is to be bitten! :P I hope your money issues clear up soon, Cran!

oh, and we will miss you....but you didn't see that part ;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Aw, Cranberry - you know you're gonna miss us. Where else can you get comic relief, religious instruction, cute dog pictures, political drama, and even whistle info all in one place?

Hope school goes great & you hurry back, y'hear? :)

~Judy
andreaz54

Post by andreaz54 »

One word..Prozac. You'll still be bored but you won't give a sh*t. Can I say sh*t on the board?? Well, anyhow I did and I don't give a s*** about that either. See, its so simple.

Do you want my shrinks phone number??

Now I am going to go and obcess over the fact that I, too ,am bored and don't give a s***. Do you think the capability to obcess will alleviate boredom?? I guess I can let you know??!

Don't ponder the meaning of existence. When I do it my husband just looks at me like I have potatos growing out of my ears and says, "you think too much". Maybe that is the key...just use the gray matter as ballast to hold your head together!!!!!!! :)
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

andreaz54 wrote: Don't ponder the meaning of existence. When I do it my husband just looks at me like I have potatos growing out of my ears and says, "you think too much".
Those who think too much can't help it. Existential angst does not go away, because you never figure things out. Befriend it. It will be good company.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

izzarina wrote: Actually, it is a little known fact that the canned pumpkin you get in the stores really isn't pumpkin at all, but some other kind of squash. I have no idea why they are allowed to put 100% pumpkin on the can, but they do. As for crust, I wouldn't dream of buying one. You just have to make it yourself if you want it to come out right :wink:
Yeah, when we lived in the Philippines there were no pumpkins proper, but there were some calabashes that looked like little pumpkins (though in various colors and patterns... not just orange), and they worked indistinguishably in pumpkin pie recipes (the salted seeds are also widely sold as snack items, not unlike in the USA, as are watermelon seeds... which actually are quite good... but beware that if you get hold of the ones imported from China they are apt to be soaked in anise, and thus have a licorice taste). In apple pie recipes we substituted chayote (some people also made a mock apple sauce out of this). In peach pie recipes we used mango (dried mangoes are also good in fried pies). We didn't alter any of these recipes, just substituted the different fruits/vegetables. Some people added something to give a bit of tartness in the case of the "apple pie," but it wasn't necessary... we never did.
Reasonable person
Walden
Jack

Post by Jack »

So...it's October 31st. Internet will probably be gone tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it. I have so many books to read, and even some I'm donating to the library. Plus, I'm starting to excersize (by walking 42,000 dogs).
andreaz54 wrote:One word..Prozac. You'll still be bored but you won't give a sh*t. Can I say sh*t on the board?? Well, anyhow I did and I don't give a s*** about that either. See, its so simple.

Do you want my shrinks phone number??

Now I am going to go and obcess over the fact that I, too ,am bored and don't give a s***. Do you think the capability to obcess will alleviate boredom?? I guess I can let you know??!

Don't ponder the meaning of existence. When I do it my husband just looks at me like I have potatos growing out of my ears and says, "you think too much". Maybe that is the key...just use the gray matter as ballast to hold your head together!!!!!!! :)
I could give you my shrink's number, but he's crazy. Seriously. And that's why I like him. He's $100,000.00 in debt, has been through LSD almost killing him, alcoholism for 20 years, institutionalization, and multiple strokes. He sees me for $0.00, and I really think he's the best therapitst I've ever had. He thinks I should become a psychologist.

At any rate, I don't need Prozac because I'm on Zoloft. :D
emmline wrote:Those who think too much can't help it. Existential angst does not go away, because you never figure things out. Befriend it. It will be good company.
I agree. People have, for the past 5 or 6 years, told me I "think too much", and when they say that, I think about why and how and if I think too much. It actually can't stop. Befriending it sounds like a good idea.
TyroneShoelaces

Post by TyroneShoelaces »

emmline wrote: Existential angst does not go away, because you never figure things out.
Speak for yourself. Things aren't always as difficult as they may appear. It's all in how you look at things. Someone on this board made a valid point that many of the existenialistic viewpoints that were posted reminded him - or her - of the person who spent their life pushing on a door that opened from the other direction.
ever been mugged by a quaker?
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Walden wrote:...the salted seeds are also widely sold as snack items, not unlike in the USA, as are watermelon seeds... which actually are quite good... but beware that if you get hold of the ones imported from China they are apt to be soaked in anise, and thus have a licorice taste...
But that's how they're sposeta be.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

GaryKelly wrote:But, the more I think about it, the greater the ennui.

For example, I think I proved my own existence by the use of the contraction "I'm" for "I am." And, since I've used the words "I think" in the sentence above, therefore I am. And I must be, since I'm bored, and couldn't be unless I actually existed. And since my appeal to the great Himself has been answered by Himself (albeit through his intermediary Will O'B), God knows I'm bored, also proving both my existence and my state of boredom.

Perhaps, though, most tedious of all, is that I have no feathers.

Consequently, if my fossilized remains are found in some millions of years from now by future archeologists, there will be no 11-page discussion thread on the C&F forum of the future concerning either myself, God, or my boredom. It will be as though I never existed at all.

I can't even kill a giant rat (or a dwarf elephant) and arrange to have its remains found near to mine in the hope of generating some brief but topical interest in a few megayears' time.

God I'm depressed.
Ah... but not so... for you see, in coming to (loose) grips with your own existential angst, you have found the very crux of your bisquit - you have set up a chain of events that ensures a host of *un*bored folks in that hypothetical future where your unfeathered remains are discovered.... they can have many artists employed for short periods while they *un*boredly imagine the motled and colorful surface of what would have been your skin, and others will be trying to figure out the religious meaning of the interesting holed tubes your remains were surrounded by, though they will doubtless be baffled for a bit (though certainly not bored) trying to figure out how your wore them, and the fact that the remains of bits and pieces of those old comics stored in plastic sleeves (if you are at all like members of *my* family), and the proximinty of empty bottles of various hue will have them talking, if not thinking, (and therefore not bored) for ... gee... I don't know... at least a few weeks.

Now, if you can just manage to be in some really interesting place (oh wait, that's not gonna happen) when 'the big one' hits... (whatever 'big one' that is - I'm thinking meteorite would be a unique way to go..) you've got it made... or at least *they* do...

See, your boredom is such a gift!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

izzarina wrote:As for pumpkin pie (how far CAN we go off topic anyway? :D ), I bought sugar pumpkins the other day, and made them entirely from scratch. Are you all impressed? :wink:
I'm quite impressed. I've yet to do it. From what my mom has said, it's not easy or quick . . . takes time to cook down the pumpkin and get the consistancy right. Learning to cook from scratch . . . making tomato sauce, baking bread, making pie dough and baking pies . . . are skills that take time to acquire. So, I tip my hat to those who do it. My mom used to do many of those things when she did have time, canned and froze fresh produce, baked pies, and made tomato sauce with the tomatos from the garden.
Speaking of pumpkins, I have been wanting to try a recipie for a yeast risen pumpkin bread. Real bread baking . . . a skill I would like to acquire.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
scottielvr

Re: OT: Philosophical...and sometimes religious

Post by scottielvr »

izzarina wrote:You must not have those airplanes where you live :P
No, but I do have a terrible problem with psychotropic drugs in my well water. And then there're the sunspots, they're giving me fits. But I'll be just fine... as soon as I finish my underground bunker.
:wink:
emmline

Post by emmline »

TyroneShoelaces wrote:
emmline wrote: Existential angst does not go away, because you never figure things out.
Speak for yourself.
Well. I guess I am.